Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
rruff wrote:
It isn't unusual for a dominant junior to end up mediocre. I think early maturity has a lot to do with it, and serious training at a young age. Other riders eventually surpass them.

But... Evenepoel only started cycling last year. And the way he is winning, the competition has a lot of catching up to do.

Its been said that the reason why dominant juniors tend to underperform is that they are typically relying too much on their physical gifts and dont hone other skills- such as bike handling/tactics from young.

I can see merit in this. If as a teen you happen to be an early developer physically then you will crush everyone easily by just TT-ing off the front every race. This doesnt give you the chance to learn how to contest a bunch sprint effectively, how and when to attack at the right time, how to develop other weapons in your arsenal- descending skills, wheel surfing skills, etc... this puts the rider in trouble later on when everyone catches up physically, because then he has a limited skillset as compared to everyone else.

I can see that happen to evenepoel unfortunately. Limited cycling background, mainly wins by TTing off the front and just having a massive engine (understandable since he came from a pro soccer background, which is no cakewalk fitness wise). Either he picks up more skills from joining quick step or he will be in trouble later.

Of course, if he has a massive enough engine nothing else matters...

Miguel Indurain agrees with you. Lemond likely does not like Indurain's engine that got "massive" suddenly
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pleased that Spratty got second. Took a chance and was rewarded. Not seen any interviews with Corine Rivera so no idea what she was thinking trying to ride off the front. The ease with which Anna VdB caught the break on the climb was stunning

wish they would put more of the womens' UCI races back on TV. We haven't had a lot of the races since Evie Stevens' last year of racing. Next year will be exciting to see how the new Trek team do in the mix with Canyon, Boels, Sunweb, MS and the others.
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can catch almost all of women's racing on Eurosport

Anna VdB went through that break like a hot knife through butter. Spratt was going at tempo; the rest were going at threshold. Didn't take much for VdB to catch them.

Rivera should be applauded for going OTF (in contrast to and better than U.S. doing their miserable Skybot impression); too bad her teammates didn't have the legs to breakaway.
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 29, 18 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My picks Roglic, Kwiato, and Alaphilippe

Wild card picks, Adam Yates and Dan Martin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alaphilippe
Old Man Valverde
Kwiato

Wild cards are Sagan and Nibali because you never really know with those two

all i had to do was cut and paste ......

Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its awesome to hear that from Tom. Tomica, the guy who podium'd PR with training wheels but could still drop the peloton (and his own teammate!!) 10 years later. Tom won with the biggest engine, he won with the best tactics. I'd listen to that guy.
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
its awesome to hear that from Tom. Tomica, the guy who podium'd PR with training wheels but could still drop the peloton (and his own teammate!!) 10 years later. Tom won with the biggest engine, he won with the best tactics. I'd listen to that guy.

is that Tommeke's sister?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moscon
Roglic
Kiwato

Wildcars

Sagan and Valverde

I think Valverde has too much in his legs. Ala will be marked the entire race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:

Still love him attacking his own break that was away and where he would have won the sprint easily. Studly, and dashing. Didn't work, made little sense but what the hell. Would have been cool. That's panache.

Speaking of dynamic, I'm going with Sagan tomorrow as a darkish horse, longish shot. I know, he's not suited, etc. But,

1. We've seen him bury himself and climb when it was do or die. He will defend the hell out of the champ stripes.
2. He's lives for this stuff. If he's close to the front group at the summit of Hell Hole Hill, they're going to be very unhappy on the way down and in.
3. He'll be light and rested. He wasn't racing for GC or green in the Vuelta so form should be right on. Endurance will be there as will the boom shaka laka which is always there.
4. 7 hours of racing, controlled by the faves. He can and will be invisible almost all day. Then he can descend like no one else. Maybe Nibs.

Alaphillipe of course, Rusty Woods, Kwiat, Chris Horner, Nibs.........going to be very interesting. Maybe Pinot?

Go Peto Go. Best thing to happen to the world tour since podium girls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pinot... good idea. Don’t mind if I do.

I heard an awesome story about Evenepoel today. Probably shouldn’t share too much but let’s just say it includes Mrs. Merckx eviscerating him and his dad, which is probably not a way to start your career.

Van deer Breggen adds WC to Olympic championships, Flanders, LBL, Amstel Gold and Giro among others? That’s ridiculously impressive; there isn’t a contemporary dude that comes close.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 29, 18 17:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, amidst everyone saying Sagan can't win on this course, he considers the rainbow stripes to HIS, and isn't going to give them up without a fight. I don't think he's likely to win, but there's definitely a chance the race goes his way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:

could be. I only do Phlegmish in Fonetics.
and they're both #1 with fritos.
or something like that.

I love these threads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Pinot... good idea. Don’t mind if I do.

I heard an awesome story about Evenepoel today. Probably shouldn’t share too much but let’s just say it includes Mrs. Merckx eviscerating him and his dad, which is probably not a way to start your career.

Van deer Breggen adds WC to Olympic championships, Flanders, LBL, Amstel Gold and Giro among others? That’s ridiculously impressive; there isn’t a contemporary dude that comes close.

grigio or noir?

