Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
**SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS**
Quote | Reply
We are six days away from the start of the spring season, and as such, i'm reviving our annual tradition and the prediction game.

Rules as follows: before the start of the race, pick five riders, three podium positions plus two wildcards. The points scored will be as such: base point, podium bonus, and winner bonus.

For base point, if any of your five picks finish anywhere in the top five, you get one point. For podium bonus, if any of your three podium picks finish on the podium, you get an additional point. For winner bonus, 1.5 additional points on top of the base point and podium bonus. The maximal one can score per round will be 5 base points + 3 podium bonuses + 1.5 winner bonus. The point system remains mostly unchanged from last year except for the winner bonus (changed from 1 to 1.5)

The races for the prediction game are as follows: Het Nieuwsblad, Strade Bianche, Milano San Remo, Dwars Door Vlaanderen, E3, Gent Wevelgem, De Ronde, Paris Roubaix, Brabantse Pijl, Amstel Gold, Fleche Wallonne, and Liege Bastogne Liege

Currently, all races are weighed equally. I would prefer to keep this unchanged, though i'm also open to weighing the races by their UCI designation (1.HC, World Tour, and Monuments).

You may check your standing in the prediction game by visiting here

FAQ:

-How do i watch the races?

Steephill.tv has a list of TV broadcasters for every race. Some links are from pirate feeds, and you venture in at your own risk. For others, having a VPN is the way to go. A VPN to Belgium will cover all your viewing needs as Sporza will be televising every single race. For English coverage, VPN to the EU will get you access to Eurosport, for which you will need to pay a subscription. Post race, you may find full replays on cyclingtorrents.nl and youtube.

-How do I know who'll be racing?

Again, steephill.tv has the start list before each race. Cyclingnews should also have this info

-What do I get out of this?

Aren't bragging rights good enough? Jest aside, I'm open to suggestions on this.

-Why is the Scheldprijs not included?

Just because ;)
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sh*ts about to get real, FINALLY.

Eddy Boss is looking like a BOSS, hopefully he can bag a cobbled race. Kittel also looks back to his old self, Kristoff is off to another hot start. Nibali showing some spark too.

Thanks for reviving this.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm intrigued about Tony Martin's prospects.

Also, Cancellara is back
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with Spackler, EBH is the proper shit. Hard as hell on the nose, with notes of Cancellara and Nibali and a Kristoff-like finish. Any classic, I would pick him right now.

Cancellara is looking good enough to inspire some nostalgia an I would like to see Boonen have a renaissance. Of course I will have my eye on Canuck Mike Woods, don't bet against him.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Sh*ts about to get real, FINALLY.

Eddy Boss is looking like a BOSS, hopefully he can bag a cobbled race. Kittel also looks back to his old self, Kristoff is off to another hot start. Nibali showing some spark too.

Thanks for reviving this.

Yup...that about sums it up.

Boss Hog looks good to finally bag a big win. Anticipating a Kristoff / Kittle duel in San Remo.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kittel won't be doing MSR, apparently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love to see FC and Boonen have one more epic battle but with the likes of EBH, Sagan, Matthews, Stybar, and so on, hard to see it coming down to another Mano-e-Mano duel. Degenkolb is a big wild card but difficult to imagine he'll be on last year's form again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Degenkolb is out after that car ran into the Giant team while training...almost lost a finger.

Kitten is not doing MSR? Why?

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortuntely, Degenkolb is out of the classics due to the car crash in Spain. Huge bummer as his Roubaix win was awesome last year.

Would like to see some great performances from Boonen and Cancellara, but I just don't see Boonen doing it. However, based on early season form, I think Cancellara has a good shot at one last big win.

Kristoff has to be the early favorite for San Remo even though some people seem to be real high on Matthews. If Kristoff is there at the end, I think the only guys that can potentially beat him in that sprint are Sagan or the absent Degenkolb.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [nightman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Favourites have to be Kristoff and Sagan for MSR, if he can handle the distance don't discount Ewan as well.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. XYZ
2. Sagan
3. XYZ

he he he

can't wait!!!!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
1. XYZ
2. Sagan
3. XYZ

he he he

can't wait!!!!

i think second is reserved for GvA ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL

The 2do place is always a great fight between GvA, Sep, or Sagan LOL

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
LOL

The 2do place is always a great fight between GvA, Sep, or Sagan LOL

havent heard a lot from Sep these days, anyone know how his form is?

Im thinking Fabian, EVB, GvA, Sagan and Kristoff...original i know
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [nightman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last report I read was Degenkolb still a possibility for later spring classics, which is why I noted wild card.

Broken rib for Greipel today. With no Cav, Kristoff will be tough to beat at KBK.
Quote Reply
viewing the classics [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey there
any suggestions for east coast US viewing? neither Steephill.tv nor Cycling.tv have schedules up. doing a Comcast search, I couldn't find any Classic on BEIN or NBCSports.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: viewing the classics [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's Boogie Nights Paolini's status? He was a beast for Kristoff.
Firing up the Tunnelbear.
Quote Reply
Re: viewing the classics [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

the rednosed reindeer is probably suspended for at least two years...

anyways, start list for Het Nieuwsblad is out. http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ite-2016/start-list/

absent are Stybar, Vanmarcke, and Cancellara

edit: forgot Stannard, the 2x defending champ
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 23, 16 6:32
Quote Reply
Re: viewing the classics [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going with Kristoff for Het Volk (refuse to use the "new" name Wink) and Boss Hog for KBK.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunny, high winds on both days, especially Sunday (20+ mph sustained). KBK may turn into a rerun of the 2014 edition
Quote Reply
Re: viewing the classics [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I'm going with Kristoff for Het Volk (refuse to use the "new" name Wink) and Boss Hog for KBK.

such (over-)confidence, would you like to round out your picks :p?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Power13 wrote:

such (over-)confidence, would you like to round out your picks :p?

I need to finish putting names on a dartboard (and then gotta find my darts to toss).....stand by. Wink

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

the rednosed reindeer is probably suspended for at least two years...

anyways, start list for Het Nieuwsblad is out. http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ite-2016/start-list/

absent are Stybar, Vanmarcke, and Cancellara

edit: forgot Stannard, the 2x defending champ

That is BOGUS! Coolest guy in the peleton. So he likes a little bump now and then. So did Tommeke. Not performance enhancing. I'd argue that it's performance inhibiting and he should be given 10 minute head start.
Quote Reply
Re: viewing the classics [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going with Boonen for the Het as he's my Gus Triandos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Eddy Boss is looking like a BOSS, hopefully he can bag a cobbled race.

Great to see EBH finally re-finding his mojo after Sky strangled it with their super-domestique regime.
Quote Reply

Prev Next