Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huge win for Chad and what a stage to finish on !
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
without googling/searching/using wikipedia, name the last two American stage winners at il Giro, and the year when they won the respective stages. Baby Giro and Giro Feminine don't count

1 point to the first response correctly identifying each rider (2 points max) toward next year's Spring Classic pick'em

Haga ! 2019

Tejay......2017?
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
without googling/searching/using wikipedia, name the last two American stage winners at il Giro, and the year when they won the respective stages. Baby Giro and Giro Feminine don't count

1 point to the first response correctly identifying each rider (2 points max) toward next year's Spring Classic pick'em

Van Garderen won a stage last year, I think.

And Haga this year. :)

Shit, McNulty beat me to the joke.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 2, 19 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Van Garderen won a stage last year, I think.

And Haga this year. :)

Shit, McNulty beat me to the joke.

McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:

Haga ! 2019

Tejay......2017?
dammit kids, that's not what I meant;

McNulty does get a point for Tejay though

I need the other one before Tejay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Phinney in the TTT? There was probably someone else in between.

Oh, BTW: HAAAAAGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The much maligned Tyler Farrar.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did not research that....i just remember sticking up for him on ST some time back about how damn good the guy is/was...i think he won stages in TdF and Giro.......

did i win again??
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
i did not research that....i just remember sticking up for him on ST some time back about how damn good the guy is/was...i think he won stages in TdF and Giro.......

did i win again??

Good guess! BTW I think he won several Vuelta stages too. Farrar was a damn good sprinter who was always knocking at the door of a really big win but never quite pulled it off.

How many Americans have won stages in all 3 Grand Tours? Not that many. Farrar. Zabriskie. And ???
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way Haga writes an occasional blog which is quite good - his most recent entry was after the last TT:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/...oulin-and-moving-on/

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for the next entry!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
The much maligned Tyler Farrar.

eb wrote:
echappist wrote:

Phinney in the TTT? There was probably someone else in between.

Oh, BTW: HAAAAAGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!

you guys are so close, but not quite
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Farrar was a damn good sprinter who was always knocking at the door of a really big win but never quite pulled it off.

I thought his TdF stage win over Cavendish was a really big win. And included a nice salute to his buddy who'd died in a Giro crash that year.

Edit:. In fact all six of his GT wins were big.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 2, 19 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race! Could have lived without all the nasty weather week 1.

Awesome for Carapaz. Great team win, but still loved the way he tried to almost single-handedly counter every attack against him.

No particular attachment to Roglic, but bummed for him. Dude had no one around. And the Stage 14 bike Fubar was silly.

Unlike Nibali, who had a superb race, but Pozzovivo and Caruso were a force.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
eb wrote:
Farrar was a damn good sprinter who was always knocking at the door of a really big win but never quite pulled it off.

I thought his TdF stage win over Cavendish was a really big win. And included a nice salute to his buddy who'd died in a Giro crash that year.

dude was underappreciated. He was also decent in the classics, though he never won anything of note. Most would be happy to have his palmares
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
About the only way I can imagine Roglic not just killing everyone is if he is peaking too early. I think he finished no better than 2nd or 3rd on any stage at Romandie. TT, sprint, hilltop finish,... the guy is on fire.

That is what I was thinking...he was also untouchable going back to the UAE tour...long time to hold great form when we're talking about the finish at the Verona 1 month away from now and that TT is after 4 mountain stage in 5 days after the rest day...so if you're flat after the rest day, then its two days of mountain grinding, one flat stage 2 days of mountains and a TT. Froome needed to be on fire in that last week to pull up the magic trick (we can debate what Sky magic was involved....but whatever....Yates was flat in week 3). Hopefully Roglic is not on form too early.

I'm personally hoping for Dumoulin after two second places last year in the Giro and TdF and at the World's he was 2nd in the ITT, 2nd in the TT and he came oh so close to the win in the road race briding the gap and then slipping to 4th...would have much rather seen him win than Valverde.

