Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
106 West Tri
Quote | Reply
http://www.106westtri.com

Any talk on this race? I did a couple searches but did not come up with anything. If I missed it I apologize. Sounds painful yet fun. Anyone from the area have some insight?
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim will be cold, very cold; think 50s. The bike looks like it will head up to Montezuma so there will be some climbing but nothing too terrible; the run will be pretty flat on the trail around the res. The elevation will be high. Until they release more info that's pretty much what you are looking at.

LSchmitt wrote:
www.106westtri.com

Any talk on this race? I did a couple searches but did not come up with anything. If I missed it I apologize. Sounds painful yet fun. Anyone from the area have some insight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this as well and tentatively have it penciled in for next year. I'm not from out there but spent a week between Vail, Frisco, and Boulder this past June. I accidentally drove part of that bike course (or roughly the same direction, I can't make out what roads/paths they're using) and I don't recall any killer climbs though it might be a steady climb one way and a steady descent the other. The swim is going to be COLD!!!

Honestly though Dillon/Frisco is a cute little town and it's an awesome area to train.
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not from the area either but like to travel around to see new places and venues. A group that I train with is thinking about making a road trip out of it and coming up for a few days.
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is definitely tough to figure out details with the limited information at this point. The swim would be interesting with water that cold. I am guessing the air temps can be unpredictable that time of year as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got it penciled in for next season for sure. Looks like a blast. I believe they are planning on having a $25,000 prize purse as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is definitely tough to figure out details with the limited information at this point. The swim would be interesting with water that cold. I am guessing the air temps can be unpredictable that time of year as well.

It's a brand new race. I am sure other news and information will come out soon.

The people behind it are Human Movement - one of the best race/event organizers in the U.S.

The race that has recently been run that may be most similar to this is the Leadman in Bend. Swim was in a cold mountain lake at altitude ( although not this high).

I suspect that this will be a very well run event, that will attract a good crowd of what I call the core-group - guys/gals, that get it. That are into pioneerism and adventurism - two things that really drove triathlon in the early days of the sport that seem to be very much lacking now, unfortunately. I say, get out of the box, and check something like this out! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very well put. I certainly wasn't knocking them for the lack of information as it was only recently announced. My group of friends love to travel and try new things much like you mentioned. Thus we will definitely be on the starting line to represent Oklahoma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Air temp will likely be ok. Early September in the mountains can be absolutely beautiful. Think high 60s to mid 70s with bright sunshine. The morning temps are cold, but once the sun is out it warms quickly. Since it is only a half I would think they will start the day a bit later giving the temp a chance to rise before the swim start.

I think it looks like a awesome event except that water temp. On a good year the surface temp will hit 60 as a high in August (heat of the summer). The bike and the run will be spectacular. The key for people doing the race will be getting through that swim.

LSchmitt wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSchmitt wrote:
Very well put. I certainly wasn't knocking them for the lack of information as it was only recently announced. My group of friends love to travel and try new things much like you mentioned. Thus we will definitely be on the starting line to represent Oklahoma.

If you go to the following links, there is some SBR course information:

http://106westtri.com/course-maps/swimcourse/

http://106westtri.com/course-maps/bikecourse/

http://106westtri.com/course-maps/runcourse/

Looks interesting...

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like no discussion since Dan featured it on the main page: http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Triathlon_5365.html

I haven't raced long course now in a year or two but starting to get the itch for next season and this is definitely on the radar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Human Movement also runs the Rocky Mountain Tri, which is an "olympic-ish" (800 yd swim, 20 mile bike, 10k run) in early August, in the neighboring town of Silverthorne. I did it this year and it was definitely the prettiest race I've done. Water temp was not too bad (I think about 70), but the swim was in basically a little pond so Lake Dillon will probably be colder. They do a good job of keeping things organized and running smoothly, and they know how to pick a course that keeps you gawping at the scenery instead of thinking about how tired your legs are :) I'm absolutely planning to sign up for 106 West as soon as it opens.
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we have more we're going to write about this. if you haven't see this yet...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 29, 15 16:33
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The gruff cowboy VO is a little heavy handed but I get that they're trying to put their own flavor on a Norseman-esque 'epic' promo video.

