Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

* QUICK * Di2 TT Bar decision question
Quote | Reply
I'm setting up my soon-to-arrive Felt IA with the latest Di2.

My question is the end of the aero bars or the Di2 set up in general: Should I get a 6 button set up - 4 on the base bar and 2 on the extensions? or an 8 button set up which basically gives me the option to switch to the big ring / small ring from the TT extensions.

I live in New England where we see all types of courses: flat, hilly, windy and everything in between.

Thanks and yes, I did do a search but just didn't find what I was looking for..
Quote Reply
Re: * QUICK * Di2 TT Bar decision question [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the same thing, I say 8 buttons. If you're going for it, there's no reason not to.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: * QUICK * Di2 TT Bar decision question [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went 6 button because I felt if I needed to be in the small ring, most of the time I would likely not be on the aerobars but on the basebar.

I found the two buttons on each extension shifters a little cramped.

Either solution is excellent, its really just a matter of personal preference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just went through the same thing.

Fortunately the Ultegra bar ends with 2 buttons on each seemed to be out of stock everywhere. So I had to go with the single button Dura Ace version. Otherwise I might still be debating it.

I agree with the fact that if you're moving to the small ring you've probably already hit a point where you won't be penalized for coming out of aero.

Plus the singles are sexy.

First race with them this weekend.
Last edited by: Max Daddy: Apr 7, 14 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Building my latest TT bike I was debating the same, ultimately I went to the 8-button set-up. Though the 6 button set up is nice and convenient to the point you don't have to turn the shifters up (buttons are on top, not on the inside) I wanted to keep the shifting consistent with everything else I ride. I kept thinking I'd get thrown off by having the left hand control something usually only the right hand controls.

Also, I try to avoid the extreme opposite gears when riding, so in a slight uphill where I can still remain in the aerobars, I may shift to the 39 and down the cog in the rear for a straighter chain line instead of cross chaining on the big ring. I can do this with the 8 button set-up without moving my hands.

Di2 is awesome though... love it on a road bike, but love it even more on a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8 button for sure in NE. Unless you live in a flat and mostly wind free area, there is not reason to not to 8. I shift all the time from big to small ring without coming out of aero, I climb in aero...coming out of aero is my last gear. I wouldn't listen to the 6 button folks...the idea they they are cramped is ridiculous and being more sexy (meaning out of stock so I did it and am trying to justify) is meaningless...unless you are trying to be sexy rather than fast. If you ride/race in the big ring 90/95+% of the time...sure, other than, you are missing out on something that Di2 has to offer.
Quote Reply