Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Worlds coming to Montreal in 2026

https://twitter.com/.../1572845908903219203

I hope they make the course a bit more exciting than what GP Montreal uses. Itā€™s gotten very predictable.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
marcag wrote:

Worlds coming to Montreal in 2026

https://twitter.com/.../1572845908903219203

I hope they make the course a bit more exciting than what GP Montreal uses. Itā€™s gotten very predictable.

I can't imagine it'll be the same course, since it looks like they're also doing the GP Montreal a couple of weeks beforehand. May be that they incorporate more of the hills/mountains outside of the city for this one.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's hope so.

I think the key to course design is that unless the planners absolutely want a sprint finish (see Denmark 2011) or have some really difficult challenge that will ensure riders finish in 3s and 4s at most, the course should be designed to encourage attacking.

In which case, no 2-5 minute long finishing climb sequences (think old Liege and old Amstel), as those invariably end in an uphill sprint. But do give people launch pads at 10-15 km out and incentivize attacking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about using the course that was used for the 1974 worlds that Merckx won? How tough was that one, with multiple ascents of Mt Royal?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
How about using the course that was used for the 1974 worlds that Merckx won? How tough was that one, with multiple ascents of Mt Royal?

I think that course basically was what they use today for the GP.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:

Ah. I've never watched any of the new Canadian WT events in Quebec so I wasn't sure. That course was thought to be a hard one back in 1974. I guess the deeper fields of today and higher overall fitness have neutered the course somewhat.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:

Ah. I've never watched any of the new Canadian WT events in Quebec so I wasn't sure. That course was thought to be a hard one back in 1974. I guess the deeper fields of today and higher overall fitness have neutered the course somewhat.

It still is a tough course, but just like how the old Amstel and old Liege courses were tough but nonetheless ended up being a group gallop up a hill, the same applies to the GP Montreal course.

On paper, the finish to those new Amstel and Liege courses are easier compared to their older counterparts, but in reality, the easier finishes, by removing the descending and flats between the penultimate and finishing climb (and thus removed any opportunity for regrouping) actually induce moves from further out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve gotta cheer for Vos tomorrow (or is it tonight?) for stripes. Anyone know which rider has the longest time between road world championships? Freire had quite a few between the last two.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 23, 22 16:46
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been a season of lower-division teams punching above their weight class, and Wildlife Generation does that again by wiping the floor with Astana's "rap video."

"Altitude training gets the body ready to use less oxygen, newbie."

"Yeah, I think I figured that out."

Edit: Oh, sorry if this is ancient news. I thought it was new because of the CyclingTips article, but the video has been up on YouTube for over a year.

Last edited by: trail: Sep 23, 22 13:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Iā€™ve gotta route for Vos tomorrow (or is it tonight?) for stripes. Anyone know which rider has the longest time between road world championships? Freire had quite a few between the last two.

Vos herself is surely up there. Won her first rainbow stripes on the road while still a teen, only to proceed to get 6x (or was it 7x) straight 2nd place finishes before winning again in 2012.

Hard to believe she has yet to win since 2013.

Eta: i forgot sheā€™s also the reigning CX world champ. Apparently an 8-year gap there.
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 23, 22 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zoe Backstedt is just shredding the Jr. race. She blew up the field and took off solo within the first 7km, and hasn't looked back. AvV/AvdB-style

Good pickup by EF-Tibco for next year.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 23, 22 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of juniors, this might be best sprint of the year https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 23, 22 16:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Speaking of juniors, this might be best sprint of the year https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Yeah, I watched that one live. It was hilarious when the mic picked up the German kid asking the other kid, "So I can win the race?" just a few minutes prior. Glad the Portugese kid decided instead to make him work for it.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Zoe Backstedt is just shredding the Jr. race. She blew up the field and took off solo within the first 7km, and hasn't looked back. AvV/AvdB-style

Good pickup by EF-Tibco for next year.

Wait , what? That was on?

The time zone differences is really confusing

------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Backstedt is the reigning world champ in four different disciplines. We may be looking at the next Marianne Vos
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 23, 22 19:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Womenā€™s race on now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Womenā€™s race on now.

One of the best (if not the best) race I have ever watched.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [rmba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredible finish. AvV usually bludgeons the peloton, this time she showed that sheā€™s clever too.

A classic, monument, GC in all three ā€œtoursā€ and WC. A stellar career of wins all in one season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Womenā€™s race on now.

I caught a few glimpses before bed, but just canā€™t stay up til 2am. I find that as i get older, staying up past 1 am has some serious penalties the next day. Whereas 7-8 hours would otherwise suffice, iā€™d need ~9-10 hours, worse if i stay up til 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just love it when the best rider of the season wins the Worlds. Itā€™s like poetic justice. AvV truly deserves this win. I donā€™t like it when the dark horse wins, but in a way the dark horse won today considering her injuries.

AvV sure has had her share of injuries. Horrific Rio ā€˜16 crash, Giro broken wrist 2020, last years Paris Robaix smash up with broken pubic bone, broken wrist this spring, now this broken elbow. (Sure Iā€™m missing a few).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Incredible finish. AvV usually bludgeons the peloton, this time she showed that sheā€™s clever too.

A classic, monument, GC in all three ā€œtoursā€ and WC. A stellar career of wins all in one season.

Just watched the finish, yeah I knew you'd have enjoyed that kilo effort. Her only possible move to win, and she timed it to perfection.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive win and impressive season from AvV. Getting dropped every climb, staying with it, and playing the card she had in the finale.

And what's with the UCI and Iain Treloar? Just makes them seem like total clowns and justifies the criticism. I'm sure it's a minor inconvenience for Iain and if I were him I'd wear it like a badge of honour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Just watched the finish, yeah I knew you'd have enjoyed that kilo effort. Her only possible move to win, and she timed it to perfection.

Once # 16 dropped I kept seeing that #12 sitting on and Boom. What an effort.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are yā€™all watching?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh boy, disadvantage for MvdP

Quote:

Van der Poel confirmed the story with media prior to the start of the race on Sunday morning. ā€œItā€™s true, yes. There was a small dispute. It was about noisy neighbors and they are quite strict here,ā€ he said.

ā€œI wasnā€™t back in my room until 4 oā€™clock. Thatā€™s certainly not ideal. Itā€™s a disaster, but I canā€™t change anything anymore. Iā€™m trying to make the best of it. It is on little sleep that I will race, hopefully on adrenaline.ā€

Van der Poel shared his side of the story with Sporza. ā€œI went to bed early and many children in the hallway of my room found it necessary to knock on the door,ā€ he said. ā€œAfter a few times I was done with it. I did not kindly ask to stop. Then the police were called.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to watch on GCN but the website seems like it isn't working.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply

Prev Next