----------------
as for Anna VdB, she closed that 1 min 10 second gap in 2 min 45 seconds (though maybe the GPS time gap wasn't fully accurate). That'd suggest she's going at ~28kph while the break was going at 19kph; even if the gap had been only 40 seconds, she'd still have gone at 24 kph... Went past that break like hot knife through butter.

The only person as impressive would be Vos back in the early 2010s, as both could climb and sprint. VdB, however, has a time trialing engine as well, which Vos didn't have. Vos is quite the multi-discipline rider though, having achieved success in both MTB and CX (and track as well, IIRC)

and speaking of pros and other disciplines of cycling, truly amazing what they could do. I picked up MTB recently, and I'd bet some seriously out of shape dude can give me a run for my money in cat-3 MTB races (as in, lowest level of MTB racing). In contrast, the pros seem to navigate the technical demands of MTB with ease...

dsmallwood wrote:
echappist wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:

could be. I only do Phlegmish in Fonetics.
and they're both #1 with fritos.
or something like that.

I love these threads.

i'm just messing with ya :p

while we are on the topic of alcohol, who else is gonna join me in some early morning beer consumption? got a bottle of la Chouffe in the fridge.
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 29, 18 18:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
then. now. I'm in.

man, if Peto could win this ...... shoot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might have been drunk and hopped up on frites and mayo when I picked them, so don’t blame me if it goes sideways
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 29, 18 18:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s Noir season.

I have MTB and CX skill envy.

Let’s see: I’ll tune into race around 6:15 here in Cali. Beer? Yes. Which means later I’ll have to put my bike in the back of an Uber and drive around for 35 miles or so to keep up Strava game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:

Still love him attacking his own break that was away and where he would have won the sprint easily. Studly, and dashing. Didn't work, made little sense but what the hell. Would have been cool. That's panache.

Speaking of dynamic, I'm going with Sagan tomorrow as a darkish horse, longish shot. I know, he's not suited, etc. But,

1. We've seen him bury himself and climb when it was do or die. He will defend the hell out of the champ stripes.
2. He's lives for this stuff. If he's close to the front group at the summit of Hell Hole Hill, they're going to be very unhappy on the way down and in.
3. He'll be light and rested. He wasn't racing for GC or green in the Vuelta so form should be right on. Endurance will be there as will the boom shaka laka which is always there.
4. 7 hours of racing, controlled by the faves. He can and will be invisible almost all day. Then he can descend like no one else. Maybe Nibs.

Alaphillipe of course, Rusty Woods, Kwiat, Chris Horner, Nibs.........going to be very interesting. Maybe Pinot?

Go Peto Go. Best thing to happen to the world tour since podium girls.

Well if you are right that would be totally awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
It’s Noir season.

I have MTB and CX skill envy.

Let’s see: I’ll tune into race around 6:15 here in Cali. Beer? Yes. Which means later I’ll have to put my bike in the back of an Uber and drive around for 35 miles or so to keep up Strava game.
Whatever it takes. By any means necessary.
The weather and setting are surreal. 115k to go and guys are being dropped. Petos bro out dee back. Great fans. Reminds me of Roth. Hup! Hup! Hup! Whoops, mentioned triathlon. My bad. Won't happen again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kirienko gone already! I don’t know how anyone other than a light climber can be there at the end. This is hard. Warren Barguil is out on a mechanical then just slid out trying to get out of the cars and back on. That sucks for Alaphillipe Gilbert, but he has others.
Ireland has 2 guys in the break. That’s cool to see. Great kits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how are we watching?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
how are we watching?

VPN and Eurosport.

My Sagan theory is shot. He popped at 92k. Wow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wouldn't it be funny if Juraj Sagan won today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
as for Anna VdB, she closed that 1 min 10 second gap in 2 min 45 seconds (though maybe the GPS time gap wasn't fully accurate). That'd suggest she's going at ~28kph while the break was going at 19kph; even if the gap had been only 40 seconds, she'd still have gone at 24 kph... Went past that break like hot knife through butter.

The only person as impressive would be Vos back in the early 2010s, as both could climb and sprint. VdB, however, has a time trialing engine as well, which Vos didn't have. Vos is quite the multi-discipline rider though, having achieved success in both MTB and CX (and track as well, IIRC)

Apart from AvdB's very good ride, it was pretty amazing team-game from the Dutch squad. Van Dijk gets dropped off the break, as soon as she's caught van Vleuten strings everyone out, and as soon as that's neutralised van der Breggen goes off the front. The Dutch squad proceeds to ride 3-abreast at the head of the peloton, just to screw up any hopes of catching AvdB.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
how are we watching?

VPN and Eurosport.

My Sagan theory is shot. He popped at 92k. Wow.

When was last time Sagan rode in trade team jersey? He was Slovak national champ for a few years at least before he was world champ.
Quote Reply
Re: *****Road Worlds (spoilers) [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob Britton still in the break. What a ride.
I hope D Martin shanks em all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next