Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't!
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I crossed 10,000 miles ridden in 2020. Yep....I live in Wisconsin so lots of Zwift miles. But because I live in WI I also log plenty of nice and slow fat bike miles as well as daddy daughter MTB miles :) 457 hours logged just in riding this year so far. 544 miles per week average the last 11 weeks since my last race. I also do a fairly reasonable strength program....I'm 42 after all :)

In the sense of humility I share this not to look like a brag, but rather to show my enjoyment for the process and share what I've learned. Racing so far is cancelled for 2020. My last race Fat Birkie. The one biggy I really looked forward to in 2020 was Rift Iceland. I no longer swim and run. Gravel, MTB, Road. I try to do it all. The cancellation of Rift was very hard mentally, but after about a day I got back into my program :)

I look at things like this as a science experiment of sorts. I used to see the pro peloton and long course pro triathletes as untouchable. Even back when I was doing long course tri (1 IM finish) I couldn't comprehend how those folks could do so much work and race so often. Now with huge volume and meticulous....everything....I get it. My body has become robotic. I have not had a single bad day of training in 2020. I've ridden back to back huge days a few times (300 this weekend). No issues. That used to be unfathomable. I truly believe volume trumps everything. I think I'm living proof of that. The pro peloton is proof of that. Same with the long course pro triathletes. The ability to recover becomes amazing. And again I'm no spring chicken!

For 2020 the one change I've been mostly successful is sleeping a bit more and holding myself accountable to that with a Fitbit. All I use it for is to track sleep. I believe that gives me yet another marginal gain and further reduces the risk of bad training days. My diet is mostly diverse. I have lost about 10# in 2020 to get to "race weight." Race weight for me is veins showing in abs. I spent 4+ months losing those 10#. Slow. Methodical. Some days it hurts a little bit, but I believe we can lose weight and not power. I can get to these super cut weights and not lost watts. I only count protein from animal sources in terms of meeting my protein needs. I eat a ton of vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains, but do not count that as protein in terms of meeting my feeding needs which for me is a full 20 shot about every ~2 hours while away. Am I doing it wrong? Maybe. But I keep on ticking like this. And 1000g days of carbs are fun....

As I age up I'm less driven to race so hard. I'm looking more to help others by volunteering as a personal coach to several and I'm currently acquiring my NICA license. I am looking to empower, inspire and give back when I can. I want to be able to share what I've learned and continue to watch folks I guide do things they never thought possible. It's actually an incredibly wonderful circle. I inspire them. They inspire me to continue to push the envelope.

What's next? I'm going to be less consistent with huge mileage. I rode 23,500 last year. I might get there again, but not by riding 80 miles every day. Rather I might get there through some monster / stupid type rides. 100 mile day of single track? Target a fastest known time across WI? Everesting? It's all on the table. The harder the better.

I hope everyone else here is having an awesome journey in 2020 as well!

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m at 18000 miles. Lots of Zwift as I live in Michigan. If this pandemic did not occur I would probably be at 20000. For the last 3 months I have been taking it easy.
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Notice any increases FTP or power outputs above threshold, already acknowledging that you are down 10#?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post! Great data points!

At 48 years old I just crossed 1,000 miles running for the year. Not biking. Not swimming. It's nowhere comparable to your 10,000 miles on the bike so far but it is a big number for me.

I'm running about as well as I ever have and like you, I feel great. I totally agree that volume is the key. If I had run this much 15 years ago it would have been interesting to see what kind of results I would have seen. Now I am happy to not be slowing down (much...…)

Keep up the good work!

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
I’m at 18000 miles. Lots of Zwift as I live in Michigan. If this pandemic did not occur I would probably be at 20000. For the last 3 months I have been taking it easy.
You're at 18,000 miles this year?
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:

If you average 22 miles per hour, which knowing your history is not unfathomable, that is around 820 hours in the saddle this year. Or somewhere between 37-38 hours per week on the bike. Then there is the running and biking that you are still doing at a high level...… This is, of course, why you are one of the fastest AG triathletes around.

Life is all about priorities. There is no way that I could prioritize training the way that you do and have the other things that I like in my life. Not a critique. Just an observation.

I am simultaneously jealous and horrified ;-)

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I've been an endurance athlete all my life and went into the last couple years of heavy volume already very fit.....I believe my upside was limited.

I know my 5 minute power is still about the same or a hair better. FTP same or a hair better. My long range power is up, but that could be a combination of fitness, constantly improving fueling / etc. I feel like I can go all day long at previously impossible power numbers. Some of my longer rides I literally don't start to feel like the engine is really firing on all cylinders until 3+ hours into the ride. Every single long ride I've done this yer my average power is highest at the end of the ride. For sure fitness is some of that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does it feel like to be 1 up'd by danstu in the first reply?
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please read this again:

In the sense of humility I share this not to look like a brag, but rather to show my enjoyment for the process and share what I've learned. Racing so far is cancelled for 2020. My last race Fat Birkie. The one biggy I really looked forward to in 2020 was Rift Iceland. I no longer swim and run. Gravel, MTB, Road. I try to do it all. The cancellation of Rift was very hard mentally, but after about a day I got back into my program :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are on course for the 1000+ hrs year. In the early 90's talking to my XC skier friends, this is how they measured their annual load because as a skier, you can't ski all year....so you ski, you run, you do weights, ride bikes, roller ski.

At least back then, 1000 hrs was pro circuit "requirement", 800 hrs you're breaking into national level, under 600 hrs, not enough for regional. Like you said, volume trumps mostly everything.

