Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1/2 IM training plans?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know where I could find a decent training plan for a 1/2 Ironman? I have found Olympic and full IM plans on the web, but nothing for the 1/2 distance. I am doing my first 1/2 in Muncie this year, and I have a pretty good idea of how to get ready for it, but I would like to go into the race knowing I trained properly.

Thanks!

Cara
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 IM training plans? [Cara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for generic plans, Gale Bernhardt's book "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" is a good resource. Check out Trainingbible.com for info. Also check out www.trinewbies.com, there are plans on there. There are plans available through coaching services like multisports.com, and markallenonline.com. Or get the Triathlete's Training Bible and build your own plans. I am using the TTB and Bernhardt's book to tackle my first 1/2 IM. Good luck.
Tom

Embrace the suck--Anon.

Eagles Race Team--Napa CA
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 IM training plans? [FFMadCow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use TrainingBible.com - pretty much software for building your own training plan based on the Triathlete's Training Bible. I like it because it is pretty easy to work with and I can maintain my training diary there from any computer on the Internet.

If you only use one computer, you can save some cash by getting the TTB and downloading the Tri-Geek Spreadsheet - it is very similar to trainingbible.com, but done in Excel. If you use it, make sure to donate $10 bucks to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

I have been using trainingbible.com since January for planning my race season - including 2 1/2 IMs and a bunch of sprints and olympics starting in May and running through September. The emphasis has been on the number of hours trained and types of exercise, based on what phase I am in. It is very flexible, which I like because I am in control, but their virtual coach does recommend workouts so I am not like a babe in the woods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy Gale's book. It's like $15 and it's got plans for all distances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just offering yet another view. You may also want to look at check-out Jeff Devlin's web sight (www.jeffdevlin.com/articles/halfiman.html). There are some interesting ideas expressed.

It is my belief though, that there is no "one size fits all" training plan. Look around (search the web?) and be open to all ideas. Find a plan that seems sensible (in terms of current training and your level of fitness) and that you think is practical considering your other life commitments. With what I just mentioned, you may need to "tweek" a plan (i.e. more/less training ). Just don't accept, that because someone has a training plan written down, that it must be followed exactly.

Best wishes and good luck at Muncie!

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the link to an 18 month 1/2 IM plan. I used it last year, and am following it loosely this year for Eagleman.

http://www.trinewbies.com/1TPIntHlf.htm

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 IM training plans? [chris in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions! The trinewbies plan was pretty much what I was looking for. Of course, I will modify it a bit here and there to fit my schedule. I will also look into Gale's book and the Training Bible. And a heart rate monitor, seeing as how everything I read seems to say "If you don't own a heart rate monitor, GET ONE NOW!"

Thanks again!

Cara
Quote Reply