Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
*** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)***
Quote | Reply

A few things right up front here:

1. Omloop is only 9 months away.
2. I love France.
3. I've had a few dust ups with the indiginous populants over the years. A bike box thing in Toulouse, a waiter in the Pyrenees. Parisians who speak English mo better than me and take snobbery to new heights. Respect, yo.
4. It's okay because, per number deux, it's a helluva country with big ass mountains to ride and climb and ski and then get hammered on great wine and cheese and pig entrails, etc. Point being, there's no free lunch. But I am going to make fun of them every chance I get.

Things we can count on:

1. Bad calls by the commissaires. Someone will get sent packing and they may not be French.
2. There will be large crashes because the road is small and the field is big with race directors screaming move up move up and someone will fly off into a cow pasture as a french farmer looks on, shaking his head in disgust.
3. There will be farmers on strike.
4. The podium ladies will be spectacular. No grand tour can touch them. And if anyone else does, le Badger will punch them out. (sidebar: Hinault was definitely tough but let's face it, tough for a former cyclist not tough for, say, pro rugby. He's not going to come after a former New Zealand All Black...)
5. The Brit announcers will say "Chwis Fwoome" every 45 seconds.
6. Sean Kelly will fall asleep mid sentence during a sprint stage.
7. There will be sunflowers.
8. The cat will be amongst the pigeons and lots of people will be in a spot of bother.
9. A fan will run alongside and fall flat on his face.
10. I miss Paul Sherwen. Class dude.

Who is going to win? No idea, don't really care but a podium with Uran, Bardet and Domoulin would be cool. Not going to happen. It may be Ineos, Ineos and Ineos. I want to see Thomas De Gendt get a stage, Ben King get a stage, Sagan return to form, Cav have a good ride but even when he was at his peak, he couldn't get over the Tourmalet. Nibali is riding? Somebody call a doctor?

Allez.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Chris Froome has been forced to abandon the Critérium du Dauphiné after the Ineos rider crashed during a reconnoitre of Wednesday's fourth stage.

Froome, who was using the eight-day race as preparation for next month's Tour de France, is understood to have crashed heavily ahead of the 26.1-kilometre individual time trial in Roanne, with some reports saying he had sustained a fracture."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...owing-warm-up-crash/

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

A few things right up front here:

1. Omloop is only 9 months away.
2. I love France.
3. I've had a few dust ups with the indiginous populants over the years. A bike box thing in Toulouse, a waiter in the Pyrenees. Parisians who speak English mo better than me and take snobbery to new heights. Respect, yo.
4. It's okay because, per number deux, it's a helluva country with big ass mountains to ride and climb and ski and then get hammered on great wine and cheese and pig entrails, etc. Point being, there's no free lunch. But I am going to make fun of them every chance I get.

Things we can count on:

1. Bad calls by the commissaires. Someone will get sent packing and they may not be French.
2. There will be large crashes because the road is small and the field is big with race directors screaming move up move up and someone will fly off into a cow pasture as a french farmer looks on, shaking his head in disgust.
3. There will be farmers on strike.
4. The podium ladies will be spectacular. No grand tour can touch them. And if anyone else does, le Badger will punch them out. (sidebar: Hinault was definitely tough but let's face it, tough for a former cyclist not tough for, say, pro rugby. He's not going to come after a former New Zealand All Black...)
5. The Brit announcers will say "Chwis Fwoome" every 45 seconds.
6. Sean Kelly will fall asleep mid sentence during a sprint stage.
7. There will be sunflowers.
8. The cat will be amongst the pigeons and lots of people will be in a spot of bother.
9. A fan will run alongside and fall flat on his face.
10. I miss Paul Sherwen. Class dude.

Who is going to win? No idea, don't really care but a podium with Uran, Bardet and Domoulin would be cool. Not going to happen. It may be Ineos, Ineos and Ineos. I want to see Thomas De Gendt get a stage, Ben King get a stage, Sagan return to form, Cav have a good ride but even when he was at his peak, he couldn't get over the Tourmalet. Nibali is riding? Somebody call a doctor?

