Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North Americans competing for the win! MattyJo once again in the hunt, but Houle is looking good. I'd thought he was just doing that to let Woods follow wheels, but it's looking like a strong move in its own right.

Crazy mechanical by Majka.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 19, 22 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, Kusstanza officially earned his TdF paycheck today. And Pogacar has no chance on the descent with Wout there.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 19, 22 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
North Americans competing for the win! MattyJo once again in the hunt, but Houle is looking good. I'd thought he was just doing that to let Woods follow wheels, but it's looking like a strong move in its own right.

Good points

When's the last time Canada had a win at the TdF? Hesjedal, or perhaps Bauer?
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 19, 22 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

The French Appalachians. Steep, small roads, hard scrabble, wooded. No banjos yet.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the Hugonaut some water!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

Oi, Canada has a stage win.

WTF happened there? No sign of wheel washing out, etc.

ETA: spoke too fast. Jorgensen is back on, but 45 seconds with 7 km to go and a downhill run-in is surely too much.
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 19, 22 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did someone say "Banjos?"

Sorry, it's almost obligatory

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

ETA: spoke too fast. Jorgensen is back on, but 45 seconds with 7 km to go and a downhill run-in is surely too much.

Everyman win of the tour. Beautiful.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just occurred to me who Jonas V reminds me of

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just starting to watch the replay and I can not figure out WTF Jumbo is doing at the beginning of this stage. I'm curious to figure out what it might be.

I rode down into a farming valley today and found the most majestic thing I've ever encountered. A perfect aero and hard effort road. Right now the corn is like a golden shield from the wind. 14 unbroken miles of nice tarmac. I have some things I've been meaning to Chung, so it looks like I have some projects in the next month before the corn is harvested.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how much time can Pog hope to take back on the final TT? If they go in with the current 2+ minute gap is there any hope for him, or is he just defending 2nd?

And how the heck does Majka, at 128 lbs, snap a chain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

When's the last time Canada had a win at the TdF? Hesjedal, or perhaps Bauer?

Bauer, 1988.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
So how much time can Pog hope to take back on the final TT? If they go in with the current 2+ minute gap is there any hope for him, or is he just defending 2nd?

Pog only put 8 seconds into Venga on Stage 1. So unless Venga melts down, 2+ minutes seems unlikely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
couple thoughts: kuss looked majestic taking over after majka issue (chain?). it really looked like pogi couldn't attack. (perhaps vinge should have?)
the jumbo 2 vans (aert, hooy) looked risky when tiesj was laboring to keep vlasov from yellow for 2 hours but looked great when van hooy settled the 1st descent and van aert brought it all home with no more attacks on final descent.
i realize i am merely an old man/ old fan on an internet forum but how did bike exchange not have schultz in break?? he was awesome in the same day after rest day medium tough alps stage. he also climbed in top 7-8 of gc group today. my buddy also bet $20 on him so we think bike exchange owes us a water bottle or something. maybe a 12 pack of schlitz for schultz?
final 2 days are almost all climb/descend and shorter. kuss won't get a ton of warm up before tiesj and wout look to him.
nairo looked great - i'm going with him for first to attack despite pogacar's obvious class and impetuousness.
despite vinge's unwillingness to move from pogacar's wheel i'm picking vinge to gain 10-15 secs on the final ramp tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Everyman win of the tour. Beautiful.

I finally caught the end of the stage, yelling at the screen for Hugo to get some water. That was a class win and ride by ISN. Also, tough deal for Matteo, but wow he is tough to get right back at it to rip it until the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Venga would have to have a Roglic-like ITT in order for Pog to take that much time. He looked nails today, but is going to have a long couple stages of Pog trying to wear him down.

It's officially the Summer of Sepp. Kusstanza was ballin today. Pretty big risk leaving him out there alone but I guess with Wout up the road there was a safety blanket. It all worked pretty smoothly when Wout took over for the descent, and funny that McNulty was there at same point too. Guess they all had similar ideas.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by trail [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
final tt - pogi put about 90 secs on roglic in 2020 on planche de belles filles. that is probably absolute best ability of pogi - 20 or so minutes power to weight.
this final tt is much more power /cda. i highly doubt there is even a minute in there on a great day for pogi.

van hooy shepherded the first descent. van hooy getting over that 2nd climb in front of gc would have sent shockwaves through the peloton!
it was still super helpful. descent got a lot safer with him leading it.

only 50k before the troika of climbs tomorrow - i think there might not even be a break bc the fight to get the composition just right will likely cause a lot of chasing. every gc team wants a super domestique up ahead. poor kuss will be leaned on hard the next 2 days.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredericknorton wrote:
van hooy shepherded the first descent. van hooy getting over that 2nd climb in front of gc would have sent shockwaves through the peloton!
it was still super helpful. descent got a lot safer with him leading it.

Oh, you're right, I crossed up those two descents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my eyes, I think Jonas has better climbing legs at this point than Pog. Pog can't shake him even with a big jump, he gets pulled back easily. I hope Jonas puts in a massive attack tomorrow, he could gain more time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today should be spicey. It will be significantly cooler today, which will certainly help those who don't cope as well in the heat. If anyone wants to make a big move before the TT, it is today.

How early does the GC battle begin today? Surely they won't wait until the last climb.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they will have no choice but to wait for the last climb, long descents before it are a good chance for their teammates to bring them back.

the last climb is 8K at about 10% gradient, so that's when I think the Pog will attack.

Tridad
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Today should be spicey. It will be significantly cooler today, which will certainly help those who don't cope as well in the heat. If anyone wants to make a big move before the TT, it is today.

How early does the GC battle begin today? Surely they won't wait until the last climb.

I think it's going to be aggressive early. Establishing the breaks has mostly been brutal, a race in itself. You've got guys who have been living their best grupetto life, waiting for today or tomorrow. Last chance saloon for the climber types. All over the road and all or nothing for Po, with maybe an eye towards the Hautecam tomorrow. Body blows today, a knockout try if Venga gets on the ropes. I don't see it. He's rock solid with the alien in green doing it all for him up the road. But it's cool that with a 2+ minute gap we're still paying attention.

Phil Gil is still having fun which is cool.
Last edited by: McNulty: Jul 20, 22 4:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the tour as a whole has been very entertaining in my opinion. such hard racing.
i don't think tadej has to wait until last climb for 3 reasons: the descents (especially penultimate and a little bit the last one) are kind of technical so having a teammate doesn't seem like a big advantage // tadej has shown he can go from farther out and descend well enough not to lose time (last year 1st alps stage!) // just like all the solo wins in the classics, when everyone is tired they would all look to vinge to chase anyway.
i do think vinge is climbing a smidge better so i think he should try to get a little buffer on that last climb (esp if still has sepp to detonate things).
if van aert makes it to the final climb or even the last few k of the penultimate climb, i think that will really hurt tadej's chances to get more time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I think it's going to be aggressive early. Establishing the breaks has mostly been brutal, a race in itself. You've got guys who have been living their best grupetto life, waiting for today or tomorrow. Last chance saloon for the climber types. All over the road and all or nothing for Po, with maybe an eye towards the Hautecam tomorrow. Body blows today, a knockout try if Venga gets on the ropes. I don't see it. He's rock solid with the alien in green doing it all for him up the road. But it's cool that with a 2+ minute gap we're still paying attention.

Phil Gil is still having fun which is cool.

I agree, I think it will start early on. I think some teams will try to take JV idea when they attacked TP early and from a distance that wasn't expected. It may not be UAE, but maybe Ineos. I think TP looked really good yesterday, and was surprised he didn't attempt more hits. Maybe he was feeling things out for today and checking to see how JV was looking.

Wish I could see it live. I am at work and get access it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next