Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well - AvV and Remco made considering anyone's fitness pretty irrelevant.
AvV looked terrible in those smaller groups only a few days ago. I didn't see that kind of return to AvV of old so quickly.
what a ride and kudos to Demi V for doing a 40 mile solo tt behind her.

Remco - yikes. put some more tts in the tour and we'd immediately have 3 favorites instead of 2.
also between Remco and Wout how many races do they even lose and when and how will Remco have to drop Wout to win worlds?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still don't know why Remco didn't ride the Tour. It was made for him this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dragon ladies. Damn. AvV has a mechanical and Demi and Co push on hard while AvV is riding a borrowed bike.
Last edited by: McNulty: Jul 31, 22 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 bike changes ? Goldilocks - this one, nope, this one - argh, this One is Just right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I still don't know why Remco didn't ride the Tour. It was made for him this year.

Given his quasi-meltdown at the Giro last year, I think they're easing him back into Grand Tours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even had AvV been distanced, she'd just reel her main competitors on the climb.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Given his quasi-meltdown at the Giro last year, I think they're easing him back into Grand Tours.

They certainly are. I just wish they didn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Veronica Ewers. What a ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did she come from? What I can find says she is a soccer star turned cyclist. I've seen her this year, but this result is next level for her. The whole race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else get distracted at the finish by the motorbike that fell over, then them trying to get it stood back up, then it smoking really badly because it had fallen over?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Well this is interesting. Superman Lopez under investigation for doping and potential trafficking.

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/07/miguel-angel-lopez-is-being-investigated-for-alleged-drug-trafficking/

TOTALLY EXONERATED!!
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that. I didn't see it stood up, as it was a replay on youtube. I was hoping the camera man (or woman) didn't get hurt. Unexpected fall and holding a heavy camera must have been awkward and or painful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well we'll well. That took an unexpected twist.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alpecin has announced the signings of SKA, Hermans, Groves and Plowright. They are going to have a hell of a strong team that will contest with the best in all of the early Spring races and the Ardennes. GC Jay Vine and Quinten Hermans. That is some serious firepower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Alpecin has announced the signings of SKA, Hermans, Groves and Plowright. They are going to have a hell of a strong team that will contest with the best in all of the early Spring races and the Ardennes. GC Jay Vine and Quinten Hermans. That is some serious firepower.

Dang... from "we don't want to be World Tour" to this!

Will Hermans race 'cross with Alpecin as well?
Last edited by: jstonebarger: Aug 3, 22 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't heard otherwise. They clearly support their Cross riders doing both it seems and one would hope he gets to ride a split schedule if he wants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These 3 Jumbo-Visma guys (Burgos) are almost instantly going to want their victory salutes back.

JV was lined up with a leadout of 4, and the guy 3rd in line crashed himself over a speed bump, and took out half the field.

I don't know why the race organizers would have a speed bump at ~500m to go, though. There was one of the flag-waving guys to signal it. But still.

The one guy with his hands not up was the guy 4th in line, and probably understands what happened.

Last edited by: trail: Aug 3, 22 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Hermans on the team they will have one hell of a 'cross line up.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
These 3 Jumbo-Visma guys (Burgos) are almost instantly going to want their victory salutes back.

JV was lined up with a leadout of 4, and the guy 3rd in line crashed himself over a speed bump, and took out half the field.

I don't know why the race organizers would have a speed bump at ~500m to go, though. There was one of the flag-waving guys to signal it. But still.

The one guy with his hands not up was the guy 4th in line, and probably understands what happened.

A speed bump on a downhill section, no less

UCI fails its duty of ensuring a safe course, yet again...
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:

A speed bump on a downhill section, no less

UCI fails its duty of ensuring a safe course, yet again...

Just what I was thinking. Who is approving a finish like that? With those barriers? Down hill? With sleeping police? Are they trying to cause another incident like we saw in Poland? This is a failure of duty to products the riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Yep. Affini and Roosen most certainly did not know and had a different look to their body language. Harper knew and looked dejected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I often wonder how routes are chosen for races - do they map them out and say "That's it" or do they map them out first then recon them before they finalize?

If they drove the course first, they could've said "Nope, can't use this street. Speed bump. How about we go down here, instead? Or maybe come around the other way, so the speed bump is past the finish line?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A shocking amount of finish lines are put in spots that are simply "better" logistically for organizers. Places where spectators can amass, where you can show off historic city centres, etc. I will say it is not always easy to balance out coverage, vehicles and fans. Part of the classics are batshit crazy roads with dangerous cobbles and narrowing that always gives us issues.

The UCI is just bad.
The cyclists don't seem well organized in their demands.

I don't know where the balance exactly is in all of this. I do know it does not include super fast downhill finishes where you are going to have a bunch of trains riding. With obstacles. Oh yeah and the bad barriers. Who could have thought it would turn out poorly?

Yesterday felt like they somehow missed some of the lessens learned from Poland.

Sadly this should be a reminder to all that both sides of professional cycling crash too damn often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
A shocking amount of finish lines are put in spots that are simply "better" logistically for organizers. Places where spectators can amass, where you can show off historic city centres, etc. I will say it is not always easy to balance out coverage, vehicles and fans. Part of the classics are batshit crazy roads with dangerous cobbles and narrowing that always gives us issues.

I'm guessing the closest equivalent that I have personally experienced are day- or weekend-long MS Bike tours of 50 to 100 miles per day, which typically start & finish in places with large parking lots

In between, we mostly ride on County roads ...

... with occasional journeys through housing developments/residential neighborhoods

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tronchon rode a hell of a good ride to out "sprint" Sivakov in Burgos. I don't know what the GC contenders were thinking. Ineos nailed their plan to perfection and the rest of the teams decided to spend the remaining time in a woeful state of poor racing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next