Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

100 in 100 - Southern Hemisphere Edition...
Quote | Reply
I've just done IMNZ and am looking to get fitter faster stronger before next years event.

Figured I would do my own 100 in 100 given the real one is incompatible with our season here down-under.

Plan is to start on 1 April and finish 100 days later (or when my body/mind breaks down if earlier).

I think I understand it - run at least half an hour every day for 100 days. Can bank runs more than an hour apart.

Up to now, I've been a relatively low volume/high intensity runner which has left me in a vicious cycle of running too hard, getting injured, recovering, then running too hard because I'm running out of time... It leaves me with constant niggles and some injuries which hold me back (e.g., shin splints and piriformis syndrome).

My thinking is replace intensity with volume a long way out and see whether I can build some resilience so I can still get faster, just without the constant threat of injury hanging over me. Does this sound valid?

A couple more questions if I may...

1. A lot of the posts on the main 100/100 thread (most?) seem to be from folk who are 'getting back into' running. I'm trying to take my run from 3:2x to 3:1x (or faster). Taking into account my history above, is this a good use of three months?

2. I'm not good at slowing down. Any clues on what a 'slow run' pace should look like for a ~3hr marathon runner?

If anyone wants to join me, we could start our own thread!

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: 100 in 100 - Southern Hemisphere Edition... [iSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subscribed.

Not likely to get anywhere near 100, but if I can get up to 3x per week consistently without my knees cracking then I'll be happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be interested but currently training for Cairns 70.3 so not sure if I can work daily runs into an already packed training schedule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the 100 in 100. It is definitely a good way to get some run gains. I will be doing my own starting in September, so I unfortunately can’t join you this go around.

Regarding your question #2, easy runs should be “stupid easy” to quote Rinny. Seriously, they should be conversational pace. I mean speaking-in-paragraphs conversational. Use these runs to build some volume without taxing the body much. When I did my last 100, I kept my standard training of one speed workout, one longer run, and one tempo run and used the other four runs as easy days of varying length, depend on my other workouts that day. Some days the run was a warm-up for a workout or a cool-down.

That was my approach, at least. My goal for this iteration is to get back under 2:50 for a marathon again. We’ll see how that goes.

https://www.endurancelab.fit
https://www.teamodz.com
https://discuss.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do my own 100/100 between Memorial Day & Labor Day every year

I actually do BETTER in that one than the Official Slowttwitch 100/100 - last summer I went 87/100, whereas I just finished the ST with 73/100

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Mar 25, 19 6:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd join in but I broke my ankle at Ring of Fire this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 in 100 - Southern Hemisphere Edition... [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slow pace could be anywhere from 5.20 to 6 minutes per km for someone of your ability. Just go on feel and if 5.20 feels really easy do that pace.

Eliud kipchoge warms up at 5 min per km pace...

I’m in nz too and I’d be tempted but always take Monday off.
Quote Reply