Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1/2 IM indicator workouts ?
Quote | Reply
The most important race of the year for me is the 1/2 IM in Lubbock. The race is very hot, flat with 8 very steep but fairly short hills on the bike. I've got enough running and swimming experience to accurately predict my abilities and finish times. However, I've got no clue about the bike.

Does anyone have suggestions on what kind of milestones I can set to know that I'll complete the bike leg in my goal time (under 3 hrs)?

I've been completing 65-75 mile rides followed by a short run for several weeks. In the coming weeks I'll maintain the 65 mile rides and start lengthening the run.
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 IM indicator workouts ? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try to find a local 40K/20K TT if you can. Local Road Riding Clubs often put these on weekly and generally anyone can enter ie. you don't need a Road racing license. They are an awesome training session and test of fitness. As they say, "it's the race of truth" - the clock doesn't lie.

How you do in an all out 40K TT would be a good indicator of how you would do in the 90K bike leg of a 1/2 Ironman.

Key training rides should be 40 - 60k rides at a fairly hard pace( faster than predicted races pace)

Your mileage may vary

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 IM indicator workouts ? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the end of May or the begining of June (provided you live in the South), start the hilliest ride you can find at 9:00 am and follow it with an hour run on the hilliest run course you can find. If you can do that, you are ready for Lubbock.
Quote Reply