Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know, i do that occasionally (but not too often, i drop 8-10 spots in that case).

i just wanted to give dev shit - it's his challenge, and he bitches that people compete on the basis of the name and the default rankings - if he has a problem about it, he should change the format.

just like last year, he talks us into a 100 runs in 100 days challenge, and then complains that people aren't supposed to go for 100 runs, they are supposed to go for mileage. or they're not supposed to go for mileage because they'll get hurt. i can never tell what is with that guy.

add pink as you deem necessary

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am trying to rank it by best smack talk (I'm sure JenHS would be at the top), but I can't find that column.

Dax
http://dirtyrunning.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to catch up just did another 35 minutes on rollers. Whilst cooking dinner for the wife and kids :)

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [dax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn straight I'd be at the top!

:-)

Got in some close to puking speed work today. Felt great. Took advice from coach and a few others on recovery and it is helping. Better food intake, stretching and going to bed earlier.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you guys don't shut up, I will change the set up so it is ranked by distance!!!

EDIT: Or I can make the minimum requirement 45 minutes just to piss off all the crew that do a gazillion 30 minute runs (take a look at the standings now....) I'll leave it that way for 24 hours to witness the annual uproar :-) :-) :-)
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 26, 10 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can make the minimum requirement 45 minutes just to piss off all the crew that do a gazillion 30 minute runs (take a look at the standings now....) I'll leave it that way for 24 hours to witness the annual uproar :-) :-) :-)

No biggie as far as I'm concerned. I lost a few runs, but not enough to lower my place in the standings.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yo ...... that was not fair there was a lot of 38 -44 minute speed , threshhold, legpounding, at the edge of puking - what ever you call it in my workout's. Anybody can go loooooooong and slowwwww but not everyone can go fast and looooooong :) Okay my leg is just about healed up and feeling fine but going to give tonight to see how it feel's before I run or maybe tommorow. either way I will have logged over 9 hrs this week with biking and swimming so no loss so to speak. Just hope my legs are stronger for it.

Wait just looked......and.............and............ i am still ahead of you :) Oohhh and please edit the it's not to late to join Title to at the top of the forum page. Geeze i really need to run tomorrow !

Last edited by: bmanners: Feb 27, 10 4:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Click on Dist. on top column he has it set up to have the rankings anyway you like it . Just like a Big Mac.

Actually that'd be the Whopper! Have it your way!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should make the minimum length for a run 7 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
semantics..... either way I have not eaten one or the other in 5 years

Quote | Reply
Wow!
I just gained at least 50 places!
I am in the top 5 now!
can we keep in that way :)

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, for you Fred, I have to change it back to 30 minutes to stay with the spirit of the spreadsheet chasers :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the record I stuck to a plan, half baked as it may have been but a plan none the less. For the most part the ( until the shin thing ) plan went as planned. Since it was a run "focus plan" . Anyway leg feels good and I am conteplating going out for a run right now not to long little more then enough to make it count though. Not that I am spreadsheet chasing though. It's hard I have seen like 10 people run by the housewhile on the rollers and a few more when I went to pick my daughter up from a unplanned sleep over. One more cup of molokai coffee and I think I am going out for a long (35-40 min.) slow run. And the zensah shin compression thingie seems to work along with the unplanned rest this week. If you can call 8 hrs of biking and swimming rest but that was second part of this seasons plan anyway. I did not intend to right plan so much. LOL.... I think i got plan in there at least 10 times which was planned.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sadly, for you Fred, I have to change it back to 30 minutes to stay with the spirit of the spreadsheet chasers :-)
Just a suggestion for next year, and I am not sure it's possible at the moment. For me at the early stage the most important is to increase volume via frequency to/and avoid injuries. Then I progressively put more emphasise on longer runs and faster (still short runs, e.g. track sessions), so the goal is eventually to run faster AND longer. We could have rules changing as the challenge progresses. For instance min 30' for the first 1/3, 45' second 1/3 and 1h third 1/3; or improvement of speed relative to what you run originally during the first 2 weeks, + x% per period of time. I know it makes the challenge more complicated and part of the attractiveness is its simplicity, but it could sharpen further people's mind on fitness gain. Just a thought after a good evening run ;-)

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that idea.

