Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, nobody is going to accuse me of spreadsheet chasing anymore. 6 days off of everything while on vacation. I had every intention of running a couple days, but I was having too much fun drinking, playing golf and laying by the pool. Now I am going through re-entry and it sucks. Easy 6 miler tonight with my wife, hoping to still reach Bronze status.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done lots of 30 minute runs too, but I make no apologies or excuses. I was doing them before I started looking at these challenges and I'll keep on doing them because they are very convenient for me. For the 100/100 challenge last year, I did start doing them much more regularly, and to make the 100 runs I even doubled up on 3 or 4 days. Sure, more longer runs would likely be more optimal training but triathlon is just a hobby for me and in the winter the added inconvenience is not worth it. Just doing more 30 minute runs increased my mileage. This year I wont make the 100, and more of the runs I've done are just the minimum, but so far I think I've only doubled up once too. If this challenge next year, or any other challenge for that matter, doesn't fit the training I'm doing I simply don't sign up. I like the extra run focus through the winter though, so if the official rules change to something that doesn't work for me I'll probably just do the current challenge again on my own.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Micawber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys....nothing wrong with lots of filler 30 min runs. Let's say someone was doing 3x45-70 min runs per week and adds three more 30 min runs, they are adding 90 min of volume to their week....that's exactly what I am hoping people achieve.

Doing 9x30min runs in 48 hours.....well that's a bit ridiculous.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are all a bunch of cry babies cying WA-WA-WA-WA-WA-WA-WA-WA-WA :( Come-on guy's why cant we all just get along :)
Did 6.30 miles in 45 minutes and 15 seconds. Still feel a bit sore. A freind has a eletric bone growth thingie ma jigee to help heal and help the bone regenerate... I guess ? Anyone ever hear of that ? I am basically running every other day now and should hit the 100 no problem. I have some down time at work and could put this on while at work and home. Figure even if it is full of hot air could not hurt to try. So lets start talking about this instead of arguing about runs . Yes Dev is right and more then 3 -30 minute runs is not optimal. If that is all the time Ninetoe can get to jump outside away from work and family good for him to use his time running or biking. I am sure there are worse things he can do. Ninetoe tired of doing laundry? I have some for you. On top of my families laundry and mine man I am tired of doing it. In fact I am tired of buying it too.
Wow 9 thirty minute runs thats alot of laundry.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy now, folks. I thought we were all grown men and woman here. Name calling is not very appropriate. I get more respect at work and they are bloody convicts who had murdered their wives, kids or others and even those child molesters have more respect for me. So, could we end this discussion on this matter and return to more inspiring stories. Yes, I do laundry sometimes. Could you please resume to your training and just forget, ninetoe ever existed. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Guys....nothing wrong with lots of filler 30 min runs. Let's say someone was doing 3x45-70 min runs per week and adds three more 30 min runs, they are adding 90 min of volume to their week....that's exactly what I am hoping people achieve.

Doing 9x30min runs in 48 hours.....well that's a bit ridiculous.

Dev

agreed...almost as ridiculous as doing an hour uphill TT in the middle of a 3 hour ride the night before a leisurely 3k-180k-21k training day ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [ninetoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Easy now, folks. I thought we were all grown men and woman here. Name calling is not very appropriate. I get more respect at work and they are bloody convicts who had murdered their wives, kids or others and even those child molesters have more respect for me. So, could we end this discussion on this matter and return to more inspiring stories. Yes, I do laundry sometimes. Could you please resume to your training and just forget, ninetoe ever existed. Thank you.

Don't let it get to you. You had your reasons for doing your training the way you did. It may be unconventional, but it seems to work for you. You were the first member of the Platinum Club this year doing it your way. I joined the club a few weeks later and soon there will be more. Let's welcome everyone to the club as they make it and not be concerned with how each person got there. Doing all those 30 minute runs may not be the choice for everyone, but it's still a damn good accomplishment to get 100 runs. Be proud of what you did and ignore the naysayers.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [ninetoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to admit that two days of 9x day sounds really appealing to get the challenge over with. :)

Pretty much once Ragar is done with I'm just going through the motions to keep up my distances until
I decide what to do this season. :)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3.75 miles today to hit 90 runs. Leg hurt.... probably should have laid off but have alot of time to recover today as our company will be out of service today for alot :( of drill school. we won the lottery and got a probie. Seriuosly anyone know anything about that bone regenerating thingie, friend that has it said it helped their stress cracks in their shin's before Boston last year. Will try to keep it to the minimun 30-40 minute runs for rest of challenge every other day if it feels right.

Quote | Reply
Actually the hour uphill TT as well really know is the reasonable part.

The rest of the stuff is the ridiculous part :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Actually the hour uphill TT as well really know is the reasonable part.

The rest of the stuff is the ridiculous part :-)

It all sounds absurdly ridiculous - if by ridiculous you mean totally awesome!

I know that the idea of a challenge can stir up some obsessive behavior, but I'm still surprised by the amount of "finish the challenge" attitudes. Truth be told, I'll most likely be finishing in the low 80s, but I'm glad to say that missing runs is now a function of scheduling rather than condition. My volume has stabilized at 40-45 mpw, my paces are gradually coming down, and aside from a recent explosion of blisters, injury hasn't restricted my running for quite some time. Maybe I'm in the minority thinking this, but the state of my run on day 101 is infinitely more important to me than any run completed on days 1-100. I'm just curious what folks are going to do when the challenge is over, their legs are battered, and (for most) the build stage of this training season hasn't even begun. I've been there before - and it sucks.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting into the home stretch now. Have been far less ambitious this year - will probably make it to bronze, though I may pick things up a little and make it up to silver.

The decline in frequency and volume this year has both its negative and its positive components. On the negative side, my motivation has flagged significantly this year. It doesn't take much in the way of poor weather, schedule conflicts, or the like for me to skip a run. A major goal I have for the coming season is to find a way to rediscover my enthusiasm for racing, and to once again enjoy the training for its own sake.

On the positive side, it's much easier to keep yourself injury-free if you're a little less driven. Have babied every trace of injury that I've had this year. I'm remembering back to last year, when it was non-stop issues with shin splints, tight calves, or whatever else. Much better this year. Had a very pleasant ten mile run last week, up to the top of a big local hill (about 650 feet) and back. Other than a minor hot spot on my foot, nothing was hurting at the end of the run.

I could maybe get to like this sort of thing.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm just curious what folks are going to do when the challenge is over, their legs are battered, and (for most) the build stage of this training season hasn't even begun. I've been there before - and it sucks.

In my case, will attempt to become enthusiastic about riding in weather that's colder than I'd really like, in frustratingly strong winds, on roads that are covered with tons of sand, salt, and other crap. Just have to keep reminding myself that this sort of thing is required in order to make the later season rides (especially the group rides) not suck.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am off to a two week tri camp in NC. Ninetoes will be there too. I am a 57 year old female and when I need a Testosterone rush I just read the last 30 or so entries on this string. Have fun boys.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that the idea of a challenge can stir up some obsessive behavior, but I'm still surprised by the amount of "finish the challenge" attitudes.
[..] I'm just curious what folks are going to do when the challenge is over, their legs are battered, and (for most) the build stage of this training season hasn't even begun. I've been there before - and it sucks.

I'm a goal oriented person. It's not called the 80/100. ;)

Seriously, I just like to do the best I can. Here on the board, this is the closest I'll ever come to the podium.

My legs aren't even close to battered. Ok, they sort of are, but only because of Ragnar last weekend. In the past I've had
a spring race I start really adding the biking into to ramp up. I never made it so I was battered coming into the big
training sections. Hmm....tempura... Where was I?

-Jot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm just curious what folks are going to do when the challenge is over, their legs are battered,

Whose legs are battered? I was running every day long before this challenge started, and when it ends I'll still be continuing. The challenge didn't make me do anything different than I would have been doing anyway.

Don

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Whose legs are battered?

My legs are slightly battered. I made dinner tonight, and wasn't any too neat about it.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, if you'd wear a chef's apron those kind of things can be avoided. Be careful of toasted legs in the morning!

Don

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One leg battered the other ready to run a marathon:) In regards to what to do after wekk the March bike sufferfest i think is a good idea. think I am going to change my name to the hurt locker for all the wrong reasons. I kidd actually have a appointment to see podiatrist monday. I also would have been running without challenge as since I started running I always wanted to do thirty mile weeks then fifty mile weeks became a goal then 60 and then 70 mile weeks. I reached them and cannot wait to get back to them. but in the meantime biking and swimming.

Quote | Reply
"....Maybe I'm in the minority thinking this, but the state of my run on day 101 is infinitely more important to me than any run completed on days 1-100...."

Burnman, yeah, that's actually the entire point. The spreadsheet is a means to get your fitter (and hopefully do it injury free). The point is not to get "100 runs in". That's just a means to the ultimate goal which is to be fitter at the end of the 100 days. How do you do that? Ideally with more mileage. "Getting 100 runs over with early" is certainly not the idea of it. The idea is to spend a third of a year or so, jacking up run mileage through frequency.

But realistically I can only say what the intended goal is. People can choose what they want to do. I'll still call someone out if they deviat in an crazy way from the underlying intent of the challenge cause to some extent, it's my party and there are loose set of rules in the party house.

OK, meanwhile I am just on track for my personal goal of 800K over the 100 days. I think I am a few days ahead of 8K per day average.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a cold so a couple days off. hate it. today was my last big run before my 50k. I'm pissed. Mad

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped logging my runs in the ST log, I am currently at 72 as of today, over the past few weeks, I broke my foot, started a new job and got the worst case of Strep I have ever had.

THis morning, I jumped in a local 5k to test things out and was happy with an 18:37.

10k last saturday 39:11
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken foot and a 18 minute 5k You suck too :) Sure it was Strep and not that kissing sickness Mono ? Awesome job on the races. Went out today and ran 4 miles well.......took me 35 minutes but I gimped along. Wanted to make sure I could accuratly descibe the pain to the podiatrist 2morrow. That was run 91 or 92. i am to sad to see where I stand in the standings.

In a scottish accent
" You see, I run because i am getting fat, I am fat because I cant run , it's a vicious cycle I tell you."

Quote | Reply
well, im pretty sure it was strep, but with no health insurance I was stuck with an old bottle of antibiotics which fixed it right up....unfortunatly, I still have to take them for 8 more days....and im super sensative to sunlight now so my long rides are on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just be careful with the antibiotics and taking them all the time. Lots of vitamin C will do wonders or just let it run it's course. Do not want to weaken your immune system. Hope you feel better !

Prev Next