I don't know where I fall in terms of the 'typical' triathlete these days, but an independent half in a cool or challenging setting is about the only half distance race I can get excited about anymore. Despite my misgivings and general displeasure with most decisions made by the WTC these days I still would be drawn to a branded event for a full distance race. The crowd energy, fanfare and general spectacle that goes along with the event still sucker me in.

Reflecting on 70.3's on the other hand, I realize that out of the 10 odd ones that I've done that I look back on the more unique independent races with far more fondness than somewhat generic feeling branded events. I'll never forget my experiences at races like June Lake and Wildflower whereas the apparent draw of a branded event, a somewhat consistent atmosphere and experience, has also made them seem dull and repetitive to me. This is combined with the perception that the WTC events that survive and thrive tend to be watered down to get the most people across the finish in the least amount of time.

In the end, I don't need every race to ape the Norseman vibe and pretend it's the most epic race in the world, it's a bunch of middle aged white people in spandex not the summit of Mt. Doom, but I am truly glad to see new independent races in more interesting if not more challenging settings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to answer a question so far unasked on this thread (because i did ask) the voice is "seems like" sam elliot, not sam elliot. and that's a damned good seems like, if you ask me.

this is really the best of branded v unbranded, if you ask me. the guy putting on this race, jeff suffolk, really was at the heart of ironman's production team back when it was roch, huddle, suffolk and the crew working under graham fraser and building the ironman production brand. but since he split off he's rounded out his abilities as an event producer by putting on cultural events (like a big oktoberfest in denver this past week) that probably are beyond ironman's competencies, because this is not what ironman does.

jeff is also not encumbered by the extreme profit motives of PEP and i might write about how PEP has been treating ironman near the end of its ownership tenure. honestly, i think we got out of dodge just in time. think what you want, but i suspect the new chinese owners are going to be a little less penny pinching on the race experience than PEP seems to have become recently.

i don't think jeff will be sharpening his pencil, trying to eke every nickel out of this event.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
The gruff cowboy VO is a little heavy handed but I get that they're trying to put their own flavor on a Norseman-esque 'epic' promo video.

I don't know where I fall in terms of the 'typical' triathlete these days, but an independent half in a cool or challenging setting is about the only half distance race I can get excited about anymore. Despite my misgivings and general displeasure with most decisions made by the WTC these days I still would be drawn to a branded event for a full distance race. The crowd energy, fanfare and general spectacle that goes along with the event still sucker me in.

Reflecting on 70.3's on the other hand, I realize that out of the 10 odd ones that I've done that I look back on the more unique independent races with far more fondness than somewhat generic feeling branded events. I'll never forget my experiences at races like June Lake and Wildflower whereas the apparent draw of a branded event, a somewhat consistent atmosphere and experience, has also made them seem dull and repetitive to me. This is combined with the perception that the WTC events that survive and thrive tend to be watered down to get the most people across the finish in the least amount of time.

In the end, I don't need every race to ape the Norseman vibe and pretend it's the most epic race in the world, it's a bunch of middle aged white people in spandex not the summit of Mt. Doom, but I am truly glad to see new independent races in more interesting if not more challenging settings.

No love for Pigman? :-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's just say I'll never forget Pigman.

Love is a strong word.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually really pumped for this race. Awesome venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pre-reg is now open, public reg opens this Friday.

With pre-reg discount and processing fees the half distance is $140. How's that for value in grass root tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course Jeff gets this race off the ground after I've moved out of town. I did do his Silverthorne race a couple of times. Was nice to do a race that we didn't have to travel to. It'll be interesting to see how they manage traffic on the bike course as its a pretty busy highway. We might have to plan a trip back to coincide with the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on racing - sounds like an awesome challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [ltaylor108] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone seen an elevation chart for the half?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I already signed up, really pretty area, I have spent time out there the last4 years getting ready for Leadville, looks like fun
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry, it will hurt!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well put, I registered today because I like the idea of something different and unpredictable. I hope works out for Jeff, the area is beautiful and I could always use a belt buckle and cowboy hat from a day of Triathletic adventures in Summit County.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next