Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

(S1 vs S2) or RS?
Quote | Reply
I've read through the other threads about this, but I was wondering what the performance difference is between the S2 and S1? S2 is just stiffer? My LBS let me borrow an S2 for a few days and it road like a dream but was super stiff on rough roads. Now I have an RS for a few days and have just road it around the block but it seems like it doesn't handle as well as the S2 but is much more comfortable.

I'm thinking that the S1 might be a good compromise. Isn't that bike a little less stiff/easier ride than the S2? Plus it's much cheaper so I wouldn't be so scared to crash it. But...doesn't home owners insurance cover crashed bikes? Maybe not...

I just want a comfortable bike that handles well and descends well. I will use my P2c in races and will race the road bike but primarily use it for training.

Thanks!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: (S1 vs S2) or RS? [npearson99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump because i'm curious if anyone has feedback. i've heard the RS is supremely comfortable but that it's still a race bike (ie much of the cervelo team riding the RS at paris-roubaix). how does it not handle as well?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently test rode an S3 and an R3 SL. I was in the market for a road bike, and before the test ride, I expected I would prefer the S3 for its aero properties, as I may do some road racing. I actually was really considering the S2, but they didn't have it available for demo that day. I found the S3 to handle well, almost felt twitchy, was very fast, but a rougher ride than I would like. I then rode the R3 SL, and instantly loved it. Lacks the aero tubing of the S-series, but super comfortable while also light and stiff. I bought an R3 (non-SL, for the same reason I was considering the S2 over S3 - $$).

I didn't ride or consider an RS, because my understanding is that it is essentially the R3 with a taller headtube, for those who prefer or need a more upright riding position. That doesn't apply to me, so I didn't consider the RS, but I suspect it is a pretty comfy bike. The S1, to the contrary, is the aluminum version of the carbon S2 and S3 - wouldn't that mean a less comfortable bike? In any event, if you prefer a more upright position, consider the RS, otherwise, ride the R3. The S1 is a very nice bike, but I'd guess the least comfortable of all of these bikes over longer distances.
Quote Reply
Re: (S1 vs S2) or RS? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'6 and max out all my seat posts. My saddle height is 86 cm and I end up putting some spacers under my handle bars anyways. So I was thinking an RS would be a good choice where I could have no spacers and be in the same position. Plus it's cheaper!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're 6'6"? Well, then who am I to tell you what to do? ;)

Sounds like the RS might be a great fit for you - it's all about the fit. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
npearson,

I'm 6'6" as well, and have a 61cm S2. The seat post has plenty of unused length (there are 3 sizes of posts). It's been an amazing bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The head tube on the RS is higher than the headtube on the s1 or s2, so it may handle differently if you had the demo bikes set up differently. The S2 and R3 geometry are identical and in my experience from owning them both, they handle pretty much the same with the only real difference is the fact that you feel every piece of sand on the road with the S2 and not with the R3, which is a much more "dead" ride as far as road feel goes. The S1 is aluminum (i've had one of those too) and will be harsher than the R3 but maybe not as quite as harsh as the S2. On the other hand it is a TON more flexy in the BB than either S2 or R3. Out of those three bikes I'd take the R3 every time, but not sure how the RS compares...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't personally ridden any S-series bikes.

I do, however own an R3 that I use for training and racing. It's a misnomer to call it a comfort bike... it's definitely a race bike, and is one of the most popular amongst the local amateur racing crowd. It's very comfortable, but thanks to the massive BB and chainstays it's extremely stiff and climbs like a rocket (light weight helps too!). I'm totally comfortable on this bike in 45 mph descents. They are expensive, however. I bought my frame used and built it myself.
Quote Reply