Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about Australian magpies. But the Mississippi Kites here will startle you when they bang off your helmet. (I'm not so sure about the advice to "Just make sure to keep eye contact with them".

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next up is the mixed team relay!

Which I'll try to play along and not be butthurt about the lack of proper TTT.

Dutch and Italian teams are *stacked*. Nice to see some big names who aren't too proud to do a little early week opener.

Maybe the U.S. just doesn't have the numbers to enter a team?
Last edited by: trail: Sep 20, 22 4:43
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canā€™t believe you are up this early to spectate. I applaud the dedication.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Next up is the mixed team relay!

Which I'll try to play along and not be butthurt about the lack of proper TTT.
Mixed team relay? Oh boy.

Meanwhile, on the relegation front. (Surprisingly fun to follow this battle.) While (some of) the big boys are in Australia, Lotto Soudal are sending a couple of stacked teams to tomorrow's Omloop van het Houtland and Sunday's Paris-Chauny. They could fairly easily earn 200-300 points from those two races. More points than what they'd get for a podium finish at Sunday's Worlds road race.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does anyone know if this was done initially to ensure that smaller races got decent/upper level talent ?

and AYates is off to UAE for 3 yrs
JV, UAE, and Ineos just keep adding the talent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere they decided this week to pull their team in part due to Sheffield's crash in the ITT. So they went there planning to do it - not sure if Sheffield is too injured or just wants the extra recovery ahead of the road race.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
does anyone know if this was done initially to ensure that smaller races got decent/upper level talent ?
I don't know if the UCI had any ulterior motives for how they decided on the scoring system for the races. It certainly seems to make it easier to earn a lot of points at one-day 1.Pro and 1.1 races compared to going up against the big guns at a 3-week GT. (200 points for winning, 35 points for 10th place, all the way down to 5 points for finishing 30th at a one-day 1.Pro race. 125 points for winning, 20 points for 10th place, all the way down to 3 points for finishing 25th at a one-day 1.1 race. Compared to 120/100 points for a stage win, 25/20 points for finishing 3rd on a stage, and zero points for finishing outside the top 5 on a stage at the TdF/Giro or Vuelta. There are only 175/140 points for finishing 10th on GC at the TdF/Giro or Vuelta.)

But I'm probably not the only one who checks on the results for something like the Tour de Vendee (coming up on 2 Oct) who had never heard of that race before. So maybe that was part of the UCI's clever plan.

And I'm guessing there are a few more fans turning up at of some of these races to see some of the bigger names in cycling. More of the UCI's clever plan?

Lotto Soudal has figured out how to game the system, and some of the other bottom dwellers have started to follow suit.

However, I'm half-way waiting for the announcement from the UCI, "OK, we were just kidding! No one is going to be relegated after all."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never really appreciated what a monster Luke Durbridge is

They were hauling

Edit: And the women say hold our Foster's
Last edited by: WannaB: Sep 20, 22 22:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the Dutch mechanics have some ā€˜splainin to do

MvdP looks shredded
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly dont get the point of mixed TTT. You pick 3 guys that adapt their pace to your best 3 girls...so, basically it is the same as a female TTT, right? I know UCI does it because of the inclusive policies and stuff... wouldnt be more interesting to do it as a mixed relay like in triathlon separating the starts every one or two minutes? e.g 4 x 10km

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Sep 21, 22 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I honestly dont get the point of mixed TTT. You pick 3 guys that adapt their pace to your best 3 girls...so, basically it is the same as a female TTT, right?

No. You get guys doing much longer pulls. In a TTT you adjust pull times as much, if not more than power.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well if they rode together at the same time that's how you'd do it at least :)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I honestly dont get the point of mixed TTT. You pick 3 guys that adapt their pace to your best 3 girls...so, basically it is the same as a female TTT, right? I know UCI does it because of the inclusive policies and stuff... wouldnt be more interesting to do it as a mixed relay like in triathlon separating the starts every one or two minutes? e.g 4 x 10km

marcag wrote:
juanillo wrote:
I honestly dont get the point of mixed TTT. You pick 3 guys that adapt their pace to your best 3 girls...so, basically it is the same as a female TTT, right?

No. You get guys doing much longer pulls. In a TTT you adjust pull times as much, if not more than power.

Just admit it, neither of you watched the actual event, because the 3 men rides together, followed by the 3 women of the team. It's called the RELAY TTT
(all 4 forms of emphases needed, b/c obviously you two missed it on initial reading).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

MvdP looks shredded

I think itā€™s likely that ā€œfucking Sramā€ is the entity needing to do some ā€œsplainin.
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 21, 22 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Just admit it, neither of you watched the actual event

Nope. Didn't watch it.

I guess the point I was trying to make is disparity in power amongst TTT riders results more in different pull times than levelling everyone's power.
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 21, 22 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
WannaB wrote:

MvdP looks shredded

I think itā€™s likely that ā€œfucking Sramā€ is the entity needing to do some ā€œsplainin.

Rider accidentally bumped the FD shift button (rider error)?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/van-vleutens-freak-world-championships-crash-heres-what-really-happened/#disqus_thread

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was sram, wouldnt she have had to push both buttons simultaneously? Not impossible but seems kinda unlikely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://cyclingtips.com/...-van-vleutens-crash/

Result: fractured elbow

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proper bike handling from the rider behind her!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are absolutely right and I am ashamed. I had assumed each team was formed by 3 men + 3 women riding together. Has it been always like this? 3 guys, then 3 girls? It definitely makes more sense :D
I think it is not a bad idea at all...
By the way, I know that Switzerland won, but if you pick the best riders for this event, Netherlands is superior..

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It happened while she was sprinting to get up to speed, so with Blips on the basebar, I think she could've easily pressed both buttons while torquing the bars. It's rare, but I've done it before.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
If it was sram, wouldnt she have had to push both buttons simultaneously? Not impossible but seems kinda unlikely.

Exactly, and close enough to impossible to say that couldn't have been the issue. I suppose you could accidentally hold down the RD button and suddenly downshift 3 or 4 cogs when you intended to upshift, leading to a significant loss of resistance. Who knows? We're all just speculating now.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Worlds coming to Montreal in 2026

https://twitter.com/.../1572845908903219203
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Worlds coming to Montreal in 2026

https://twitter.com/.../1572845908903219203

Are you going to watch that one ;)