Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am a bit baffled why 6:30 mile pace at 2 percent on the treadmill does not translate into at least 7 min pace outdoors

Because I'm lazy ! Put some other runners around me, and I'll do what I can to catch/keep up with them. Put me out there on my own, and I'll just shuffle along quite content with what turns out to be 8-9 min/mile. That's the reason, nothing else.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

So, this question combines the 100/100 and a response you gave in another thread. I actually started the 100/100 on 11/15 and have not missed a day - I am at about day 75. My average running week has gone from about 3.5 - 4hrs/week to about 7 - 7.5/week . . . sometimes just a bit more. Each week has had at least one 90 minute plus run, and three of the weeks have had a 120 minute run. I have thrown in a little (very little) bit of tempo running and have tried to do one 40 minute run with at least 5 fartleks per week. I am handling the load very well and have no current injuries or nags (other than age). I have also been swimming 5x/week and biking my usual on the weekends. My daughter wants to run her first marathon in 5 weeks and I would like to join her. What are my prospects, and what do you recommend from here?

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a runner down, we have a runner down.

The calf/Achilles niggle I felt last week exploded into a fury of pain yesterday while running. Time for a couple days off.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Dev,

So, this question combines the 100/100 and a response you gave in another thread. I actually started the 100/100 on 11/15 and have not missed a day - I am at about day 75. My average running week has gone from about 3.5 - 4hrs/week to about 7 - 7.5/week . . . sometimes just a bit more. Each week has had at least one 90 minute plus run, and three of the weeks have had a 120 minute run. I have thrown in a little (very little) bit of tempo running and have tried to do one 40 minute run with at least 5 fartleks per week. I am handling the load very well and have no current injuries or nags (other than age). I have also been swimming 5x/week and biking my usual on the weekends. My daughter wants to run her first marathon in 5 weeks and I would like to join her. What are my prospects, and what do you recommend from here?

Thanks,

Sorry for the late reply....hey your daughter wants to run a marathon with her dad.....that's a blessing, so whatever you need to do to work her plan! I would go on 6 days per week plan with a longer long run (or a double on the long run day with 30 + 1:45 to 2:15) should keep your 100/100 quest alive AND get you on the long run path for the marathon....but seriously, at 7 hours per week with a weekly 90 min run, you need to do nothing to run a marathon NEXT weekend. If you were to run a marathon next weekend, I would suggest a taper of Tue and Thu 40 min run and Saturday 10 min jog and stretch, which brings you to a 90 min week before say a 4ish marathon (or much faster)....worst case you do a low volume 5.5 hour run week on your marathon week which is much less than 7.5 hours. Then it just becomes a pacing and fueling exercise.

Good news, I get the cyst in my foot aspirated and a cortisone injection today. The hope is that this reduces the nerve ending impingement, and takes care of one side of the nerve and that way the nerve is only compressed at the nerve root at my spine and that once the ending is behaving I can start moving like a normal human without leg spasms on every step and restore symmetry and let my spine area self heal instead of being tugged the wrong way, every step every day.....then maybe I won't need a disc surgery....let's see. In the mean time I am on the 100/100 swim program and around 50-60/100 Woodway Treadmiill shuffle/jog/run program on the days that things feel OK for the challenge. I have gotten up my shuffle speed to 10-12 kph which is somewhere between the 50-55 age group hero (3:30 IM pace) to respectable (4:12 IM pace). So it almost feels like real running on some days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are progressing - that has been a long haul for you! Hope you can avoid the disc surgery. I have some pretty bad degeneration at one level but I have nursed it along pretty good so far. Keep us updated on how you are doing. Your shuffle speed is my "run"! I am trying to keep it going as I start winding down the 55 - 59 age group.

Yes, it will be a great day doing a marathon with my daughter . . . just hope I can keep up! I'm going to finish the 100, which will be just in time for your recommended taper. I last ran a marathon (stand alone) 22 years ago to pace a friend. The last one I really ran was 30 years ago. So, folks think it is weird with all the IMs when I say this is a bit of a new adventure. I really have no idea what I can do, other than I know I can keep chugging.

Good luck today!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jan 31, 18 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys....congrats to everyone who got to the halfway yesterday....today is day 1 of the second 50...or for Eric Reid the start of his 100 runs in 50 days. I guess it is never too late to start!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to wade back in to The Challenge today (47/53). The tweaked calf knocked me out for 6 days. It felt OK running today, while not painful, it felt like it could blow up any moment.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm loving the 100/100! Will there be a support group to help those of us who feel lost and alone after it ends?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck recovering...

I’m at 45/54 runs, so I’ve fallen behind a bit.

Here’s my takeaway. I can tag the run onto a swim or bike if it’s going on early in the day. But the need to get a run done sometimes undoes other training I should be doing.

So, I’m not sure how long I’ll hang in there trying to do daily runs The consistency is good, but the subbing out of other workouts to get in a measly 30 minute run is not good. And that’s the human temptation.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am currently one above par, which allows me to take a day off when needed. I do double runs often, in fact did so yesterday and today. Always to balance out super mellow days.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am cruising along nicely at 83 runs. I've mainly been doing doubles, mostly in the same pace range with a few long runs or slightly harder runs mixed in. I also ran a trail half marathon in there last month and I'm working my way towards something, not sure what. I'm going to shift to less doubles and mix some longer runs in for one run days at the same mileage I had been doing with two runs. My goal at the start was to build my mileage up and lose some weight. I'm down about 8 lbs since the start but I did not officially weigh myself on 12/15.

