Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
I don't know the history of Paolo and ZackC, but clearly if Paolo has information that is relevant to this thread, he is purposefully being abstruse.

So, IMO, it just some like he is being a dick. The topic isn't one of national secrets, so if he or anyone chimes in, I don't understand the point of being so obscure in one's point or lack thereof.

I'm sure most people on this forum aren't physiologists or care to research the topic so that they can understand it as well as Paolo claims to, so if he knows it why not put it out there.

I noticed that rroof, answers questions regarding sports injuries, with clear answers. Is he getting paid to do this, doesn't seem to be. He is just being a nice guy contributing to the forum.

Second time you come in with nothing to add, except calling me names. And *I* am the dick? Child, please...

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you just wore him out and he probably went to bed.

If you are going to argue everything don't expect people to keep playing.

You are the one who got off on a tangent about electric motors and tried to put words in his mouth, I thought he was honestly trying to help you. I thought I remember him saying a few times how it didn't apply to this but you kept going on and on. I don't know why you were arguing off topic unless you were trying to draw attention away from something else. That's probably why he mentioned something about a strawman.

Here is something new to argue. The sun (Sol) is not shining on Columbus right now.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [mtbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtbr wrote:
The sun (Sol) is not shining on Columbus right now.

Nonsense. With Urban in town, it's going to be sunny everyday.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't wait until we get to the energy source argument for the electric motor. Then the battery analogy. Then we can argue about whether or not two different batteries store IDENTICAL amounts of energy. One battery might hold 500 watt-hours and another 500.25 watt-hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The electrical motors was due to PIGsmashers comment, the one where I was labeled a dumbass. I am sorry for standing my ground. I did not create a strawman, a claim of 100% efficiency of an electrical motor is not true and so ambiguous that no matter what direction I took it could be misconstrued by the talent in the forum.

My position stands. No one has offered a better position to me, which would be required for any rational person to change there position. Including you. Thankyou for the info, the sun is not shinning here either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
leaving the semantics, I found it comforting that the two "predictions" were so close. I feel much more comfortable using my Suunto as a guide in the future to track caloric expendature.

I should have stated the predicted Kcal from the measured Kjoules~!

Unfortunately, it seems we can never leave the semantics to stay on the intended spirit of the thread. We would rather argue the semantics like children, stray wildly off course, and forget about whatever it was you wanted to talk about.

I for one understand the limitations imposed by both the HR and the power meter models and formulas. Glad to hear that they came out similar, and thanks for sharing. It allows you to have some faith they are probably reasonable numbers to measure your 1000 kcal per day against and know that you did do 1000 or real close. As Warren Buffet says "it is better to be approximately right than precisely wrong". I think a lot of people get too tied up in being precise, and don't realize they are wrong, or at best they are not actually any more right, they are just more precise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
No one has offered a better position to me, which would be required for any rational person to change there position

It's not "rational" to switch positions from missionary to doggy, but it is nice.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is rational when my "seat is to high".
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
I don't know the history of Paolo and ZackC, but clearly if Paolo has information that is relevant to this thread, he is purposefully being abstruse.
I think Paolo's information was simple, clear and understandable: a powermeter is better at measuring caloric expenditure than HR based algorithms.

ZackC originally wrote authoritatively that powermeters were completely useless for measuring calories burned but slowly changed his mind as he read a few documents. Once he reads a few more he'll agree with Paolo and this thread will wither away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't remember him calling you a dumbass, in fact I thought he was very civil, maybe it was in one of the posts he deleted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PIGsmasher wrote:
FTDA wrote:
There are far more variables than distanced traveled. Physiologically , the type of aerobic system used, the required energy for cooling, etc. are going to affect the calories required to produce that work. As well as the physical diferences, wind resistance etc. I think you have gone to far in the simplification. Think of the energy required for a 4000lb focus to travel 1 mile in 2 minutes and a 4000lb Veyron to do the same in 1/4 minute. Different work output, different energy requirements despite weight and distance being the same.

Dumbass,

An electric motor is about 100% efficient, a cylinder motor is less and the human body is less that that.... Walk or run is about the same. There is only 1 energy pathway in our body... It's related to ATP

Post 106. Second post he generated towards me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then why were you being so hostile to me?

Edit: Forget it I don't care, done with my shower, going to bed

Also: Urban can't do anything against Michigan :)
Last edited by: jaretj: Nov 28, 11 19:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just noticed he said ABOUT 100% efficient. How close to 100 does it have to be for it to be ABOUT 100%? 90%? 80%? 50%?

I have learned to always leave a window open with such words.

The Ordu has about the same drag as the P4 right?
Last edited by: elpete: Nov 28, 11 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Urban is going to fix the stuff that happened in Michigan :)
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An issue with the medium I guess, and my syntax. I also felt as though I was being belittled. I may not have the experience you do with motors, I would apreaticate clarification of your position if it applies to the argument PIG was making. If not we can and should move on.

I will piock your brain later on the electrical wave properties of brushless motors later.

This roller seasion is flying by. Though I hate pausing the "walking dead" I have a good feeling they will find sophie.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [elpete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an issue with the wording of his reply. When discussing things such as accuracy in this thread I would perfer to be as close as possible. 100% is a specific number, above 90 % would have been more accurate for a greater number of cases, from my reading.

Mayb e he meant I was close to being a dumbass?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not with a bang, but a whimper.

And i have to say I've learned a lot from paolo on this forum. I have a background in kinesiology, and his posts prompt me to update or refresh some of my knowledge.

You remember shit more if you learn it for yourself rather than having it spoonfed.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
And i have to say I've learned a lot from paolo on this forum.

Hopefully you will learn to spell my name right ;)

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean a wimper????? That was an awesome ending to the first half of the season. What will happen now.

Back to breaking bad.

I remember my Kin days fondly. Continuing you education is paramount beyond the doors where you earned your degree.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about powercranks?
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's more like gelding ninnies.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [elpete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elpete wrote:
Can't wait until we get to the energy source argument for the electric motor. Then the battery analogy. Then we can argue about whether or not two different batteries store IDENTICAL amounts of energy. One battery might hold 500 watt-hours and another 500.25 watt-hours.

Well after some exhausting research on the topic I came up with this for the mythical power source:

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Alaric83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread reminds me of this:

Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Alaric83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This topic has crossed the buttered cat event horizon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am currently 30lbs out of racing weight (5' 11" and 200lbs). I have bought the book "racing weight" and I am trying to follow as many of the ideal eating patterns as possible. I have also set a goal beginnng today to burn 1000kcal per day though exercise 6 of the 7 days per week.

Why not just eat a well balanced diet and exercise 1 hour per day and forget about the numbers. You'll lose the 30 lbs., before this thread is finished.
Quote Reply

Prev Next