Did 4 mile's @ a 8min 45 sec pace. Still felt a little sore will take tommorow off of running and try on a softer (treadmill) surface monday if it feels okay.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...or next year we can just make it mileage based with a minimum of 4 miles. I think at this point most who have participated, get the concept that mileage goes up with frequency, but some people (ex Ninetoe), seem to not get the concept that at some point just doing countless 30 minute runs is not really optimal. I should just go set the minimum to 30.00001 minutes to see what happens :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you leave it at 45 mins?

I haven't even bothered tracking any of my shorter runs but I just joined the 2010 miles challenge so I should go back in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninetoe did alot of running and hopefully stayed injury free and I hope at least got faster for it. Hopefully he/she keeps building on that mileage stays healthy and comes back stronger and longer next year. As this is a means for people to get better . Right ? It was interesting just watching all the runs ninetoe did I guess it was a breakfast, lunch and dinner thing. I would hope ninetoe would post some before 5k/10k times and after 5k/10k times. Some are very limited in time and the only way to get that run in is a quick 30 minute run when ever you can. I know I jump at most oppurtunities to bike and run when given no matter if i can get a quality 30 minute threshold or long 1 hour or more workout. Now i got to go back into smacktalk mode after gettin mushy.

Quote | Reply
have you looked at his (ninetoe) runs? I just looked at them now, I am all for double run days but quad (and quint) run days is pretty silly and pretty obviously chasing the challenge. Now if that is ninetoe's goal (winning the challenge) that is fine, he is playing with the rules he was given. Is it the most effective way to improve your running? I can think of better use of training time than running 5 times for 30mins in one day.

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the end, it really does not matter how you slice and dice your mileage (to some extent). If the challenge gets someone out doing 4x30 minutes in a day, so be it. Better than no running at all. While it may not be optimal compared to a mix of short and longer runs, its better than a low number of short runs only! That being said, next year, I might just make it a mileage oriented thing with a minimum of 4 miles to count. This way, if you are already out, once you get passed 4 miles, you may as well continue and do 8 rather than artificially cutting it off so you can do a second 4 mile run, because there will be no incentive to the artificial slicing and dicing of runs for the sole purpose of spreadsheet chasing!

Anyway, 75 days done, 25 to go. Looks like solid performances all around. I guess I should change the title of this thread.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I guess I should change the title of this thread
well if someone joined today and ran 4*30min for 25 days they could still get to 100 ;-)

Speaking as someone who was a little guilty of chasing the spreadsheet last year, I can say that the challenge should "challenge" you and if that is running four times a day then great. People are trying to get different things out of the challenge. For me this year it is about keeping my mileage somewhat descent during a bike focus winter.

I was really thinking about the logistics of 4 runs a day, that is 2hrs of running but also another 30-60mins of prep/shower/etc time... I can't imagine that.

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will log my latest runs later tonight. Finished Ragnar Relay again this year.

Had a runner drop at 10:00 p.m. the night before the race,
so had to run four legs instead of three. Bad news is that the additionally leg
was just a continuation of the first, so I don't get an extra run. Four
runs in two days would have been nice so I could take Monday off too.
The runs were something like:

In less than 24 hours. First run started at 0830. Third run started
at 0600 the next day. Roughly four hours of sleep between them.

Once again, I credit the 100/100 with helping me be able to run without
injury on something crazy like this. Not sure I'll be back for next year though.
Not because of the four mile requirement but because I think I need to spend
the next "off season" on a big swim block.

I won't be back for Ragnar though. Four years in a row is enough. Need
a break from that.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge: we're into the final quarter! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I took the 100/100 challenge as a motivation to stop driving my car to the pool. I have to take detours to make it add up to 30 mins, which I do, and a longer one on the way home. But, dropping the 30 mins mid-challenge is kind of unfair, since I'd have happily done a longer detour.

In a way, that's still spreadsheet chasing, but, that's what ALL this stuff is. Pace clocks, HRM's, metal man, race results ... its all a bunch of pointless numbers. I'm not prepared to concede that the spreadsheet is any more pointless. Rules are rules. Don't change 'em mid-party.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was thinking the same also about swim next year. I just spent so much time as a teen in the pool it is so dificult to get in there and just do it. Even after I get in there. I need a nice warm climate year round with a ocean to swim back and forth in the the riptide like when i was a kid and my father fished the Jetties. My brothers and I would find the riptide and see who could swim out the fstest in it. Then see who can get farther in to shore before swimming out of it. Every now and again one of us would get in.

Prev Next