Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Would work even better if any of the intermediate climbs have technical descents.

I don't know if he's worked on it, but Remco looked good descending this past weekend in some tricky situations. He was following Alaphillipe, and they were causing small gaps to open behind them. And it didn't look like LFF was holding back much at all. He may not be Nibbles, he sure isn't Zakarin.

Not a huge Remco fan, but have to give him credit that it appears he's worked on his weaknesses. A lot.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yates and Sivakov out with covid.

Winner of the Vuelta isn't going to come down to the strongest legs, but the strongest immune system.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maryland Pro Cycling Classic this Sunday Sept 4. maybe its own thread - maybe just a couple, 3-4 posts here.

I ride these roads all the time (though I may be down to zero koms (already - we have ballers round here - 2 local riders racing - Chaz Turmon and Scott McGill (potential top 5 - great finish) by the race end).

web site link: https://www.marylandcyclingclassic.us/

euros are starting to arrive and do local rides / school visits - pretty fun!

early prediction: Dylan Groen.. I think the race is pretty hard for the first 50 miles but as long as the break isnt stacked - its a much easier ride back to the city circuits and finish.

the break could be stacked cuz - Powless, Simmons, Robin Carpenter, Kyle Murphy.....
US national team is composed of some incredible local-ish talent : our club's elite team has our 2 u23 national champs Liam Flanagan and Patrick Welsh and our road captain Spencer Miller and local Alpecin rider Eddie Anderson and only 10 miles from the course Scott McGill (and a few Tour de L'Avenir guys).
Fun times to be a local fan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Winner of the Vuelta isn't going to come down to the strongest legs, but the strongest immune system.

And to think that Yates had one of his best ever time trial performances yesterday, all the while he was gravely ill.

This Covid protocol nonsense needs to end. If they ain't sick... they ain't sick.

It was ridiculous how during the TdF there were riders who were allowed to stay in the race and were fighting through stages with heavily symptomatic respiratory infections that weren't Covid - but riders who were healthy and completely non-symptomatic had to leave the race when they tested positive for Covid!
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to agree, but just can't.

We are overall in a much better place, and the risk to these athletes is exceedingly low. Wout came back and smahsed Paris Roubaix. That said, I have a close friend who lost his Dad to what was seemingly a mild infection, until it wasn't. Other than being older, he was strapping.

I think pulling the plug the moment they test positive is the right abundance of caution. That small risk for lingering damage goes up if they continue to redline it every day. I would argue this for any infection, but epsecially for the still wierd and unpredictable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yates was mildly symptomatic the night after the TT. According to the team. Though "mild" can means lots of things.

Sepp Kuss and Edoardo Affini withdrew citing illness, but didn't report COVID positives, suggesting something non-COVID in the Jumbo camp. And it's not like withdrawing due to illness is a new thing.

The Ineos guys, Sivakov and Hayter, didn't report symptoms. But omicron is so darn infectious, arguably it makes sense to get them away from Rodriguez and TGH (and everyone else). You don't want those guys sharing the team bus, at the minimum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
The Ineos guys, Sivakov and Hayter, didn't report symptoms. But omicron is so darn infectious, arguably it makes sense to get them away from Rodriguez and TGH (and everyone else). You don't want those guys sharing the team bus, at the minimum.
Hopefully, it's not already too late. I'd be wondering whether or not I'd picked up something from being around one or more of the 21 riders (as of today) who have pulled out of the Vuelta after a positive COVID test. Team bus, hotel room, dinner table, or just a handshake at some point.

We're only at the half-way point of the race. They could be down to just over 100 finishers if the COVID positive test rate stays where it is.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, FFS so much for LFF at Worlds (probably). Going right to the arm sling is never a good sign.

Not great for Remco either, being probably the best climber (next to Remco) on QS.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 31, 22 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
They could be down to just over 100 finishers if the COVID positive test rate stays where it is.

Ooooohhhh!!! If they have 64 riders with 6 days left [I think that's right?] at the end of each day, they cut the back HALF on GC, so the Final Stage is mano a mano

If anyone cares, Danny Van Poppel is currently La Linterna Roja

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
I want to agree, but just can't.

We are overall in a much better place, and the risk to these athletes is exceedingly low. Wout came back and smahsed Paris Roubaix. That said, I have a close friend who lost his Dad to what was seemingly a mild infection, until it wasn't. Other than being older, he was strapping.

I think pulling the plug the moment they test positive is the right abundance of caution. That small risk for lingering damage goes up if they continue to redline it every day. I would argue this for any infection, but epsecially for the still wierd and unpredictable.

Yet allowing riders who are symptomatic with another respiratory infection to battle through a few stages - and possibly pass it on to others - is okay?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:

Yet allowing riders who are symptomatic with another respiratory infection to battle through a few stages - and possibly pass it on to others - is okay?

Not necessarily OK. For example if Jumbo could have kept Affini from picking up something from Kuss, they might be regretting that situation. (Just speculating, I have no idea if they got the same non-COVID illness, or if Kuss raced with symptoms).

Also not all infections are the same. The current COVID variants seem insanely infectious - it tear through an entire bus all at once if not careful. While some are reasonably easy to contain.

