Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well let's hope the Ottawa 35-39(I just aged up this month) guys are going to implode as well :-)

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev et al - question regarding effects of this challenge on participants vis-a-vis their FTP workouts. Apologies if this question has been asked have not kept up on all the entirety of this thread.

Quick bgnd on my favorite topic, me - have completed numerous HIM and one IM but not been training steady last couple of years because i have a young family. so bike consistency has been 1-2 rides per week and running 18-25 mpw year round (generally on lower end). started ramping up both in september as i'm doing IM AZ next year. prior to the start of the challenge i had 5-6 weeks of consisting 40 mpw off 5-6 runs per week. i've kept mileage consistent at 40 mpw during non-recovery weeks but increased to 6-7 runs per week for the challenge. also trying to get in 3 quality rides per week. run endurance was my downfall during last IM so i'm hyper-focused on strengthening legs for the mary.

Here's the question - are other peeps seeing only very modest increases in their FTP during this challenge or is it just me? also, dev and others that have done the challenge before how have you followed-up the 100/100challenge in the month after? reduce running to 5-6 runs per week and hit the bike uber-hard? or just a standard IM early season build?

cheers.

"In life we don't regret the things we do, but for lack of courage the things we don't" - Anonymous
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I plan on running 6:00/miles for 500 miles on the last day to take the overall lead.

No one will suspect a thing.

-Jot

Man, I'm not sure that is a good idea. While I'm no expert, from what I have read on pretty much EVERY SINGLE PAGE of this thread increasing your mileage by 500% in one day is probably not a good idea. I'm glad this warning is conveyed to us in every third post of this thread because I'm sure no one has ever heard of this crazy concept before. Jesus people, give it a break. Most people on here are adults and will run what they want, eat what they want and drive over the speed limit if they want. Most people who are able to make it to Slowtwitch, register for access to Slowtwitch, register for the challenge and find this thread have the inherent ability to conceptualize the possible ramifications for their behavior and then make decisions about how much to run or not to run, whether to eat the entire jar of nutella in one sitting, or drive over the speed limit and all the warnings from the self proclaimed experts in the world will not change their mind.

How about instead of all the rambling pontification every third post in this thread a common message is used, like an autotext stating:

"Run too much, Run too often or Run too fast and you might get hurt"
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soldified a bronze today. Run number 70 was a nice steady 2:08 on a chilly morning in Kelowna. Felt pretty good for the first 18k or so, but the last 5 my hammies were burning. I have had a couple of big bike weeks that have definitely bagged my legs a little. Looks like I will hit 60 hours of training this month, with five months until IMLP.

Loving the computrainer.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny tidbit, you have run 70 times. I have run 51 times. You've run 340.82 miles, I've run 341.36 miles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny tidbit, you have run 70 times. I have run 51 times. You've run 340.82 miles, I've run 341.36 miles.

In another words she just said you are getting "CHICKED" CaptCanada :) Hope that is clear, just tell her you were doing "other" training and that should leave a good visual.

Okay........ I really want I mean need to run but am holding back , for the record I brought my wee injury to Dev, scot and other run gods they did not preach to me. I understand by ramping up mileage injuries are going to incur. Hell injuries will occur anyway. Last five years of running I have had pulled muscles and even battled through a case of PF. Think if you listen to your body and catch the injuries before they get out of hand your body and mind will be stronger for it. Going to the gym now to swim and do core. Then back home to the rollers for 45 min to a hour. Think this will be the first time in two years that I specifically went to the gym to swim first. Usually swim right after the bike or run in a brick workout.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Yep. I guess I am not training for any 100 milers ;)

Shall we compare bike mileage and time in the pool this month?

===============
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last I checked this is a RUNNING challenge. And I'm kicking your ass.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GIDDY UP !!!!!!!! GET ' EM :)

Quote | Reply
I believe the challenge was to run 100 times in 100 days ... which one of us will reach that goal????

Do the math, I am also running faster than you heheeeee.

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guarantee I will have more mileage than you by the end of this challenge. Speed? Who cares? I'm still running more miles, less frequently. You can be a pussy and run 30' each day or you can man up and do some real runs.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guarantee I will have more mileage than you by the end of this challenge. Speed? Who cares? I'm still running more miles, less frequently. You can be a pussy and run 30' each day or you can man up and do some real runs.

Hehe, I can "man up" or I can continue on with a proper training program. Nice try, I almost bit.

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hiding behind a "proper training program". I'd sad for you. Pussy.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boy am I looking forward to spending three days in a car with you in August.

Note to self: stock up on beans, garlic, onions and beer.

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And yet, only one of you has started a "Waaaah I can't recover from a recovery run" thread...
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Point taken.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incorrect. Running Frequently is the MEANS to get to higher mileage. 100 runs in 100 days is just the title but the real goal is to jack up mileage. Just doing a whack of short runs for the sake of doing short runs is not the real goal. Jenhs beats you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Incorrect. Running Frequently is the MEANS to get to higher mileage. 100 runs in 100 days is just the title but the real goal is to jack up mileage.
+1. I've done the previous challenges and found that it's exactly how it worked for me. It's a mean to gain fitness and add some motivation on cold rainy days. What is even more interesting is the changes occuring over time/training. I usually start 'slowly', skipping few days and at slow pace. Buy mid point I can run everyday, then I double some days (commuting both ways) and crank up gently but surely. Toward the end I am stronger, injury free, running a higher mileage faster. So for me the total mileage or speed over 100 days is not that important, rather I am interested in the mileage and speed of the last week.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Incorrect. Running Frequently is the MEANS to get to higher mileage. 100 runs in 100 days is just the title but the real goal is to jack up mileage. Just doing a whack of short runs for the sake of doing short runs is not the real goal. Jenhs beats you.

Sigh.

Dev are you not the one who harps constantly on not increasing your mileage too much? Here you are piling on and tempting me to put on the huge mileage so that I don't get chicked on a message board. I am jacking up the mileage. I am also jacking up the bike mileage. And swimming whenever possible. February will be a sixty hour training month and I am not one to pad my numbers. This is all scheduled around my 55-60 hour work weeks. I have never done a short run "for the sake of doing a run". I put them in my program as recovery runs and bricks.

Anyway Canada had a frickin awesome day at the games today, so you are all only pissing me off a little, not a lot.

Screw you guys ... I'm going home.

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awwww.....awre you feweening a widdle sensitive?

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little sand in my vag. It'll work itself out.

===============
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did CaptCanada just pack up his ball and run home with it ? Hope you longated that run home with your ball to al least 30 minutes :)

Quote | Reply
Quote:

Then why is the challenge ranked by number of runs? sounds like it should be ranked by mileage.

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Click on Dist. on top column he has it set up to have the rankings anyway you like it . Just like a Big Mac.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did CaptCanada just pack up his ball and run home with it ? Hope you longated that run home with your ball to al least 30 minutes :)

Nah, I biked home, maybe you should have done the same?

February Bike Sufferfest

Captain Canada 26:09
bmanners 14:01

;)

===============
Quote Reply

Prev Next