Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
I am currently 30lbs out of racing weight (5' 11" and 200lbs). I have bought the book "racing weight" and I am trying to follow as many of the ideal eating patterns as possible. I have also set a goal beginnng today to burn 1000kcal per day though exercise 6 of the 7 days per week.

I have noticed my Sunto watch and powertap are within 5% for the reported caloric expenditure at high zone 2 intensities. When my HR goes up the predicted values on my watch are lower then the measured power tap values.
Not sure what running/skiing would be like, but it is cool that the watch prediction is fairly accurate with one type of execise at the zone I spend most of my time training.

myfitnesspal Get it, live by it, love it! :)
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 1000kcal a day goal was pretty much just meant to be a carrot. A goal for each day. Thats all. I still have Key workouts for running, swimming and biking, and throw in some xc skiing 2-3 times per week.

Someone said it earlier. smartest post of the thread.

You can't out train your mouth. Diet is obviously an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [dbrienza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome site. Amazing resource. I will be referring patients to this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barefoot running is the only way to run! (purposely inflammatory post to drive the count up on this thread!!!)
Last edited by: FTDA: Nov 29, 11 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
This thread reminds me of this:

I think she confused it with largess. Pretty common mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Buy an Apex bodybugg.

ZackC. wrote:
Quote:
the powertap data is POWER= very accurate KJ measurements
kj is roughly equal to kcal.

Dude. If your powertap told you how many kcal you burned based only on the power you expend to turn the pedals then the value will be off by a VERY large percentage. I certainly hope you're not trying to tell me that your body doesn't burn calories generating heat, etc, and that there is no need to take this into account.

Here's the deal, without HR data, your PT has to solve the following problem to get total calorie expenditure:
Calories expended to do mechanical work over time at the rear wheel hub (about 10-15% of your body's total calorie expenditure)
+
Account for "other" calories expended by your body, in the form of heat, work done on other parts of your body (a la out of saddle sprints where you move your torso), biological processes etc. (about 85-90% of your body's total calorie expenditure)

My point is simply that the PT isn't some gold standard for measuring calorie expenditure because it is extrapolating the 85-90% based on the 10-15%.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FJB wrote:
I am currently 30lbs out of racing weight (5' 11" and 200lbs). I have bought the book "racing weight" and I am trying to follow as many of the ideal eating patterns as possible. I have also set a goal beginnng today to burn 1000kcal per day though exercise 6 of the 7 days per week.

Why not just eat a well balanced diet and exercise 1 hour per day and forget about the numbers. You'll lose the 30 lbs., before this thread is finished.
---

This is Slowtwitch so stop being so damned sensible or I will find you and hit you with a Bangkok phone book..I am actualy going to Phuket tomorrow so be warned..

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
The 1000kcal a day goal was pretty much just meant to be a carrot. A goal for each day. Thats all. I still have Key workouts for running, swimming and biking, and throw in some xc skiing 2-3 times per week.

Someone said it earlier. smartest post of the thread.

You can't out train your mouth. Diet is obviously an issue.

If you are 5'11" and 200 lbs, do you know an (approximate) percentage of bodyfat? By going after 1000 calories a day of calorie burn you may also sacrifice muscle tissue and (potentially) bone density. Say you are at 25% BF, then you could stand to lose a few pounds, but if your LBM is already fairly high you might want to hold onto some of that weight and learn to train with the added mass and power, then diet down about 5-10 lbs for racing. Just my .02.

Part of the Slowtwitch Strength Training Association. Picking up something heavier than a bike makes me happy.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't change my mind. At all. Where do you get that idea from? Nobody posted anything substantive yesterday (although I may have missed a post or two) so I quit wasting my time on all of you, especially paulo and the other trolls/flamers that were messing with me.

I tweet!

Last edited by: ZackCapets: Apr 3, 13 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quel wrote:
JRenfro wrote:
clearly if Paolo has information that is relevant to this thread, he is purposefully being abstruse.

So, IMO, it just some like he is being a dick.

Pretty much.

Paolo probably has as much tri knowledge as anyone else on this forum. But you learn as little from him as anyone else on this forum. He knows that and enjoys whatever his role is here. I know little and teach little, so I have little room to complain about it. But you aren't alone in noticing it, that's for sure.

I'm of the opinion that he is just a dick. You can't just give vague insults to responses in every thread or just say "you're wrong, idiot" and expect people to think you actually can back up your words by saying what the supposedly correct (according to him) answer is. If he did that even once in a while, I'd probably listen more but he never does. At least I've been on this forum for quite a while and I have never seen anything resembling a response that says "you're wrong, here's the right answer".

Part of the Slowtwitch Strength Training Association. Picking up something heavier than a bike makes me happy.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [ponyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Backdoor brag so sorry. When I was racing MTB I weighed 168lbs to 172lbs. I was not crazy lean but well below 10%. I could perform chinups with 45lbs plate between my legs and bench 200lbs for sets so I had no strength issue at that weight. In fact had I dropped my in season and off season weight training I would likely have done better with 10lbs less upper body mass. I wish I could get to that power to weight ratio again, my skiing would likely beneifit. Backdoor brag done, again sorry.

I am currently closer to 20% (out of my ass guess) so I can afford to lose at least 25lbs to get down to 175lbs. 1000Kcal is not an issue with my crappy diet. Though I am working on that. I just recieved a link to a great site :)
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [ponyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo's posts are some of the most valuable on ST, and if you take a look at many of the critique me threads - he's actually quite helpful.