Agree we're awfully close to just consdering COVID another of the set of mild illnesses. But I don't think cycling is out of line just yet in treating it differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:

Not necessarily OK. For example if Jumbo could have kept Affini from picking up something from Kuss, they might be regretting that situation. (Just speculating, I have no idea if they got the same non-COVID illness, or if Kuss raced with symptoms).

Also not all infections are the same. The current COVID variants seem insanely infectious - it tear through an entire bus all at once if not careful. While some are reasonably easy to contain.

Agree we're awfully close to just consdering COVID another of the set of mild illnesses. But I don't think cycling is out of line just yet in treating it differently.

Just because something is very infectious, it doesn't follow that it's automatically dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your thoughts are duly noted.

Now, what do you think Ala's crash does to Remco's chances??
Last edited by: WannaB: Aug 31, 22 9:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but you don't know how it might infect some one else; even if you are asymptomatic you can pass it on to others
and Covid has proven to be dangerous
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Your thoughts are duly noted.

Now, what do you think Ala's crash does to Remco's chances??

It doesn't help Remco, that's for sure. Ala has often been the last guy to deliver Remco to the start of the final climb. I wonder who will take over that role.

GT teams these days are smaller than they used to be - the TdF used to be raced with 10 man teams as late as the mid 1980s - so losing anyone is costly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
Just because something is very infectious, it doesn't follow that it's automatically dangerous.

That may be true broadly, but we are talking about COVID here. There are very real chances of long term consequences on the cardiovascular system with COVID that aren't really there with other mild respiratory infections. It's likely not dangerous for most riders, but then again an infection could put a guy out for months (El Tractor comes to mind). If I had a guy test positive on my team I certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near my other riders, even if he is asymptomatic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

And to think that Yates had one of his best ever time trial performances yesterday, all the while he was gravely ill.

This Covid protocol nonsense needs to end. If they ain't sick... they ain't sick.

It was ridiculous how during the TdF there were riders who were allowed to stay in the race and were fighting through stages with heavily symptomatic respiratory infections that weren't Covid - but riders who were healthy and completely non-symptomatic had to leave the race when they tested positive for Covid!

Sivakov also destroyed that TT!
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredericknorton wrote:
Maryland Pro Cycling Classic this Sunday Sept 4. maybe its own thread - maybe just a couple, 3-4 posts here.

I ride these roads all the time (though I may be down to zero koms (already - we have ballers round here - 2 local riders racing - Chaz Turmon and Scott McGill (potential top 5 - great finish) by the race end).

web site link: https://www.marylandcyclingclassic.us/

euros are starting to arrive and do local rides / school visits - pretty fun!

early prediction: Dylan Groen.. I think the race is pretty hard for the first 50 miles but as long as the break isnt stacked - its a much easier ride back to the city circuits and finish.

the break could be stacked cuz - Powless, Simmons, Robin Carpenter, Kyle Murphy.....
US national team is composed of some incredible local-ish talent : our club's elite team has our 2 u23 national champs Liam Flanagan and Patrick Welsh and our road captain Spencer Miller and local Alpecin rider Eddie Anderson and only 10 miles from the course Scott McGill (and a few Tour de L'Avenir guys).
Fun times to be a local fan!

This likely needs a new thread...
Having said that, I was thinking of coming down to see the race but at the moment I dont think I have the energy to drive down (from NYC).
You mention McGill, is he on The Wildelife team? I (surprisingly) did not see them on the start list.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US national team is weird mix - McGill is riding with national team. McGill lives maybe 15 miles from the course. quite cool seeing a local race!
saw a ride from 2 legions guys today (boardman and tyler williams) - they were hauling (i only lost 1 kom - i'll take that!).
i'll be curious how hard the folks ride in the break. the first 50 miles are pretty tough up/down with turns constantly.
a really strong break could make the chase (Dylan Groen and bike ex?) very long and tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't Michael Matthews going to be there? I think I read that somewhere.
If he is I can see BEX sending him in the break and then they dont need to chase.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Isn't Michael Matthews going to be there? I think I read that somewhere.
If he is I can see BEX sending him in the break and then they dont need to chase.

Bling is in. Or was. Who knows these days.

I'm coming up to check it out. Have not seen a field here like this since Richmond. Great for Charm City. Even the O's are coming around.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bling is in!!
he is a personal favorite (sagan was my previous favorite - tough times for this fan! (contador before that)).
that mende stage win was incredible.

bike ex is doing a coffee shop ride 10-1130ish on saturday
and
the start at 130 at kelly headquarters will have riders around for a good 90 minutes at least.

its not richmond deep (nor does it have the week long build up of additional events) but the top riders are awesome (especially with combo of local talent).

a strava of 2 legion boys riding pretty hard yesterday (koms in DANGER!)
https://www.strava.com/activities/7732791926/overview

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remco showing a bit of his immaturity complaining about motos when he clearly just slid out his front wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McGill is a character, never heard of him until listening to the Bonk Bros podcast.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Remco showing a bit of his immaturity complaining about motos when he clearly just slid out his front wheel.

Bad gravity, it happens dude

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next