Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pog third on GC at 2:22. Who would have predicted that? Going to make for an interesting 10 days.

Unexpectedly great ride by Quintana.
Last edited by: satanellus: Jul 13, 22 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Someone on the JV team said it was "them against Pogacar". I think that's right and it is far from over.

You called it

Now, can they keep it?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow what turn of fate... Vingegaard has been going well but this is a complete new race! I feel bad for Pogacar, but it does seem to be something that happens to riders they just crack. I wonder how he will recover for tomorrow? and what the GC will look like then?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
wow what turn of fate... Vingegaard has been going well but this is a complete new race! I feel bad for Pogacar, but it does seem to be something that happens to riders they just crack. I wonder how he will recover for tomorrow? and what the GC will look like then?

Yep, Alpe d'Huez will be intriguing tomorrow. Not just how the Pog recovers, but everyone else as well. Tomorrow could see another reshuffle of the GC.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A side plot at this point, but wonder what's up with Kuss. He's just not going well. Fortunately for JV, all their other guys are going well, and now Roglic is a great domestique as well.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be interesting to see why that cost Jonas today, how he recovers for tomorrow. Roglic and Kuss looked in great shape coming over the line and Wout is Wout.

Thomas looked super strong, for Yates to get back towards the front and catch them bodes well for Ineos.

Guess we’re about to find out if having a strong team matters since UAE seem to be on the ropes a bit.

All things being equal from here, and if you discount Quintana and Bardet on the TT alone, it looks like it’s Pogacar vs Jumbo with Ineos lurking.

One thing I noticed with Jonas is he doesn’t look the most comfortable on the bike, he was scared when the crowd got close today (rightfully) and there was also the bike change incident the other day. I wonder if Ineos can outsmart him.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I am wildly impressed with what a superb job Pidcock has done.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder if Pidcock has the best chance of the 3 CX guys of doing well in GC.

I thought they’d just let him loose at the your to get the experience, but seems like he’s been a solid contributor to the team duties.

One thing that was interesting today was how calculating and ruthless all the riders were as they passed Pogacar. They all showed him a lot of respect when they got alongside him, making sure he was gassed, then leaving him when they were certain they wouldn’t pull him back. Fantastic racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there was a lot of early chatter about Pogacar making this a boring Tour... I think that talk is over for now and we have just reached the half way point of the race today. Things are getting interesting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
Wonder if Pidcock has the best chance of the 3 CX guys of doing well in GC.

2 CX guys now, MdVP's had enough. But, of course, Pidcock is going to wipe the floor in CX GC classification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did not see that one coming at all. Glad to see he’s human after all and now there’s a true battle.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few thoughts while I re-watch some of this with 2 more trainer hours to go.

Rog is class in how he has helped Jonas and also not complained or made excuses.

Also Soler was drafting a Movistar rider and Kelly chips something like, "Well of course he is attacking Movistar." lol
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No change to Lanterne Rouge Anti-Podium, other than everyone moving up 2 spots on GC w/DNFs by MvdP and Naesen

159. Turgid Turgis
159. Ice Bjerg
157. Hirschi Syrup

"Randy ... why are you actually following the Lanterne Rouge?"
"Um ... because I'm weird?"
"OK, that makes sense ... carry on"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonas did 6 w/kg for right under 36 minutes I think. After the rest of the day that is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:
Funnily enough they go to Alpe d’Huez on Thursday, which was the site of the original road gapping of the TDF in 2003. Wonder if it will be repeated.

My sources say it was Galibier

https://off.road.cc/...on-from-2003-to-2019

Video mis-dates itself as 2002

That must have hurt!
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DH mountain bikers are built different. Some of the falls these pros take and walk away from are hard to believe
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Rog is class in how he has helped Jonas and also not complained or made excuses.

Also Soler was drafting a Movistar rider and Kelly chips something like, "Well of course he is attacking Movistar." lol

Yikes, that's a lot of trainer time

I wish I could do that, but my knee (sometimes knees) starts bothering me at 75-90 min in...

But the last 75 km of today's stage will help make my own trainer session go faster as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I wish I could do that, but my knee (sometimes knees) starts bothering me at 75-90 min in...

My brain starts bothering me at about 45 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

My brain starts bothering me at about 45 minutes.

Done quite a few long sessions since the baby arrived and they are extremely grim. Not many things as souls destroying as a long turbo session.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
And I am wildly impressed with what a superb job Pidcock has done.

Pidcock said in an interview that he has been taking the piss!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Yikes, that's a lot of trainer time

But the last 75 km of today's stage will help make my own trainer session go faster as well

Wife is riding the real world and the kiddo is napping. Sometimes I just have to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw someone post this from WaWa. 5 w/kg weight avg power for his ride today. There are a few really small riders that I love to see on hard races. Bardet's Strade a few years ago ride comes to mind. He was insane that day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7462933785
Last edited by: turdburgler: Jul 13, 22 11:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chastened.

Pride comes before the fall, some wise guy said. Tadej was mugging for the cameras in the valley pre final climb. You can be sure the JV car mentioned this to Jo Venga. This morning when asked if he were one of the others rider would he attack, T Po said, I wouldn't try it. Love the kid and he'll be back for sure but he got his ass handed to him today and will be even better for it.

Everyone needs an ass handing now and then.

Up 'til then it was some Bruce Lee shit by T Po, fending off all of those attacks. Now you're riding alone to the final climb surrounded by the enemy, and THEN have Wout come blasting through? If Pogacar had won again today that would have been almost too much.

GT so solid, Bardet too. So many stories. It will be fun seeing JV defend and Po go crazy aggressive. And not even Bastille Day yet.

Amazing racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine does just thinking about the trainer.

Looming question for Pog: did Covid drop him?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will see, but I think he just got steamrolled and made too many moves of his own that were not wise.
Quote Reply

Prev Next