Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
echappist wrote:
GvA/Gilbert or vice versa; Sagan to be caught out by being out of position one too few many times and settles for third.

Durbridge and Naesen wild cards

Will make up my mind about 1st and 2nd some time soon

Alright, let's get serious ;) I'm drinking a Unibroue La Fin Du Monde. Not really Belgian but a nice belgian style triple. Tastes like dessert to me.

I have to put my boy off the top step so as not to jinx him right? I did fairly well in the pool with that tactic last year. And he also ended up having a kickass season.

Here goes:

GvA - I respect him but for some reason can't make myself to like him.
Peto - hometown hero. Even though he can be quite a clown sometimes
Sep - seems like he's only got a few good races/season. This will be it once again.

WC's:
Naesen
Pippo Pozzato - why the hell not

Unibroue is legit and a great choice.. I'll try out its La Fin Du Monde one of these days. They made the special annual ales for Trader Joe and I liked it a lot. Probably won't be able to tell the difference between it and Ommegang Abbey Ale if you blind-fold me.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pippo?!?!?!?

You must be near the bottom of that Unibroue! :) (a fine choice, btw)

I'll get some picks in, but I still have to char some chicken bones before I can pick.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1)In years past there used to be all these stories with the tech writers in the bike mag/media business geeking out on the specialized bikes ( all bikes not just Specialized's bikes!!), equipment, gear, wheels etc. . that they would be using at both Tour of Flanders and at Paris Roubaix. So far this year I have seen nothing like that - no talk of special bikes etc . .

2) What's with the fair weather for the Spring Classics this year. Almost all of them have been run in sunshine and what looks like reasonably warm weather. I can't recall the last real mud/dirt year at Paris Roubaix - you'd have to go back a long time now. It's almost always of late been dry, sunny and reasonably warm. More problems with dust, than with dirt/mud!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

2) What's with the fair weather for the Spring Classics this year.

Strade was rainy/muddy, at least. GvA looking Belgian here.

Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Pippo?!?!?!?

You must be near the bottom of that Unibroue! :) (a fine choice, btw)

I'll get some picks in, but I still have to char some chicken bones before I can pick.

I didn't want to get picked up by the wildcard police so I picked a proper wild card :D

I could just extend my podium to hedge my bets with Kristoff and Johnny Degenkolb there. Wouldn't be fair, though ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
I didn't want to get picked up by the wildcard police so I picked a proper wild card :D

Fair enough, I'll do the same!

1) Sagan - he will find a way to win.
2) Gilbert - just because he's on fire.
3) van Avermaet - had to fit him in here somewhere

Wildcards:
Jens Keukeleire - because Orica is going to stir some shit, and several of you already took Turbo.
Tony Martin - because there's a chance he's going to make the break stick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
1)In years past there used to be all these stories with the tech writers in the bike mag/media business geeking out on the specialized bikes ( all bikes not just Specialized's bikes!!), equipment, gear, wheels etc. . that they would be using at both Tour of Flanders and at Paris Roubaix. So far this year I have seen nothing like that - no talk of special bikes etc . .

2) What's with the fair weather for the Spring Classics this year. Almost all of them have been run in sunshine and what looks like reasonably warm weather. I can't recall the last real mud/dirt year at Paris Roubaix - you'd have to go back a long time now. It's almost always of late been dry, sunny and reasonably warm. More problems with dust, than with dirt/mud!

there hasn't been a rainy/muddy RvV and Roubaix in at least 10 years. In a few years, there was a light drizzle at the beginning of RvV (say 2010), but nothing like the wind swept downpour we saw in the 2015 Gent Wevelgem

-----
As for the race, GvA over Gilbert
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on! I actually had Jens on the podium in the original wild ass guess:) I'm not sure about Tony - he looked pretty banged up at Ghent Wevelgem. His crash (or the one he was involved in) was actually the reason Sagan was so far back on the GvA attack - he held him up and Peto had to chase, cut through the peloton, body check some Conti guy, the hop off the front in pursuit. I didn't see much of a discussion about that but I bet you that effort stung.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is a lovey day. Masters weather a week early.

we live in wondrous times; i'm in the US, watching a Eurosport web stream, listening to an irishman, drinking a Belgian ale ...... its a miracle.

Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kristoff is the last man to start the OK? wth
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
it is a lovey day. Masters weather a week early.

we live in wondrous times; i'm in the US, watching a Eurosport web stream, listening to an irishman, drinking a Belgian ale ...... its a miracle.

Tru dat.
2 weeks ago I was in Zimbabwe, very deep in the bush and our tracker/scout Movuto and I bluetoothed a video between us of an elephant that charged the truck. We then listened to classic country on Sirius. He didn't like it.
Wacky.
But I digress. Back to racing. This pace is good news for Kristoff.
Last edited by: McNulty: Apr 2, 17 5:38
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a sizeable gap for Boonen and Gilbert
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmmm, what is the point of this group? long way to go, but a good gap. Tom working hard, Phil Gil chillin ... but no GVA or Sagan. you gotta go, right?

would love a Chavanel win.

damn, these guys are loving it. Chav and Boon laughin, Gil chatting with Sky ... its like the baddest assest group ride ever!
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Apr 2, 17 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not that long in the grand scheme of things. If those behind putz, it will sail away
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The point of the move is to force GVA and Sagan's teams to chase and burn through team mates to isolate them prior to the key selections starting, and if they can't close the gap GVA and Sagan will have to do it themselves and burn matches early. Great tactics!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Would be cool but I don't see BMC et al not getting their act together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:

it's more that once you go over a few hills at too high an intensity, you lose many who can chase. And if people don't cooperate afterwards, front group sails up the road.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except Boonen and Gilbert have to work hard to keep the break away. As soon as they back off the gap closes. Best plan for Sagan and others is to leave them out front for another 40k or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:

it's more that once you go over a few hills at too high an intensity, you lose many who can chase. And if people don't cooperate afterwards, front group sails up the road.

Yep. peleton is keeping it tight. I'm thinking we see some guys bridge to Boonen group, it shatters and a select small group. Both existing groups come apart and the cream rises. Iow, all hell breaks loose per usual. Will be interesting to see if Kristoff sticks. Van Baarle is in a good spot. Gilbert is doing squat with TB smashing it for him. Think he'll be there at the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw, Coryn Rivera won Flanders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil Gil goes too soon. :( but love the aggression.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exactly. 2nd group will be caught, and soon Gilbert as well. Oh well

And yes, congrats to Rivera. First American to have won, I believe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(ha, read your post after the fact)
too early? (yes)
i watch Phil's loop win when on the trainer. 30k, 40k ..... sure ( ? )
but 50K+???? yikes. perhaps this is to lead for Trentin?
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Apr 2, 17 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wtf happened to Sep? Went down like someone shot him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
too early?
i watch Phil's loop win when on the trainer. 30k, 40k ..... sure ( ? )
but 50K+???? yikes. perhaps this is to lead for Trentin?

2nd part is moot point as Trentin has been caught by Sagan and GvA; no way Trentin makes it up the hills with Sagan and GvA

SailorSam wrote:
Wtf happened to Sep? Went down like someone shot him

center of those concrete roads; kinda like getting your bike caught in tram tracks
Quote Reply

Prev Next