Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'FORM' style glasses for run/bike
Quote | Reply
https://us.engoeyewear.com/products/engo-2

a bit more pricey than form. But I bet form can adapt their tech much easier and sell a competing pair for cheaper
Quote Reply
Re: 'FORM' style glasses for run/bike [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FORM makes sense because you cant check your watch while swimming.

For running, you can easily check your watch.

For biking, you can easily check your computer.

I'm not sure why anyone would use these over a watch/computer for run/bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ReconJet we’re the last company to try this that i remember (off the back of the Google Glass hype), seem to recall Tim Don being sponsored or at least raced in them once or twice.

https://www.engadget.com/...econ-jet-review.html

EDIT: and this thing from Garmin https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/530536
Last edited by: inkbbl: Nov 29, 22 1:28
Quote Reply
Re: 'FORM' style glasses for run/bike [inkbbl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The creator of Form goggles was one of the co founders of Recon

https://eu.formswim.com/pages/our-story
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
https://us.engoeyewear.com/products/engo-2

a bit more pricey than form. But I bet form can adapt their tech much easier and sell a competing pair for cheaper

Publicly available from tomorrow on their website.

I saw them via 5krunner review.

I’ve all for trying new stuff so, looking forward to getting mine when they ship.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must be missing something because this seems like a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.
Quote Reply
Re: 'FORM' style glasses for run/bike [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:
I must be missing something because this seems like a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

I would be interested in this. I hate taking my eyes off the road, even for a second. Making it worse for us getting-oldsters is that after age 40, more and more people suffer from loss of near vision, which even with bifocal contacts, is still hard to glance downwards and see the numbers on my computer if I'm moving fast. I'd also love to have the Varia radar integrated into glasses - that would be awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:
It depends!
Could see something like this being really useful for aero testing.
Quote Reply
Re: 'FORM' style glasses for run/bike [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
matate99 wrote:

I would be interested in this. I hate taking my eyes off the road, even for a second. Making it worse for us getting-oldsters is that after age 40, more and more people suffer from loss of near vision, which even with bifocal contacts, is still hard to glance downwards and see the numbers on my computer if I'm moving fast. I'd also love to have the Varia radar integrated into glasses - that would be awesome.

And that’s what I was missing. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:
lightheir wrote:
matate99 wrote:

And that’s what I was missing. Thanks.

It sucks - I had no idea it was so common after age 40. I think all my 45-55 colleagues at work have this problem and use bifocals/progressives as a result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:

my run already terrible run form gets worse when I have to put the watch up to my face to see the tiny numbers...every minute. so much i gave up looking at my watch for most races till the final 200m
Last edited by: synthetic: Dec 4, 22 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: 'FORM' style glasses for run/bike [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It sucks - I had no idea it was so common after age 40. I think all my 45-55 colleagues at work have this problem and use bifocals/progressives as a result.

Yup. It's as real as real gets, and hits most of us eventually. A couple of years into my 50's, I suddenly just couldn't see the display on the small GPS units I favored up until then, and the progressives I wear most of the time just aren't an option on the bike. Seemed to happen pretty much overnight.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:

As others above have said its the old eyes! I'm only 43 and need glasses/contacts for short sightedness but the last 2 years my close up vision has started to go, and I'm finding having contacts in, I have difficulty reading my Garmin (even with just 3 fields) - look a right idiot running while holding out my arm at distance to see it.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: 'FORM' style glasses for run/bike [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:
matate99 wrote:

It depends!
Could see something like this being really useful for aero testing.

I tried a previous incarnation of such a product. PITA with visor helmets
Quote Reply
Re: 'FORM' style glasses for run/bike [SpencerR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpencerR wrote:
FORM makes sense because you cant check your watch while swimming.

For running, you can easily check your watch.

For biking, you can easily check your computer.

I'm not sure why anyone would use these over a watch/computer for run/bike.

Bumping this old thread because I work for ENGO, and maybe I can shed some light on how this works and why we made it.

Running: The dirty secret of running watches is that you need to slow down to read them - if you can read them at all (as others have noted). Compulsively checking your watch to make sure you're on pace adds up to a lot of time. If your game is about managing pace, it's great to have pace in your natural field of view. No more anxiety / constantly checking your watch. Anyone with a reverse split / fast-finish marathon or tri strategy will benefit from ENGO. If you do ultras or like to explore, ENGO will keep your key metrics in your field of view, and enable you to use the full Garmin display for navigation. Setup a primary/secondary display configuration - no need to press buttons and attempt to control the device while maintaining pace. And then, consider the merit of realtime data: With the Apple Watch, you can view running dynamics in realtime - vertical oscillation, stride, etc. So you can adjust your mechanics in realtime, and feel the change in realtime. This isn't possible without ENGO.

Cycling: Good points have been made re: safety and legibility. There was also a point re: Aero testing. It's a thing - drop your head to check the computer and lose watts, lose aero, lose time. Like running, with ENGO it's possible to setup a primary/secondary display config. This is really nice for Strava, e.g., view your power, HR, cadence in the ENGO display - and make Strava or Nav LARGER on the Garmin display. Strava info does not display in ENGO because Garmin and Strava do not make this data available to 3rd parties (yet). But you can setup your own custom dashboard to make using the data easier. Live segments are easier to read when they have more real estate, for example. I know this community is all about tri, but there are probably a few members here who look at events like Leadville or BWR, who can benefit from prioritizing and segmenting data types to focus on their goals and however they prefer to manage effort. I wouldn't drive a car if the dashboard was the size of a Garmin and mounted at the bottom of my steering wheel - but that's what cyclists presently accept.

Not sure why anyone would use this over a watch or computer? Actually, you NEED a watch or computer to use this. It's just a display. It relies on the sensors and data from a device you already own - presently, that means a Garmin watch / computer, or an Apple Watch (it's great with the Ultra).

Why does it cost more than Form? Much more expensive display. ENGO is the lightest "HUD" type product by far at 36g, which is about the same as some Oakleys (etc) without a display, battery, wireless chip, and processor. 12h battery life - so plenty for competition. And $329 is much less than Recon, Solos, or Garmin's Varia HUD. All of those products were significantly heavier, with shorter battery life, and much more expensive.

Where Form uses a relatively large (and less expensive) display to ensure you can read it while swimming (while you're not looking at anything else), ENGO uses a much smaller micro display with higher res and probably higher brightness (not sure) to achieve good contrast in a range of ambient light conditions. The premise is the same: Athletes benefit from realtime data. Unlike Form, ENGO does not provide coaching or structured content - because there are already a bunch of apps that do this well for running and cycling.

If you can find a lighter, brighter HUD for sports, with better battery life, at a lower cost, you should buy it!

I'm not here all the time, but I will check back and will gladly try to answer any Qs. We built the product for tri and endurance sports - if there's a community that can put realtime data to use for marginal gains, it's this one.

The reason why HUDs are mainly used in an aviation or military context is because pilots and soldiers need realtime situational awareness and a hands-free UX. Not that different than elite athletes when you think about it.

Final comment: ENGO has a 30-day return policy. If it's not for you, return it. We know it's not for everyone. There will be some techies and early adopters who simply need to have it. But the people who will benefit the most are the ones who know what to do with the data that they choose to display to achieve a goal. Going for Sub 3? Sub 2.5? This might just help you get there. If you're already comfortable playing with Garmin data fields, you'll probably put ENGO to good use in no time.

Super appreciate the comments and feedback here. This is new, and we are still fully learning utility and benefits from people who are first experiencing it and putting it to work. We're also learning where we need to improve, and look forward to applying feedback to whatever we do next.

Thanks for reading!
Quote Reply