Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
(Live Thread) StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread
Quote | Reply
Predictions?

I think Sam and Rudy will give Lionel a run for his money. I predict Sam will have a swim that demonstrates his pool fitness, and put down a bike/run to remember. StG has two good descents on the bike and I'm not sure anyone in tri can descend like Rudy and Sam, and Lionel and those two will crush the Snow Canyon climb. I think the run will be something to spectate between those three, and Kanute possibly making things interesting.

Live video coverage?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: May 1, 21 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much as I would like to see an American beat Lionel, it ain’t happening. Would love to be wrong though.

1. Lionel
2. Kanute
3. RVB

Sam is 4th or 5th.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My predictions, guaranteed to be wrong :)

Men:
1. Lionel
2. RVB
3. Matt Hanson
4. Ben Kanute
5. Ben Deal

Women:
1. Paula Findlay
2. Danielle Ryf (she's still racing right? I know she just did this big interview and everything)
3. Skye Moench
4. Holly Lawrence
5. Emma Pallant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim start is going to be an absolute shit show, which will likely punish weaker swimmers more than stronger. I don't think this is going to be the one where Sam shows he can swim. Also, this isn't descending like Nice. Someone may gain a few seconds from a Kienle tuck, but it's not technical enough to give Rudy a big advantage there.

That said:
1. Sanders
2. RVB
3. Kanute

1. Ryf
2. Lawrence
3. Findlay

Not very bold picks but hard to imagine the podium on the women's side as anything else. I want to say Skye would be there but Paula was close enough at Miami with her self professed mediocre fitness that I think she'll be back up there.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
My predictions, guaranteed to be wrong :)
Men:
1. Lionel
2. RVB
3. Matt Hanson
4. Ben Kanute
5. Ben Deal

LOL. I'm going to hope that my mention was the "guaranteed to be wrong" part. Currently giving myself 70/30 odds of even starting. Being 2 weeks removed from covid isn't all that helpful for my race. If I do start I'll probably just cruise at 90% of normal intensity and just be happy to be out there.

Last edited by: realbdeal: Apr 26, 21 17:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly everyone is forgetting about the race favorite Daniel Bækkegård!
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
LOL. I'm going to hope that my mention was the "guaranteed to be wrong" part. Currently giving myself 70/30 odds of even starting. Being 2 weeks removed from covid isn't all that helpful for my race. If I do start I'll probably just cruise at 90% of normal intensity and just be happy to be out there.

Nah, I know a guy, who know's a guy and they say he's gonna surprise some people. 😃
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Florian Angert, Maurice Clavel - both good swimmers and beasts on the bike.

There's a lot that can happen in the men's race...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Predictions?

I think Sam and Rudy will give Lionel a run for his money. I predict Sam will have a swim that demonstrates his pool fitness, and put down a bike/run to remember. StG has two good descents on the bike and I'm not sure anyone in tri can descend like Rudy and Sam, and Lionel and those two will crush the Snow Canyon climb. I think the run will be something to spectate between those three, and Kanute possibly making things interesting.

Live video coverage?

I'm not making predictions. But I'm excited to see who's in the top three when their running down the hill and I go by them on the way up :)

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm Canadian and there is no way I'd put Findlay over Ryf on a course like this.

Look at Ryf's historical performances on tough hilly courses. Dominating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lieferman top 5

Sanders, Rudy, Sam top 3 but don’t know which order

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice, i was about to start this thread!

tough call with predictions in a busy field. i've just liked sanders' fitness a lot lately, so i'm inclined to tip him. but the top 5 or even 10 could be fascinating and i assume we'll have a close race.

on the women's draw, i agree that ryf is hard to bet against - she's boring, but she always comes correct. i tip paula over holly, though; i think paula's form has been better, though in fairness i've not watched holly as closely. i'm not sure who else on the women's side would be breaking in alongside those 3, assuming they're all in shape.

some of the trirating predictions seem strange to me on this one, but what do i know?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take Cody Beals & Holly Lawrence

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody isn't on the start list so you may want to pick someone else :P

Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holly has biked absurdly well on the STG course in the past. I think it suits her.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:

I thought he packed up and flew to StG the other day, my bad

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:

at least my pick was on the start list :)
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
some of the trirating predictions seem strange to me on this one, but what do i know?

