Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1/2 Vineman
Quote | Reply
I did something pretty impulsive on Friday. I discovered that the waiting list for the 1/2 Vineman had emptied and they were accepting applications again so I signed up. The race is four weeks from Sunday.

Anyone care to shed some light on the bike/run course? How does it compare to Wildflower (the only other 1/2 I have done). I don't think I will have any time to ride or run the course before the race day. Should I be concerned about the gearing I use (11-23 v. 13-26)? Is the run on trails, roads or both?

How about the weather? I live in the Bay Area, and I know it will be hot, but is there any shade on the course or are we out there to cook for the day? How about support? Are there a decent number of aide stations on the bike and run?

Finally, where do you stay? Santa Rosa?

Thanks,

John
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 Vineman [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would bring my climbing gears if I were you. You could definitely do it on an 11-23 but Chalk Hill Rd is steep and right at the place (mile 46??) where you don't want to bog down and blow up your legs. Other than that, it is mostly rollers. Overall, much easier than Wildflower but don't disrespect Chalk Hill. If you were just out for a ride, it would not be a big deal but it comes at a place where your legs already have a lot of bike miles in them and you're going to have to run soon.

The run is out and back, pretty much all on roads, a few very short hills but mostly flat. There is a short dirt section at the very beginning (and the very end too I guess).

The morning will be cool to cold. The run will be hotter than hell and there is almost no shade. They switch off which age groups get to go early (and avoid the worst of the heat) every year. Think of a plan to keep yourself cool, especially if your age group starts late this year.

At this point, Santa Rosa will be your best bet for lodging. There are a lot of little towns around there but everything fills up really fast, partly because of the race and partly because its the wine country in the summer.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Wf Oly this year and Vineman last year. Vineman bike course is pretty fast, lots of rollers, chalk hill isn't that bad, pretty steep but the steepest part isn't that long. For comparisons sake I averaged 2.3 mph faster on the bike course at Vineman compared to WF Oly.

the gearing I use (11-23 v. 13-26)?

12/25 worked great for me.

Is the run on trails, roads or both? 95% roads.

How about the weather?

Overcast and very cool in the morning and hot in the afternoon. The day before the race last year it was overcast and cool all day.

I live in the Bay Area, and I know it will be hot, but is there any shade on the course or are we out there to cook for the day?

I think there is a tree on the run course, not sure though it could of been a telephone pole. There is shade on the first mile or two but pretty sparse after that, they had misters at the turn around.

How about support? Are there a decent number of aide stations on the bike and run?

Support was great, plenty of aid stations.

Finally, where do you stay? Santa Rosa?

Santa Rosa is probably your best bet, I stayed in Petaluma at a friends house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a search in the database here or on Gordo's site about Vineman. Very extensive descriptions of the bike course. Compared to WF, it's flat.

Hotels: Santa Rosa, but you need to get something now. No recommendations, as I stay with friends.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race, great location, great course, great organizing. It's traditionally very hot that time of year, try and avoid the temptation to "big ring" those little rollers, you'll pay for it on the run course, which does have one noticable hill about 4 miles in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 Vineman [3Sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses - I think I can handle the course, but I had a couple logistical questions.

1) Since the swim and bike start 15 miles from where the bike and run end, How exacatly am I supposed to get back to my car with my bike? Roll it on the shuttle bus? Or should I take the shuttle back to my car, then drive back and get the bike. No way I'm riding it...

2) How big of a bag do they give you to put your swim stuff in and your run stuff in? Is it big enough to hold a backpack and some post-race clothes?

3) They don't have showers or anything out at the beach, do they? If not, I suppose I can rinse off in the river.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take the shuttle then come back for the bike or car pool from the highschool to the start and avoid the shuttle

Big Garbage bag

Have a change of clothes and use the locker room at the high school post race

see you there
I'll be easy to spot, Big Guy, Yellow framed Rudy projects wearing a big red USAT Officials shirt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply