Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Yeah, seems like a lot of energy to use with little to gain in sprinting for the line. Maybe a show of defiance.

With Kusstanza on the front it finally feels like July.

Kuss now owns the KOM on probably the most prestigious strava segment in the world. Could there be a more desirable strava KOM than Alpe D'Huez?

Most prestigious? Pfft. Call me when he takes the Alpe du Zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
I've received scorn for saying this before, so here goes again:

Pidcock is the best cyclist of his generation.

Quite possibly.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed all this during the live broadcast, but apparently when Ewan was off the back after a crash, a bunch of team cars (not just Lotto) conspired to help bring him back to the peloton. Including intentionally blocking a commissaire moto from reaching Ewan to monitor the help he was getting.

Words and gestures were exhanged between the commissaire and some of the cars!

But kind of cool to see other sprinters' teams helping out Ewan (to no avail this stage).

Last edited by: trail: Jul 15, 22 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow I did not catch that, but it makes sense. The sprint teams needed Ewan back on so that Lotto would keep riding and bring things back for a sprint. Without those Lotto boys pulling that break wasn't coming back (if they would have anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Sulliesbrew wrote:
Why so much doubt for Pederson? Dude is a boss, the Danes are crushing it at this tour.

Too much baby fat on his face, and sub-par performance in the slightly hillier northern classics for the past few seasons

On his day, Pedersen is pure class. See his performance at 2020 Gent Wevelgem

Pedersen has won a race every month starting in February, albeit not WT races. Was also strong in Denmark. Simmons was dropped because he buried himself for the break and Pedersen.

Interestingly, Pedersen thought being in the break was a mistake as the gap was stuck at two minutes and change. Caleb Ewan's crash made the difference. At the time of the crash, Bike Exchange was about to come to the front but then waited, thinking it was a bad look to chase while Ewan was off the back. BEX's delay probably the factor that probably let the break stay away.

Simmons meanwhile having a very impressive first tour as the youngest rider in the race. Looks much older with that beard.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't take long for this stage to get aggressive and nutty. Which, is par for the course here and now. I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poor Caleb Ewan.

In addition to the 1000CHF of fines doled out to Alpecin-Deceuninck, Ewan received a time penalty of a minute in the general classification as well as 10 points in the points classification and a single point in the mountain classification to accompany his 500CHF fine.

Not that he'll be too upset with the 500CHF fine, the time penalty, nor the points lost ("Dang, there goes my shot at winning the KOM this year.") Throw in his struggles today (18 minutes back of the leaders, hoping to survive the time cut) and it's not been a great 24 hours for him.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ewan-alpecin-deceuninck-fined-for-drafting-after-tour-de-france-crash/

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of a dick move by Simmons to take a KOM point from Powless. Looks like Powless is paying him back by not contributing to Simmons' attack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Wow I did not catch that, but it makes sense. The sprint teams needed Ewan back on so that Lotto would keep riding and bring things back for a sprint. Without those Lotto boys pulling that break wasn't coming back (if they would have anyway).

Jacobsen was struggling too and Lotto went to the front and picked it up and had help from Alpecin. DIdn't see a lot of extra help for QS.

This has been hot and hard and then the Pyranees. It'll be interesting to see who makes it through the mountains. I'd rather have Cav cajoling and ham and egging it through to Paris. He was on great form. Still a head scratcher.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious move by Matthews to go long.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 16, 22 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
trail wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:
The reason I rate him so highly is because of his savvy. He's a better bike handler than MvDP and line choice is impeccable. No one else knows how to pace a race better. Gets wins over stronger riders by using his brain . Still learning road racing and making mistakes once.

Are you trying to qualify for the Pidcock Platinum Fanboi Kit :)

Ha! I'm actually a much bigger fan of Wout, but I have to acknowledge a cycling genius when I see one.

I have Wout and MvDP in his generation (all in their 20's) But if we're talking 20-23,4, neo pro types then he's #2 behind Pogacar who has 2 GT's, 8 stages, stages in Vuelta, Lombardia, LBL and I think, Strade?
All due respect to CX and MTB, World Tour road is the gold standard.
Pidcock has a lot of top 10's and now a stage win, so when (not if) he gets a monument and/or a GT and WC, then yes. He's surely brilliant but has screwed the pooch in a few races with some wacky tactics, maybe youthful exuberance, fog of war and whatnot. He's learning, and fast, maybe like a genius, but team tactics are huge in road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Curious move by Matthews to go long.

He's been close lately. In fact he always seems to be in the mix and close.

Simmons is a knucklehead.

When was the last time we saw the green jersey tow the yellow jersey team around like this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bling earned that one for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, props to him.

His first TdF stage since going on that long range attack with GvA and Sagan back in 2016?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I missed all this during the live broadcast, but apparently when Ewan was off the back after a crash, a bunch of team cars (not just Lotto) conspired to help bring him back to the peloton. Including intentionally blocking a commissaire moto from reaching Ewan to monitor the help he was getting.

Words and gestures were exhanged between the commissaire and some of the cars!

But kind of cool to see other sprinters' teams helping out Ewan (to no avail this stage).

Nico even said that if he was drafting on his OWN car, he'd certainly get fined, but not sure what would happen if it was ANOTHER TEAM helping him out

It was incredibly blatant though

That was a weird scenario: Lotto guy goes straight at the left hand turn; Caleb goes down "Where the fuck are going?"

Then, no one from Lotto goes back and he has to motor- pace as best he could until the red-hats say " No buddy, you're in your own"

I imagine his first words to the team were "Hey guys - I'm back --- so what the FUCK was that about?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stage 15 (tomorrow) could be interesting. 200 km in 40 degrees C temperatures, with firetrucks spraying to roads to keep the road surfaces "cool". Maybe the riders will call a truce until the final 10 km?

The final run-in could be sketchy if the sprint teams all think they have a shot at the stage win. Two 120-degree turns in the last km, one of them with 200-meters to go. Ouch.

On the run-in to Carcassonne along the Canal du Midi, the peloton has to negotiate a roundabout with 3800 metres to go, then there is a sharp turn just before the flamme rouge followed by two 120-degree turns on the final kilometre, one about 600 metres from the finish, the other with 200 metres to go.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-france-2022/stage-15/preview/

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Maybe the riders will call a truce until the final 10 km?

This idea is Caleb Ewan-approved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Kind of a dick move by Simmons to take a KOM point from Powless. Looks like Powless is paying him back by not contributing to Simmons' attack.

I'm loath to defend Simmons, but he does have a teammate up there in the KOM standings. May have simply been team orders to keep the points away from Powless.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Watown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point, didn't realize Ciccone was in the game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Maybe the riders will call a truce until the final 10 km?

This idea is Caleb Ewan-approved.

Looks to be Taco Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d rate Tadej #1 and Wout #2 in today’s riders. Pidcock has crazy talent but other than Olympic gold, his palmares aren’t in the same discussion as Wout. Not to mention that he’s a far more valuable teammate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop the presses. Wout is in the break again, but thankfully it looks like the team might be asking him to sit up.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I’d rate Tadej #1 and Wout #2 in today’s riders. Pidcock has crazy talent but other than Olympic gold, his palmares aren’t in the same discussion as Wout. Not to mention that he’s a far more valuable teammate.

I'm Wout #1 Tadej #2
Pidcock has potential to be the best and is certainly at the pointy end of the pointy end. At everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gravity problems today

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kruiseship and Rog out for Jumbo COULD be problematic. If Wout stays strong and Kuss as well, this can be mitigated.
Quote Reply

Prev Next