Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to Ammatii, here is the list of best ascents on this climb. Great performance by Jonas today.

Last edited by: turdburgler: Jul 21, 22 10:46
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
mbeaugard wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
lol Wout recovers and gets on Pogs wheel.

Does he get Polka dots now? Or had to finish 2nd?
KOM competition after stage 18 1. Jonas Vingegaard 72
2. Simon Geschke 64
3. Giulio Ciccone 61
4. Tadej Pogacar 61
5. Wout van Aert 59
6. Thibaut Pinot 52

Think there are 2 more points available on Stage 19.

Who’s the last person to wear Yellow and Polka Dots?

Can’t recall if Pogačar did it last year.

ETA. It was indeed PogaÄŤar

Wonder if WvA might get the super-combativity award.
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 21, 22 11:30
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lotto-Soudal sweeping the Anti-Podium of Upside Down / General Declassification

140. Caleb Ewan
139. Van Rensberg
138. Frison

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
mbeaugard wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
lol Wout recovers and gets on Pogs wheel.

Does he get Polka dots now? Or had to finish 2nd?
KOM competition after stage 18 1. Jonas Vingegaard 72
2. Simon Geschke 64
3. Giulio Ciccone 61
4. Tadej Pogacar 61
5. Wout van Aert 59
6. Thibaut Pinot 52

Think there are 2 more points available on Stage 19.

Who’s the last person to wear Yellow and Polka Dots?

Can’t recall if Pogačar did it last year.

ETA. It was indeed PogaÄŤar

Wonder if WvA might get the super-combativity award.

He should.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't even have been top 10 in '96.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From all accounts, Ullrich was stronger than Riis that entire Tour (Ullrich was obviously a domestique for Riis). Would love to know what he would have done.

I think its a great sign that they weren't even in the ballpark of those '96 climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like the top 20 times on hautacam. any chance we can get the 2014 tour times also?
some additional context - any chance the penultimate climb has been raced as hard as this year?
what about the time differences this year - how many dudes finished within 5 minutes of vinge (compared to other years)?
i hope these are good signs. we also have watts now and with some of these guys we can compare watts on previous similar length efforts.

the racing has been incredible. i credit the battles for the break (the stage wins are battled for full tilt) / the mountain jersey (geschke has made some incredible efforts to get ahead on the early climbs) / pogacar - does he ever take an easy day? / jumbo trying to get to a crack in pogacar's armor with an incredible team.

if tomorrow is a snooze - i'd probably be ok with that. i almost am wishing for no crosswinds for the riders' sakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
From all accounts, Ullrich was stronger than Riis that entire Tour (Ullrich was obviously a domestique for Riis). Would love to know what he would have done.

I think its a great sign that they weren't even in the ballpark of those '96 climbs.
Must have been some strong tailwind back in '96.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When's the last time someone with a number not ending in 1 has won the tour?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Tailwind was probably a code name at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
When's the last time someone with a number not ending in 1 has won the tour?

Bernal or Thomas?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched the finale. Chapeau to Venga and J-V, they rode a pretty flawless race; there's no quit in that team.

Lot of respect to Pog as well, he's as gracious as can be in defeat. In a way, he's the epitome of ultimate sportsman--not being a dick or throwing a fit because he lost. I'm sure it pains him, but I've always felt that people who accept getting beaten by a better rider have their sh*t together.

That said, I'm sure he'll start sharpening the knives for next year before long.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
torrey wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Did Tailwind Sport exist back then? If so, which team did they operate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

If I remember correctly he was also stronger than Pantani the year he lost to him, but had an ill-timed flat (or crash?) on a rainy day in the mountains and lost a lot of time to him. A couple of rare instances when the likely strongest rider didn't win a grand tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
torrey wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Did Tailwind Sport exist back then? If so, which team did they operate?

In 1996? I don’t think it was Tailwind yet. It was probably still Montgomery Sports. I tried to get one of our lawyers to introduce me to the owner of Montgomery Sports but he wouldn’t because he was afraid that he might hire me away. Probably best in the long run. That was mid- to late-90s.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Lot of respect to Pog as well, he's as gracious as can be in defeat.

Yeah, a few pages ago I was speculating what would happen if Pogacar finally got punched in the face. And now we know, he'll continue to fight hard. He definitely did not fold, gave up every second grudgingly.

And Vinge and Pog are definitely a breath of fresh air after a few decades of GC superstars ranging from aloof to dickish (though some nice ones, like Bernal). And compared to American crit bros.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 21, 22 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Lot of respect to Pog as well, he's as gracious as can be in defeat.

Yeah, a few pages ago I was speculating what would happen if Pogacar finally got punched in the face. And now we know, he'll continue to fight hard. He definitely did not fold, gave up every second grudgingly.

And Vinge and Pog are definitely a breath of fresh air after a few decades of GC superstars ranging from aloof to dickish (though some nice ones, like Bernal). And compared to American crit bros.

Me too. Pog is as expected. Straight up racing. Can't get over old man Thomas. Nice podium. Solid Ineos effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well this is interesting. Superman Lopez under investigation for doping and potential trafficking.

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/07/miguel-angel-lopez-is-being-investigated-for-alleged-drug-trafficking/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Superman Lopez is an even better drug dealer than bike racer name.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently the drug dealing part has to do with carrying the drugs Dr. Maynar prescribed over borders. Best I can tell anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been a good tour. Pogacar attacking relentlessly. Ving refusing to pop. WVA is a freak. I don't recall an all rounder that good in my lifetime (I'm in my 40s, so I missed Mercx, etc.). He's not wearing yellow in Paris, but it's clear he is the best cyclist on the planet at this point in time.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
This has been a good tour. Pogacar attacking relentlessly. Ving refusing to pop. WVA is a freak. I don't recall an all rounder that good in my lifetime (I'm in my 40s, so I missed Mercx, etc.). He's not wearing yellow in Paris, but it's clear he is the best cyclist on the planet at this point in time.

Word, Nerd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

in your opinion, what is the probability ISN can pull out of the relegation fiasco ?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
WVA is a freak. I don't recall an all rounder that good in my lifetime (I'm in my 40s, so I missed Mercx, etc.). He's not wearing yellow in Paris, but it's clear he is the best cyclist on the planet at this point in time.

The storyline "Wout Van Aert (who rode in the break all day), dropped Tadej Pogacar (who weighs 12 kilos less than him) on the Hautacam on the Queen Stage of the TdF" is just another chapter in Wout lore (winning the double Ventoux stage + TT + Champs Elysees last year was another one). It's crazy how strong he is and how he can do anything. It can't be easy to chasing green jersey points all the time, and yet he's still got gas in the tank for domestique duty.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who are people fancying for the sprint today? Fancy having a bet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next