Interesting - which ones? I hope you're not talking about Lawrence, who beat the crap out of the field and smashed the course record last time this race happened :)

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trirating matches 100% my predictions:

Sanders
Ditlev
Appleton

Ryf
Lawrence
Findlay

With the lack of races this year, it's hard to know the form of a lot of athletes on the start list, but I'm pretty confident in these picks.
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditlev hasn't shown any ability to maintain his run yet. And he may be a little bit injured based on his Florida 70.3 race. No way he keeps it together better than RVB and Sam Long, among others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I know Ditlev is a gun cyclist. We'll see how he goes I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

Interesting - which ones? I hope you're not talking about Lawrence, who beat the crap out of the field and smashed the course record last time this race happened :)

no, their call on the women's draw is reasonable enough. daniela is . . . daniela. paula looked just remarkably in control at daytona, and holly's the course record holder. laura philip is really . . . interesting to me - i think she's due for a big breakthrough and if i were a betting man i might put $5 on her to show. much further down the podium a few choices seem off - naeth in 20th? corbin in 17th?

on the men's side, a few stick out:
-ditlev. strong like bull, but i just haven't seen him execute and dial in pacing, nutrition, strategy, and so on. and an imbalanced run will get punished on this course. fast on paper, i think, but not yet in practice.
-matt hanson. should surely finish better than 10th if he's healthy - especially, again, considering recent form.
-eric lagerstrom: surely should finish better than 31st - guy was 19th at world's in a much more stacked field.

von berg and appleton are question marks for me - will be curious to see how they go. ditto jackson laundry - don't know if this is his kind of course, but i feel like he's due a big race.

it's weird for a northern-hemisphere pro to peak for a 'worlds' type of effort in april. in the old days i might've tipped a guy like bevan docherty to come over at the end of his summer and wring out some late-season speed and sharpness.

finally - my feeling about lionel is partly his fitness, which seems quite good (the hour record, improved swimming, some run PBs). but as much as that it's that his approach is seeming much more measured and rational, he's taking better advice, nailing gear and nutrition, and lately his racing has looked pretty dangerous. he's doing exactly what he needs to win, doing it in pretty economical ways, digging really deep when he has to (and going toe-to-toe with some crazy performances when he does) and that suggests good things coming, to me. that, and he took the course record from brownlee. i mean . . . come on.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st: Lionel (too strong)
2nd: RVB (compare this race to his performance at worlds in Nice on a tough course)
3-5: a mix of Sam Appleton, Sam Long, Ben Kanute
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
1st: Lionel (too strong)
2nd: RVB (compare this race to his performance at worlds in Nice on a tough course)
3-5: a mix of Sam Appleton, Sam Long, Ben Kanute

reasoning for why I put Sam as #1:

- he swam with Lionel at Daytona and is swimming much better now.
- he thought he was with the 2nd pack in TX and it felt easy. Had he not made that easy mistake, he would have swum 2min faster. He won't make that mistake at StG. (I can swim 24-26 for a 70.3 swim and Sam kicks my butt in the pool)
- His bike/run were faster than Lionel at TX
- His bike at TX was superhuman. If he doesn't have to make up 2.5min on the bike, he can unleash one hell of a run.
- think about that. He made up 2.5min on Lionel on the bike and still ran a 1:11 and that was a tired run.

I think this will be one of the last times the Slowtwitch crowd bets against Sam. Soon, he'll be hard to bet against.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite simply, this one could be for the bikers, and Samuel Long a biker definitely is. He's also race-ready, dropped his off-season rust weeks ago and maybe shed the fatigue as well. He's not the only biker in the field, but one of the few who can run (*cough* Dreitz *cough* Ditlev *cough*). The field will be much easier to chase down after the swim than in Texas, even though it's a stronger field.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Apr 27, 21 11:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next