Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1/2s in the Southeast
Quote | Reply
I was planning on doing the GFT in may but mywork schedule will prohibit that. Does anyone know of any halfs in the southeast US (or east coast) in April or before. I am planning on doing IMFL and want to get a half in early. I checked with Active and Trifind. If all else fails I will do Caliman, but would like to find one closer.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2s in the Southeast [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The White Lake Half Ironman is in early May, around the 9th or 10th. It is in White Lake, NC and the race is put on by Set Up Inc. (www.set-upinc.com). Set Up puts on really good races and this one might be a good prep for IMFl. The entire course is pancake flat, so you'll see what the terrain feels like for a long race.

I hope that helps.

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GFT is actually in October. You might be thinking of GCT, the Gulf Coast tri in Panama City. Some other options are the new WTC 1/2 IM at Disney, also in May, and the Lake Chatuge 1/2 IM, which is in May or early June, in North Georgia/North Carolina (see www.gsmtc.com). The WTC event will be huge because of the newness, location and Kona slots. The Lake Chatuge event is a small, grass-roots tri that drew about 125 racers last year on what I consider a very cool course (perfect lake swim, very hilly, scenic course and shaded run).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did mean the GCT. Thanks. The White Lake Tri looks perfect. Thank Y'all. Keep posting more tris if you like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be prepared for almost anything at White Lake. Last year it was not wetsuit legal, and the temperature reached the mid 90's! There was plenty of carnage from the unexpected heat... In previous years, it was cool enough for wetsuits, just be ready....

There is a half in Macon, Ga. in the spring...I think it is March.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Last edited by: yaquicarbo: Nov 13, 03 11:40
Quote Reply
Macon half is June 13 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and could be brutally hot and hilly. Sounds like fun, which is why I'll be there.

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Macon half is June 13 [RINO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a half in Hiawassee in May and I thought the half in Macon was in June. I plan on doing both of them,but I'll have to see how I'm doing. I think they're two weeks a part.
Quote Reply
Re: Macon half is June 13 [damn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a web site for more info on the Macon 1/2 on June 13th?
Quote Reply
Here's the link [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2s in the Southeast [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Lake Chatuge race last year as well. It was a fun race. But very difficult. I don't have hills where I live, so we did the best we could on the rollers around here. But I was largely unprepared for the hilly bike course. It was a beautiful course, though. Very scenic, very nice. I could see some potential problems develop if the weather had been hotter (like it was in '01). But this year's weather was perfect.

I'm thinking about doing this race again this year. The Macon half would be closer, but I usually don't race on Sunday.

There was also a rumor that a half IM was going to be put on in the Jacksonville, FL, area this coming season, but I haven't heard anything about that since late summer. Anybody heard anything about that or did I just dream that up?

RP
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2s in the Southeast [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I live in Jax and haven't heard about a half, although I would surely welcome one!

There was an Olympic distance put on here for the first time last year.

See http://hammerheadolympictriathlon.com/

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2s in the Southeast [Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard there was a half in the works when the Hammerhead Oly was being advertised. I was under the impression that the folks who put on Hammerhead were also looking putting on a half. I can't remember where I heard it, but I heard it. Must not be too much too it, or the organizers are keeping it under wraps.

There are now several half IM races in the Southeast, from the Carolinas down to Florida. But that distance is so popular that another one or two, especially in the pancake flat Jacksonville area, in the region wouldn't hurt.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the Florida 1/2 IM at Disneyworld in May will not be a wetsuit swim. Can anyone confirm this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard there is going to be a 1/2 in Chattanooga in May. When I find anymore information about this I will post it here on the forum.
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2s in the Southeast [triall3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the website, wetsuits are allowed.

http://www.floridahalfironman.com/info.html
Quote Reply