Dumoulin would be my sentimental pick as well

One hopes that his sport directors would be wiser this year. That whole fiasco of waiting for dropped riders really cost him. I think he actually lost 30 seconds on the descent due to waiting. Then there's the additional lack of incentive for the group to work together in the finale, with Carapaz attacking Angel Lopez and vice versa. The podium/overall seemed gone for them, so they were trying to drop each other for best young rider; however, Dumoulin would have benefited more from steady riding. This sort of riding always happens when there's too many strong riders in a race in the closing stages.

Did not spend much time on ST this month and only checked in for daily articles on cycling news and velonews

1. Sky was probably hoping that Dumoulin would get nicely cooked at Giro....no luck...he's be on fire at the TdF
  2. Roglic peaked too early. We all kind of said that during the pre race/first week
  3. Chapau to Nibali

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:
eb wrote:

dude was underappreciated. He was also decent in the classics, though he never won anything of note. Most would be happy to have his palmares

And that right there is what I meant by "really big win".

GT stage = big win. Major classic = really big win. :-)
Last edited by: eb: Jun 2, 19 13:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Catching up on Giro happenings after fading worse than Roglic yesterday at DK. You called Carapaz out early <golf claps>. Great performance by him and how he managed race. And still so young to be a GT winner.

Nibali is going to lament staring down Roglic for so long. He was a bit out-gunned by the Movistar duo but I though rode a really impressive race otherwise.

Roglic? That’s the second time he’s faded at end of GT, last year having a poor final ITT and slipping off TdF podium. He’s gotta figure out how to close the deal.

Yates was a cautionary tale in believing your own hype.

Good wins by Chavez and Haga. Gotta be happy for those guys.

Ciao, ciao, ciao
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fact that Roglic had a team that couldn't support him also certainly took its toll.

Great win by Haga and his post race interview made me tear up a bit. I didn't know the back story about the loss of his father. Great win for a selfless rider and I appreciate the fact that the first thing he did was point out other's sacrifices for him to achieve his dream.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just noticed your comment about Chavez and I agree! Superb to see him back on form after his struggles. That lad deserves all the best.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also saw a quote from him that said that crash he had on the bike exchange stage took a toll. I imagine hitting a guardrail at whatever speed he was going probably is going to create some soreness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Catching up on Giro happenings after fading worse than Roglic yesterday at DK. You called Carapaz out early <golf claps>. Great performance by him and how he managed race. And still so young to be a GT winner.

Nibali is going to lament staring down Roglic for so long. He was a bit out-gunned by the Movistar duo but I though rode a really impressive race otherwise.

Roglic? That’s the second time he’s faded at end of GT, last year having a poor final ITT and slipping off TdF podium. He’s gotta figure out how to close the deal.

Yates was a cautionary tale in believing your own hype.

Good wins by Chavez and Haga. Gotta be happy for those guys.

Ciao, ciao, ciao

Was his form just too good going in and he peaked too early. Last year at the TdF, the day before the ITT he really pushed hard over the top of the final climb and descent and made big gains, but probably burnt a lot of matches for the next day relative to Froome, Thomas and Dumoulin just sitting in on a chase. Also Roglic is still maturing as a cyclist. He was in a fast twitch sport before this so he may not have the same degree of "base" that many others have. I don't know what other aerobic sports he was doing during his ski jumper development, but that path is different than coming in to cycling as a soccer player or swimmer from age 10 to 18. Maybe he just needs more time.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 2, 19 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ Echappist
I couldn't stand it so I looked it up. Dude was fast. :)
I had no idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
@ Echappist
I had no idea.

Tyler Hamilton?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:
@ Echappist
I had no idea.

Tyler Hamilton?

Nope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:
@ Echappist
I had no idea.

Tyler Hamilton?

Nope

Is he known for a special nutty cream?

DZ?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Chapau to Nibali

He had great form, but I don't know how this isn't one he will be slapping himself in the forehead for the rest of his life.

Lost by 1:05 and gave up 3x that on two stages playing around with Roglic on two stages instead of riding.

Sure hindsight is 20/20, but no great champion is so cocky he allows any rival (and Carapaz has to be a rival after finishing 4th the year before - behind Froome, Dumoulin, and Lopez) to go up the mountain without a chase. He even admitted at the time he might be losing the race as a result.

Self-fulfilling prophecy.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply

Prev Next