Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

(prescription) sleep aids
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had good results with any kind of sleep aid?

My only training window right now is early in the morning. It would require me to get up at around 5.30am.
Problem is, I can't fall asleep before at least 11pm, most times more like 12am. And I don't function well on 6h sleep. Even after several days of sleep deficit after getting up early, I still can't fall asleep at night.
Tried Valerian and "sleep rescue spray" (even a beer or glass of red wine), all to no avail.

Anyone here use prescription sleep aids, or has used them?
I find the over the counter ones impossible, I am totally out of it the next day.
Any suggestions much appreciated!!
Quote Reply
Re: (prescription) sleep aids [vivie1072] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Ambien, but i try to take it only if I MUST...and make sure you have time for a FULL 8 hours of sleep before taking it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try this combination - glass of wine, one benedryl and 3mg Melatonin.

Quote | Reply
Don't use drugs to get you to sleep. A drugged sleep is not the same as a natural sleep.

Just drag yourself out of bed for a couple of days (maybe weeks) and your body will reset itself to sleep earlier.

I work strange hours (today 7am to 3pm, 8pm to 4am) and have "taught" myself to sleep "on command". When I lay down with the intentions of sleeping, I am out very quickly. This after years of insomnia using all kinds of "sleep aids". On four hours of natrual sleep I am much better off than with eight or ten hours of medicated sleep.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife used to work at a sleep disorders lab here in Seattle, and told me that while alcohol is initially a sedative, a few hours later its metabolic by-products are very good at disrupting sleep cycles.
Quote Reply
Re: (prescription) sleep aids [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that is true for large amounts of alcohol but in smaller amounts I find it very helpful.

Quote | Reply
Melatonin works pretty well for me. I take a sublingual form, I think it works more effectively.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. lots of details sent via PM

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rozarem as per my friendly neighborhood doctor. It's non-addictive and gets me a great nights sleep.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you start getting up at 5:30 consistently, you will eventually start crashing by 10.

My DR. said sleeping 7-8 hours most nights with 1 or 2 5-6 hour nights a week may not be ideal, but "as long as it doesn't interfere with work or other obligations" its OK. That describes me. And most people I know, actually.

Regardless, he still gave me a perscrip. for Ambien. 1/2 pill works for me. Last night I slept from 10:30 to 6:30 straight and feel awesome right now. No side effects.

I use 1-2 Ibu. (or Tylenol PM or Benadril) once or 2X a week. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. So far I have used Ambien 4 times in 3 months and it works great every time.

Here's the problem: So we have 2 nights in a row of not-so-hot sleep (say 5-6 hours only). So we finally take something, either overcounter or prescrip. and sleep like the dead. Great. But would we sleep well anyway without it? That's my problem. Good luck.

Also, alcohol screws up my sleep in most instances. I try not to drink later than 8; usually only 1 drink (bedtime is 10-11).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay clear of Ambien and Lunesta!!!! These are some gnarly drugs! People, including myself, have done some pretty crazy things at night and not remembered anything!! examples...'drunk dialing' and cooking food are pretty common. Reports have came out of people even lapsing back into the doze during the morning commute and crashing! After a week I flushed my Ambien down the toilet.
If you need a sleep-aid I'd recommend Source Naturals - NightRest. Its an herbal mix with Melatonin. Good stuff. You should be able to find it at any health store.
Another thing...if you are like me and any slight bit of noise keeps you awake...either try silicone earplugs...or better for me...a fan! White-noise does me wonders on quality of sleep.

Ciao.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ambien is a good sleep aid to help you develope a routine sleep pattern. Basically, your teaching your body when you want fall asleep. Usual course is 10 to 14 days, thats it. Take one hour before you want to fall asleep, lay in bed with a book and soon you will be out.
Like any medication, they affect people differently. If it doesnt work for you, stop taking it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I don't think it is the greatest idea to have to use a medication to go to sleep, I do know that it does somtimes become necessary. I've needed a little assistance myself lately dealing with my mom in hospice.
In saying that, I have been good with a couple beers and Advil PM liquid Gels. I go right out.
Enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted the following about six months ago on another forum. Be careful if you choose to use one of these drugs.

I've seen a few threads in the past where others have discussed sleep disorders and wanted to share this with any of you who might be using Ambien. Yesterday I told my doctor about driving my kids to school in my PJs, going back home to bed, then not remembering anything about it. He told me one of the side effects of Ambien they've found is amnesia and that it's highly possible that's what happened to me! I googled "ambien amnesia" and found a lot of instances where this has occurred. These are a little scary:

*Ambien (zolpidem), a central nervous system depressant used to help people sleep, garnered unwanted attention this month with news stories about research showing unusual sleep actions, including walking, driving and eating, but not remembering any of it.

*Ambien, the nation's best-selling prescription sleeping pill, is showing up with regularity as a factor in traffic arrests, sometimes involving drivers who later say they were sleep-driving and have no memory of taking the wheel after taking the drug. Ambien's maker, Sanofi-Aventis, says the drug's record after 13 years of use in this country shows it is safe when taken as directed. But a spokeswoman, Melissa Feltmann, wrote in an e-mail message, "We are aware of reports of people driving while sleepwalking, and those reports have been provided to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as part of our ongoing postmarketing evaluation about the safety of our products."

*The traffic cases around the country include that of Dwayne Cribb, a longtime probation and parole officer in Rock Hill, S.C. Mr. Cribb says he remembers nothing after taking Ambien before bed last Halloween — until he awoke in jail to learn he had left his bed and gone for a drive, smashed into a parked van and driven away before crashing into a tree. Mr. Cribb is still facing charges of leaving the scene of an accident.

*A registered nurse who lives outside Denver took Ambien before going to sleep one night in January 2003. Sometime later — she says she remembers none of the episode — she got into her car wearing only a thin nightshirt in 20-degree weather, had a fender bender, urinated in the middle of an intersection, then became violent with police officers, according to her lawyer.

*Doctors affiliated with the University of Minnesota Medical Center who have studied Ambien recently reported the cases of two users who told doctors they sleep-drove to the supermarket while under the drug's influence. Neither of the patients remembered the episode the next day.

*One Utah doctor has seen two cases of potentially dangerous sleepwalking, including a businessman who was taking a somnolent stroll in his pajamas through a dark alley when someone found him.

*One of the cases that made news this week, was a woman who took Ambien to sleep during the day because she worked all night. She would get up, still asleep, and eat. The eating aspect is well enough known that it is included as a rare side effect in the warning literature provided by the manufacturer.
Last edited by: bobby710: Aug 10, 07 18:48
Quote Reply