Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

105 vs Ultegra vs dura ace - new bike
Quote | Reply
OK, so I've had it with my old bike. I bought the bottom end trek road bike with Sora components just to see if I like cycling and tri. I could never keep the Sora components shifting properly and it seems like something was always wrong with the bike.

I'm researching new bikes now, I'm leaning towards a Cervelo P2k on the high end. I need to decide what level of components to get. I found a thread from 1/3/2003 on this forum concerning the issue but everything seemed to focus on there not being a MPH difference in the groups.

Is there a difference in the amount of maintenance required? Assuming that the MPH difference is so small as to not be a factor, what else should I consider? I have not been able to find any reviews comparing the groups, are there any out there? I know Tom D tried to write a review and did not get a lot of help from Shimano.
Quote Reply
Re: 105 vs Ultegra vs dura ace - new bike [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found out this last weekend that at least some of the pro teams replace DA BB with Ultegra because of maintenance and reliability issues.

There may be reasons to go with DA in the deraileur but not in the BB.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a thread within the last week asking some of the same questions. The differences, for most athletes, are probably minimal. But, it seemed like the dura ace rear derailler used pulleys that were a sealed mechanism where the ultegra and 105 used bushings rather than bearings. Other than that, the crank weights are very similar, the ultegra bottom bracket is more hassle free (but some say that they new da is more reliable than the old one), I prefer ultegra brakes due to the cost, and the ultegra cassette is more durable but heavier.

For the $$, I think that it's difficult to beat ultegra. I don't care for black road bike components. 105 in silver would also be tough to beat, but I would upgrade the rear derailler if possible.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recommendation is stop comparing bikes and start comparing fit. Components are such a minor conceern in the grand scheme of things since they are so generic and so easily changed. For instance, say you buy a triathlon bike equipped with Shimano 105. 105 shifts and perfroms very well but for some reason you decide you want Dura-Ace. A 105 equipped triathlon bike probably already has Dura-Ace bar-end shifters on it anyway so all you have to replace is your rear derailleur, cogset and chain. that is a minimal investment set against the backdrop of an entire bike purchase. My problem with "Buying by components" is that people subordinate key factors like wheels selection and fit to having a "better" crank and rear derailleur. In a test we did on crank arms we found the differences between the arms themselves were so small they are likely to even be perceived by a cyclist, even a pro. The cranks that tested "best" were the second least expensive in the test. According to our test protocol, they were lighter and stiffer in the arms than Dura-Ace at a substantially lower cost. All modern drivetrain systems (Campagnolo and Shimano) are serviceable if installed correctly and maintained well. Few bike fits that I see at triathlons are optimized. There is more room for improvement on the bike/rider interface than the rear derailleur, crank, shifter. Components are important, but they are generic and easily interchanged.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: 105 vs Ultegra vs dura ace - new bike [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except for the bottom bracket issue that Frank mentioned, the two groups are essentially the same. I personally think Ultegra is great stuff and offers exceptional value. I have Dura Ace on my time trial bike and Ultegra on my road bike and honestly I'm not sure why the DA stuff.

The only thing I can think of to argue for Dura Ace is in the cassettes. I use DA cassettes because the wear slower than the others.

It is very unlikely that you would be able to distinguish between the two in a blind test.
Go Ultegra. And, good luck!

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I have extensive experience with Ultegra, and recent experience with DA in a TT setup. I currently own a road bike with the latest Ultegra and a Litespeed Saber with the latest DA. While I'm certainly more than completely satisfied with the DA, fact is, I don't find a lick of performance gain from it. I can't speak for longevity of DA vs Ultegra since I haven't had DA for very long, but I can say that I rode the previous 8 speed version of Ultegra for 8 years with no problems EXCEPT the STI shifters, which had to be swapped out at about 6 years. The OLD Ultegra used plastic or nylon pins inside where the DA used metal. The plastic pins simply wore out. But that was also a road bike. I don't know about the new version Ultegra STI on my current road bike, but the shifting seems crisper. Time will tell if they have the same longevity issues.

Bottom line, Ultegra will satisfy all of your needs, especially in a TT setup with bar end shifters vice STI. There is nothing really to be gained except a couple hundred ounces (about 1/3 lb. is all) by going with DA. If you intend to have STI, I'd think hard about upgrading the levers to DA, but certainly Ultegra will be more than adequate elsewhere. Otherwise your $$ is best spent on better wheels. I put DA on my new Saber simply because I got some windfall $$. Otherwise I'd have stayed with Ultegra/600, as I have for 15 years now. The standard P2k build with Ultegra from Cervelo represents one of the BEST values out there. I wouldn't be tempted to upgrade the components, unless you just have $$ to burn after also getting decent race wheels.

Also, my wife has used the latest 105 for several years now without a hitch. Of course she's not riding 100-300 miles a week like I do. The shifting on 105 is less crisp, but no less positive than DA or Ultegra. The braking is more than adequate. The dual pivot design really shows its worth on the lower level groups these days. It is so much more powerful than even the best single pivot calipers used to be, that braking isn't an issue here. 105 would probably require more upkeep over the long haul if you are routinely logging high mileage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cant tell you much about the Dura Ace, but I rode a road bike with 105s for 4 ys and raced 3IM on them, then recently changed the BB and rear dera (to Ultegra) due to wear, there is a noticeable difference in weight, as regards performance it is hard for me to compare as the 105 BB was incorrectly installed in the first place, plus I had different crank lengths!

But I second the P2k, I recently broke down bought one with Ultegra and it works great, I cant tell you how pleased I am with the difference in performance, it was much greater than I could have hoped. Not sure if its the position, the fit, the bike, or a combination, but I am faster on both rolling and flat courses. I did one 6km climb recently on the P2, I need to go back to the hill with the road bike and ride it with same HRT to compare times.

My only real advice is to buy the bike that you will be happy with not only today but a few yrs down the road. It was a hard decision to go with the P2k purely from a $$$ point of view, but I took the view that I want to be happy for yrs to come.

Quote | Reply
sidestepping most of the isses - it bears mentioning that 9 speed DA stuff is already being closeout priced to make way for the new 10 speed. just yesterday i received a flyer from performance with DA stuff over 30% off. DA is not faster, but it IS better than ultegra, particularly as the miles pile on - if the price is the same for each....well..........

this is the way to go, if you ask me. either 105 or closeout priced ( same or less than ultegra....) DA. 'course, you could hold out for the 10 speed. . . . . . . . . . . .
Quote Reply