Allez.

Will Froome even make the start? http://www.cyclingnews.com/...fter-training-crash/

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumour is that it's a broken pelvis.

Let G and Bernal go for the win!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likely broken femur per Brailsford.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris Froome (Team Ineos) has crashed out of the Criterium du Dauphine, fracturing his femur and so ending his hopes of riding the Tour de France.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...fter-training-crash/

Can Thomas win?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There we go. Ouch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most excited about #1. That’s something to get excited about.

Personally I’m looking forward to hearing about all the chateaus during TdF broadcast. They remind me of my Amazon house.

Crazy about Froome, and bummer to go out that way. GT to save the day again; competition will be fierce for 3rd spot on podium. And Aru will be back, so there’s that.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jun 12, 19 6:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Pressure? What is pressure?" - P. Sagan

He's getting the green.

I am looking forward to some good coverage about Sherwen and hope the Tour might put a monument or something up for him somewhere.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
"Chris Froome has been forced to abandon the Critérium du Dauphiné after the Ineos rider crashed during a reconnoitre of Wednesday's fourth stage.

Froome, who was using the eight-day race as preparation for next month's Tour de France, is understood to have crashed heavily ahead of the 26.1-kilometre individual time trial in Roanne, with some reports saying he had sustained a fracture."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...owing-warm-up-crash/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm bummed that Froome is out. I did not like him initially, but now respect his ability and he has ridden with panache. Would have liked to see him get fifth.

A fresh Dumoulin may be trouble for Ineos and Thomas. He's my hope now.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excited to see how Tom goes in today's TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gutted to see Froome out, hope he heals as quickly as he can. Brailsford said he hit a wall at about 60 kph so it was a really big one. It's a real shame for the Tour too - for all the flack he (and the team) takes, he's been responsible for some of the most exciting days of GT racing in the past three years.

Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Van Dert is smoking everyone in ITT today. Diesel, can sprint, and apparently TT too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see Froome and Sky/Ineos get beat, but not like this. I want to see the best go at each other.

Haven't figured who I'm rooting for this year. Rooted for Voeckler for years. Would like to see more riders ride crazier and less calculated like he did.

When I hear the names of the riders in my head, it's in Sean Kelly's voice.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may not understand the meaning of panache. Yes he wins but Froome is the anti-panache.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Froome is out I’d very much enjoy seeing what Thomas has got as leader of the team from the start, the full 3 weeks under more pressure than last year - retaining the title would be great to see!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
You may not understand the meaning of panache. Yes he wins but Froome is the anti-panache.

For the bulk of his career, sure, but in the last few years he's made some pretty daring moves. Breaking away with Sagan, catching guys asleep over the top of a climb and attacking the descent, the Landis moves in the Giro....
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
I am looking forward to some good coverage about Sherwen and hope the Tour might put a monument or something up for him somewhere.

They [NBCSports] did a little montage for him at the beginning of Tour of California

As beloved as he was to us, the English-speaking fans, I doubt the Tour organizers feel the same way, and would hono(u)r him is such a way

I could be wrong, and I hope I am

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: #4

Always thought Tour de Suisse rivaled if not beats TdF in this aspect...

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Randmart. I had the ToC dvred, but I guess it didn't record the tribute. I guess I was speaking from an americanist point of view

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/...h/?v=723787541357410

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Thanks Randmart. I had the ToC dvred, but I guess it didn't record the tribute

It way have been in the Preview show, not at the start of Stage 1 coverage

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, he used to follow a race formula but that has gone out the window over years. Froome has definitely ridden with panache.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Tour de France Thread (SPOILERS)*** [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

LOL. You may not follow GT racing closely.

To what trail and carl have said, and noting there are many specific examples, I'll just ask you this:

What active rider has show more panache than Froome on Stage 19 of 2018 Giro?

My take on Froome is that he followed conservative Sky directions in the beginning of his career, but after he had success he started riding the way he wanted. I remember it starting with the downhill attack a three or four years ago in the Tour.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply

Prev Next