I purchased a used Peloton on eBay last week mainly for my wife but I'll start mixing in some rides as well. I road for the first time in ages yesterday and it was nice to get back on a bike, even if it is a spin bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode 100km on Zwift yesterday but still ran last night and again today. Still one above par
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PSA: It's way easier to stay on pace (or ahead of it) for the 100 in 100 if you don't go snowboarding and sprain every bloody tendon in your right ankle taking a hard bail on an icy slope, flipping over a couple of times in the process. Guess my board got a little stuck in the snow as I rotated and body tried turning with my foot locked in place - felt like someone whacked my boot with a damn sledgehammer.

Osteopath appointment last night (at 24hrs from injury) got me limping along without a cane now, but who knows if I'll even run again before the end of the challenge.

So bloody bitter about this. I'd been making good decisions, taking pretty solid care of myself, and had half a dozen runs banked. Ah well - at least my last run was a pretty one. 4 hours in 4" of fresh snow on Saturday with more still falling, as part of a friend's fundraiser for mental health initiatives and research.

Two minutes after this photo there were no further thumbs up...though I did manage another 5 runs on the hill before calling it a day. I've attributed the whole thing to the new pair of snowboard boots I had to buy that morning after discovering my old ones were falling apart. They were a little too small, and I couldn't get my binding strap cranked down as well as I'd have liked, so didn't have quite the rock-solid connection to my deck I'd like for maximum control. Damn things tore the hell out of my hands lacing them, too - clearly cursed. Fortunately I was able to return them so they won't have another chance to wreck me!

Quote | Reply
Oh no. Heal fast. And remember the 100x100 is not all and everything. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I started Nov 15 . . . so, today was 92 (if I count right). I have run at least once every day (no misses) and have doubled 1/2 a dozen times. My goal was to stay injury free - so far, so good.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took a day off from running yesterday, but I am still 61/61 after my 9.96 mile run today. Feel generally good and will soon double up again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took a day off yesterday as well. I had planned on doing a longer run in the morning on Wed but got caught up in some work things and only had time for 5 miles in the am between conference calls. It was nice in the afternoon so tried to go out for 4-5 more and struggled big time. I was really fatigued the rest of the night and when I woke up yesterday - like the energy bank had been completely depleted. So just walked yesterday. Walked the dog this morning, may take the day off from running again but it's 50+ degrees so it's tough to pass up the opportunity to run outdoors here in NY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's up with the medal thingys on the challenge?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly fell of the wagon over the last few days. Did a double run (with a 4 mile walk in between) last Wednesday and decided to take Thursday off (very busy with home renovation work). Then got even more immersed in the rewiring job and failed to run Sunday as well.

Next two days will be around 70F or warmer which is insanely warm for Philadelphia in February. Hopefully construction work will not prevent me from getting some more miles in.

Not sure how this years excessive amount of treadmill running is working out. Been doing a lot of 30 mins-let's-see-how-fast-i-can-go runs rather than last year's running ... 45-70 miles a week out on the trails of the Spanish mediterranean. On the other hand, I have zero racing plans so it doesn't really matter much - just weight control and feeling good.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:

Hey! I threw them in to see how we like 'em. Gold cup = exceeding 100%, Gold = 90-100%, Silver = 80-90, Bronze = 70-80. Otherwise no medal for you.

Thoughts?

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Tri3 wrote:

Hey! I threw them in to see how we like 'em. Gold cup = exceeding 100%, Gold = 90-100%, Silver = 80-90, Bronze = 70-80. Otherwise no medal for you.

Thoughts?

-Eric

Oh great, with my running being close to zero due to ongoing disc issues, now you offer medals. I'm not even on pace for a lead medal or a wood medal!!!!

OK OK...barely 1 month left to go. How are you all doing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
Tri3 wrote:

Thoughts?

-Eric

Oh great, with my running being close to zero due to ongoing disc issues, now you offer medals. I'm not even on pace for a lead medal or a wood medal!!!!

Haha!! Sorry! I'm just glad you could put in ANY runs. And I'm coming back from some time off so just barely getting my volume going. Every run I do vaults me up the placings (currently 187th).

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
Tri3 wrote:

Thoughts?

-Eric

Haha!! Sorry! I'm just glad you could put in ANY runs. And I'm coming back from some time off so just barely getting my volume going. Every run I do vaults me up the placings (currently 187th).

-Eric

Can we vote on cutoffs for lead and wood medals. If this cortisone shot I got today is effective, I may be able to get back to some treadmill shuffle jogs before end of challenge. I just checked the log and I have 34 runs in. If we can get some fluffy snow around here again, then I can definitely log a bunch of easy snowshoe runs which work well with my disk issues landing on soft snow. I COULD have a shot at 50 if the snow cooperates....I don't cover much distance in those, but it's real running with weights on my legs on a soft surface!!!! So what's the cut off for lead and wood medals? Tell me that the 34 runs I have gets me over the 33 run cutoff for wood!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the first time that I have taken up the 100/100 challenge. Because of the weather in Toronto I have been doing most of my runs on a treadmill - last winter was so much nicer. I did get out for an icy run last week-end along the shores of beautiful Lake Ontario though and thought that this thread could use another picture.

I am the one on the right waddling across the ice.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 100/100 is complete! (I started 11/15) I ran every day, and 6 times did doubles = 106/100. I am a bit fatigued, but not at all injured. Not sure I'll do it again, but it was kinda fun. I'm anxious to see if it has any positive effect on summer run fitness.

David
Quote Reply

Prev Next