The problem most people have - which leads them to believe that Paulo is an assclown - is the expectation for an answer, followed by an explanation. In my experience, paulo tends to simply answer the question at hand, and move on. No explanation given - he is not in the business of education or spoon feeding knowledge to people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.firstbeat.net/...iture_estimation.pdf

States that conventional based estimation error can be 20-35% for generic HR based calculations. 7-10% Error in beat by beat estimation.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [elpete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I have a shit load of reading (again), though I imagine you were meaning to reply to Jaret as I have not concluded, or suggested, that this method is as accurate as power based measures.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
Francois wrote:

she didn't confuse it with anything, it never happened.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/...-quiz-question.shtml
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Topper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Topper wrote:
Goosedog wrote:
Francois wrote:

she didn't confuse it with anything, it never happened.http://www.hoax-slayer.com/...-quiz-question.shtml

Quit screwing with the joke man.
Last edited by: Goosedog: Nov 29, 11 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Topper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What??? A claim on the internet that never happened!!! Oh the humanity. Makes me wonder if the claim that my FTP of 475 watts will not be believed. : (
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
I didn't change my mind. At all. Where the fuck do you fools get that idea from? Holy shit. Nobody posted anything substantive yesterday (although I may have missed a post or two) so I quit wasting my time on all of you, especially paulo and the other trolls/flamers that were messing with me.

I take it you missed the post late yesterday where I refuted you using the first study that you cited. I'm attempting to be civil and engage in discourse, but it's hard when one person has their head buried in the sand.

So far that I can see, anyone with any kinesiology background disagrees with you, the study that you cited originally refutes your argument, and your only response is "it makes sense, prove me wrong".

Tell me, does the term pounding sand down a rathole mean anything to you?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Devlin wrote:

And i have to say I've learned a lot from paolo on this forum.

Hopefully you will learn to spell my name right ;)

Paulo. There, the day isn't a complete loss. :D

Stoopid phone keyboard while spinning on the trainer :-/

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
I didn't change my mind. At all. Where the fuck do you fools get that idea from? Holy shit. Nobody posted anything substantive yesterday (although I may have missed a post or two) so I quit wasting my time on all of you, especially paulo and the other trolls/flamers that were messing with me.
My apologies. So your position is still:

Quote:
In fact, if the PT isn't using HR to calculate expenditure, then I'd say the data is about as useful as a poopoo flavored lollipop.
Quote:
I think it would be hard for you to make the case that a model based on rear-wheel power only (assuming the PT isn't collecting HR data) is better than one that takes into account HR, height, weight, etc.
Quote:
Here's the deal, without HR data, your PT has to solve the following problem to get total calorie expenditure:
Calories expended to do mechanical work over time at the rear wheel hub (about 10-15% of your body's total calorie expenditure)
i.e. the body is 10 - 15% efficient

Keep reading...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what has worked well for me. I was able to get to my leanest weight in years this season, training for IMWI:
  • LoseIt!, iPhone app and website. I used it to log calories in vs calories out.
  • Calories in: I read labels, look stuff up, have a food scale, measure what I'm eating and log everything.
  • Calories out: for the bike I just use KJ from the Powertap. Close enough. For the run, I have my height, weight and age set in my Garmin 305, I log the calories burned given to me by the Garmin, close enough. For the swim, I SWAG 600-~750cal/hr based on hard I was working, close enough. I even downloaded a free pedometer app to approximate calories burned when I'm walking the dogs :-)

I recommend you configure LoseIt! to calc a calorie budget for you based on 1lb of weight loss per week. .5 is very easy. 1lb is very doable. But at 1.5-2lb/wk you really will start bumping into calorie deficits, on the edge of bonking, not recovering well after workouts issues.

I've used this method, off and on, for a couple years. When I log my meals and my exercise, I cut fat. When I don't, I don't, or at least not as much as you think I would given the training hours. More importantly, it really changes your perspective on diet and exercise.

--

--

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
What the fuck is wrong with you people. Seriously can nobody here write a fucking statement with out someone acting like a little prick just caught cutting class. Grow up and start making claims with some writing to back it up. If you have time to read the post that do not complain when someone replies.

This whole fucking thread turned into a pissing question with nobody offering anything of real value.

Eh? I don't follow. Before I started writing this there were 53 posts by you (just in in this thread) in 28 hours. Based on the times you did take a 9 hour overnight break from posting so at least you have some perspective, but damn, you're looking to break jackmott's average or something. I mean, if the lavender room is taken into account, you've been a busy person. 160 posts since the 20th?

I hope those statistics are the writing you are seeking when making claims.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Paulo's posts are some of the most valuable on ST, and if you take a look at many of the critique me threads - he's actually quite helpful.

The problem most people have - which leads them to believe that Paulo is an assclown - is the expectation for an answer, followed by an explanation. In my experience, paulo tends to simply answer the question at hand, and move on. No explanation given - he is not in the business of education or spoon feeding knowledge to people.

What's mildly amusing to me is that some of the fastest, (apparently) smartest athletes on this forum agree with Paulo and understand his methodology in "answering" questions, while the rest...continue to bang their head against the wall.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jealous?

Jackmott is our God.

Quite stalking me, it is a little flattering but also unnerving.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
What's mildly amusing to me is that some of the fastest, (apparently) smartest athletes on this forum agree with Paulo and understand his methodology in "answering" questions, while the rest...continue to bang their head against the wall.

Don't worry, some of us slow dumbfucks think it's funny too. We just don't know why.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly wasn't including myself in either of those two categories. Paulo has yet to help ME with anything (and we all know it's all about me in this world, me being the general "me") so I couldn't care less. Nonetheless, it is really funny, especially since I know the protagonist and his reputation locally (well I guess he isn't a protagonist b/c he hasn't undergone any character maturation...anyway).
Quote Reply

Prev Next