I've been on 700-850 hrs per year since 1985. I never did a year over 900 hrs. At almost 55, I still do mainly 14 hrs weeks (2 hrs per day or 730 hrs per year). Right now I am slightly ahead of 730 hrs target.

During Covid19 lockdown I have only missed 2 days of running. I am tracking to hit 1000km in less than 13 weeks (one quarter). Like you I am focused on becoming robotic and getting it done. My second workout of the day is biking, but I have no large bike targets. The ride is there to get me ready for tomorrow's run and help me hit the 2 hrs per day target.

What I find most impressive of what you are doing, is doing it mainly in a single sport. Aside for 4 years that were 1200km per year swimming (so around 400 hrs for the ENTIRE YEAR, not 5 months), I have broken my year over 6 sports (bike, run, swim, XC ski, speedskate, weights). My only experience doing bigger volume in a single sport all year was those swim years, but then I focused on learning all 4 strokes so it felt like 4 sports. I suppose with the different types of riding you are doing it feels different....I can't wait to get back to the pool. My target 1000km running should end minimally as lakes get warm enough at which point I will cut out half my run volume and replace with swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Yesterday I crossed 10,000 miles ridden in 2020. Yep....I live in Wisconsin so lots of Zwift miles. But because I live in WI I also log plenty of nice and slow fat bike miles as well as daddy daughter MTB miles :) 457 hours logged just in riding this year so far. 544 miles per week average the last 11 weeks since my last race. I also do a fairly reasonable strength program....I'm 42 after all :)

So now we are counting trainer time as "miles?" I'll give people a pass that stop riding outside for whatever reason, that's your choice, but it you didn't go anywhere you didn't log miles.

Besides that, the data you give means you averaged almost 22 mph. I'm calling shenanigans.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
danstu4 wrote:

If you average 22 miles per hour, which knowing your history is not unfathomable, that is around 820 hours in the saddle this year. Or somewhere between 37-38 hours per week on the bike. Then there is the running and biking that you are still doing at a high level...… This is, of course, why you are one of the fastest AG triathletes around.

Life is all about priorities. There is no way that I could prioritize training the way that you do and have the other things that I like in my life. Not a critique. Just an observation.

I am simultaneously jealous and horrified ;-)

Ok I’m an idiot. I looked at Strava wrong I’m only at 6000. So not that impressive. The 10000 is very impressive! Carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, looking at my data I haven't even ridden 1k this year.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry that my miles don't meet your expectation.

But yes....I can generally go 22 mph all day long. This is from Saturday. Again...I just like riding bikes so did another 160 for the weekend after this. :)

Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
At least back then, 1000 hrs was pro circuit "requirement", 800 hrs you're breaking into national level, under 600 hrs, not enough for regional. Like you said, volume trumps mostly everything.
This is gold-- good breakdown and cross-sport perspective. I've seen a similar breakdown on getting to Kona from Alan Couzens on his blog about competitive tri and Kona qualifying. Seems like 800/yr is the likely minimum cost of admission to Kona, with 1000 getting everyone of his athletes who has ever tried it onto the big island.

https://www.alancouzens.com/...kona_qualifiers.html

Quote:
That said, I can only recall 1 athlete in my history of coaching who trained a 1000+hr year and didn’t qualify (and he did qualify off that base the following year). Given the time commitment & a bit of persistence, a Kona slot is a realistic possibility for just about everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
should have put it in pink, just messing with you (and Dan) ;)
Last edited by: Sean H: May 26, 20 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:

Congrats - that's great volume! What does the "reasonable strength program" involve, especially with most gyms closed?
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do:
3x / week:
Posterior chain, core, pushups (15 min / session)
Glute / hip / box jump type routine (15 min / session)

Simple yet effective

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me tell you what. I wake up and Dan is on Zwift. I go to sleep and Dan is on Zwift. Dan is always on Zwift. People think I'm an insane zwifter with 31,000 miles. I'm like you haven't seen anything.

BTW, you need to jump in a race with us since everything in cancelled. We typically race Tuesday around 6pm and Saturday mornings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I do:
3x / week:
Posterior chain, core, pushups (15 min / session)
Glute / hip / box jump type routine (15 min / session)

Simple yet effective
How do you have time to exercise so much? Do you have a family/demanding job?
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't do down time and keep simplifying as much as possible.

I have a wife, full-time+ job and 2 kids 13 and 15. My 13 year old rides.

That means on recovery days I'm still up at 4:00 Sunday morning coming into work. Luckily work is 1 mile from home.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I just don't do down time and keep simplifying as much as possible.

I have a wife, full-time+ job and 2 kids 13 and 15. My 13 year old rides.

That means on recovery days I'm still up at 4:00 Sunday morning coming into work. Luckily work is 1 mile from home.
How many hours a week do you average at work? I'm just trying to wrap my head around what your schedule looks like, you're clearly much more driven than me lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very impressive speed and power for 6h+

how does the set-up of your madone compare to your domane?
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actual time working....likely....45 hours.

Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both bikes setup as closely as possible. Same crank length. Same handlebar (XXX aero non-integrated 38mm). 120mm stems -17 on both bikes.

Differences: Madone is lower and longer. I have identical stems on the bikes otherwise I'd do a 130 on the Domane to get it closer. It's still higher no matter what.

I did the regular bar / stem on the Madone as my wife rides that bike mostly. Therefore the standard stem can be swapped for her 90mm in minutes.

The Domane is not slow. I would have to go back and check, but I think apples to apples it's lighter than the Madone. I have been unable to find a noticeable difference in speed, but it's likely the Madone is a hair faster.

Quote Reply

Prev Next