Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took me until the next day to respond to your response to me. If all your stalkers are so slow you don't have much to worry about.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Nonetheless, it is really funny, especially since I know the protagonist

Did you go ski with him?

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha no, the fitness is too ''trick'' for me. He's also a little too ''jackedasshitalready'' for my tastes. Ahhh, piss and vinegar. When I was in college I knew everything too, just that I limited it to history. So, totally useless.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your procrastination worries me. Perhaps you need to work on your efficiency? You are definitely on the bottom of my "stalker priority scale"

Do you have anything to add to the Run vs walk debate, or are you just kicking tires?
Last edited by: FTDA: Nov 29, 11 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Hahaha no, the fitness is too ''trick'' for me. He's also a little too ''jackedasshitalready'' for my tastes. Ahhh, piss and vinegar. When I was in college I knew everything too, just that I limited it to history. So, totally useless.

With all the wealth of experience and information he puts out there I somehow assumed he was really good. Nevermind. I beat him at 70.3 Worlds and I suck. I must remember that post count does not equal expertise. Except for jackmott of course.

Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
Nonetheless, it is really funny, especially since I know the protagonist

Did you go ski with him?

He couldn't Zach's fitness is too trick.

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [sniper100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sniper100 wrote:
With all the wealth of experience and information he puts out there I somehow assumed he was really good. Nevermind. I beat him at 70.3 Worlds and I suck. I must remember that post count does not equal expertise. Except for jackmott of course.

In his defense he's significantly better at short course than long course. It's a pretty dramatic difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

Shoot. Need to read the next post. Oh well.

Knowing everything about history isn't useless, it's going to win Newt the presidency.

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He would kick my ass there then. I try to stay away from anything that doesn't involve a long bike ride.

Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah...i believe I did miss your post. So, can we quantify the errors associated with each and objectively say that one is better than the other?

If so it does seem that power is better. Touche gentlemen.

When you factor in cost and versatility, I think HR is the clear winner, but PT does seem to be the best in terms of accuracy.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
What's mildly amusing to me is that some of the fastest, (apparently) smartest athletes on this forum agree with Paulo and understand his methodology in "answering" questions, while the rest...continue to bang their head against the wall.

I find that sad actually. The "fastest" and "smartest" managed to somehow lord their knowledge of training/exercise over the "slowest" and "dumbest" without anyone managing to learn a single thing. This is one of the worst threads I've seen on ST all year, ruined by egos that were too busy trying to look important to help anyone out. Well done everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there anything to add? This idiocy derailed more than 200 posts ago. I'm just here for the ambiance.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not learning something from this thread is on you. I certainly did and I don't mean it sarcastically. I would've assumed Zack was correct initially as I've always assumed HR was a good tool to estimate calories. I had never thought that a PM would be preferable, but now I know. Not that I really care about calories.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you.
Why the hate on for me? Honestly.
I apologize that I can post quickly and am near a computer for the greater part of my day, and find this all entertaining.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
Ah...i believe I did miss your post. So, can we quantify the errors associated with each and objectively say that one is better than the other?

If so it does seem that power is better. Touche gentlemen.

When you factor in cost and versatility, I think HR is the clear winner, but PT does seem to be the best in terms of accuracy.

HR is a winner if you accept that it may be wildly inaccurate for a given individual. However, it has the advantage of being cheap and immediate, which is about the only thing the general masses care about. Something they can look at that says "Good boy, you're working out!" HR correlation can be done on an individual basis, but for a general HRM available to the masses, it's like making one size fits all underwear. PT is much more accurate, and the ergometers that they use in labs are basically bike sized powermeters (Yes, I'm being very general). But, they've been using those for many decades, and comparing it with indirect and direct calorimetry (For kinesiology purposes, direct calorimetry is measuring the heat generated by a subject, done in a closed chamber while exercising. Non-direct is a few different methods of measuring expired gases, expired water elements. HR is a noncalorimetric measurement), so the accuracy rate is much greater. The kj to kcal equation has been accepted for a long long time.

HR is just a horrible metric to use for caloric estimates.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [sniper100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is my local reputation? I don't believe i've been anything but friendly with your former teammates (and every other athlete i've raced against). I race fairly and considerately, and I have fun with it. You've obviously mistaken my facetiousness for a lack of humility, a sure sign that you hardly know me.

To sniper:
2010 marked a random foray into the world of 70.3, and I got chewed up and spit out. Clearwater was just my second half, and I'm clearly a weak 70.3 racer. James rightly points out that i'm a markedly better short course athlete--the shorter the race the better--but I really have accomplished very little in my own opinion. At the same time, though, i've made sure to learn something about every one of my workouts, races, and injuries--those who know me best recognize that i'm a student of the sport. I like to think I could be much faster if I weren't plagued by injuries the way I have been, but I submit to you that speed, knowledge and experience are essentially 3 independent variables and that speed shouldn't determine how much credence you put in anyone's statements. Case in point, some very very fast guys are pretty foolish (gemmell), whereas less fast (not slow) guys often have more valuable info to share (jackmott).

And, I'm only human. I'm not infallible, and I made an error of interpretation today/yesterday and I defended it until someone did better than simply tell me my view was wrong.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: 1000 Kcal per day (weight loss thread) [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not picking a fight man. I know how the injury thing is since most of my season this year was a wash with foot injuries. As far as the local rep comment that came from James so you'd have to ask him about that one although you might be replying to both of us in your post. I came in late to this thread and disagreed with your argument but its not a big deal. Best of luck going forward, I'll be staying clear of you on the short course events. My swim sucks comparatively. Gotta have more time on the bike to make up for it.