Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'14 Speedconcept Question: Anyone create a dropped armpad bracket?
Quote | Reply
Edit: OK, switching my thread. Received the answer I needed, and should now ask a new question - has anyone created an armpad bracket for the s'14 Speed Concept that drops down closer to the base bar? I'm wanting to create a 3cm drop from where it currently is. I have someone who can make this, but first want to make sure it doesn't already exist and/or to see if anyone else has tried this. Specifically talking about this piece:

Original post:
I mailed my bike out today and forgot to take a measurement. Looking at the image below, in this lowest setting as seen below (but with the wedge/tilt kit - can't tell if it is being used in the below image), what is the distance between the armrest 'bar' (from the middle of the little bontrager "b" in the image below) to the top of the base bar?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: May 1, 18 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using my tool http://www.obstri.com/fit I would say 2.8cm

Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [obsessedironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! That's a great tool. If anyone has a physical measurement, I'm now really interested in comparing your virtual measurement to the physical measurement, just for kicks. much appreciated

Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that mono extension right on the base bar? No spacer? I didn’t know this was an option
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't even know that spacer was an option!
Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [Insilvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insilvis wrote:
Is that mono extension right on the base bar? No spacer? I didn’t know this was an option
Is that because it’s using the plug-in and not the mono extension?
Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [Insilvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insilvis wrote:

There has to be a monospacer on there. Probably 15 mm monospacer, its just hard to see. The front end of the bike would fall apart without that monospacer as the 3 screws that mount underneath the stem and basebar, fasten to the monospacer.

I believe the spacer being discussed is the 5 mm spacer under the pad wing which is completely optional.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I mailed my bike out today and forgot to take a measurement. Looking at the image below, in this lowest setting as seen below (but with the wedge/tilt kit - can't tell if it is being used in the below image), what is the distance between the armrest 'bar' (from the middle of the little bontrager "b" in the image below) to the top of the base bar?

I have the same mono spacer as you, and I'm coming up with 35 mm for that measurement. I have the regular mono extension, not the plug in, but I'd think that the thickness of the mono extension is the same. I do have the tilt cradle installed, if you mounted the mono extension flat on the mono spacer, then you'd take about 5 mm off that measurement.

Looks like you have a couple of angled shims under the arm pads? That's an interesting idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

I have the same mono spacer as you, and I'm coming up with 35 mm for that measurement. I have the regular mono extension, not the plug in, but I'd think that the thickness of the mono extension is the same. I do have the tilt cradle installed, if you mounted the mono extension flat on the mono spacer, then you'd take about 5 mm off that measurement.

Looks like you have a couple of angled shims under the arm pads? That's an interesting idea.

Thank you - this information is exactly what I was looking for.

The photo is from online of Dick Bockel's set up. And, looking closer, it looks like he may be doing something different than yours and my set ups: mounting the monobar directly to the basebar (I agree with SteveJ that you need it for the under-base-bar bolts to attach to)? Or at least without the tilt cradle. I have the lowest mono spacer and tilt kit, like you. And yes, the plug and plat mono piece is the same height as the other mono extensions. I have tried going without the tilt cradle and found the bolts would loosen a tad while riding - the photo below of my set up w/out the tilt cradle, but I've been using the title cradle the past year.

So, for transparency, here's what I'm debating: I need to get my armpads lower while leaving my extensions higher. I can a) create a new armpad bracket that curves down to get the pads 3cm lower. Or, I can mold a mount (female end to armpad cradle bolts) directly to the basebar for the armpads to bolt into, so I can still remove the armpads and move them around (bolt mount would be at 10 degree tilt). The first option seems more reasonable. The second option is cool.... and I'd like to be that low. Thoughts?

Last edited by: milesthedog: May 1, 18 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: '14 Speedconcept Question: Anyone create a dropped armpad bracket? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edited post with new question

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

Thank you - this information is exactly what I was looking for.

The photo is from online of Dick Bockel's set up. And, looking closer, it looks like he may be doing something different than yours and my set ups: mounting the monobar directly to the basebar (I agree with SteveJ that you need it for the under-base-bar bolts to attach to)? Or at least without the tilt cradle. I have the lowest mono spacer and tilt kit, like you. And yes, the plug and plat mono piece is the same height as the other mono extensions. I have tried going without the tilt cradle and found the bolts would loosen a tad while riding - the photo below of my set up w/out the tilt cradle, but I've been using the title cradle the past year.

So, for transparency, here's what I'm debating: I need to get my armpads lower while leaving my extensions higher. I can a) create a new armpad bracket that curves down to get the pads 3cm lower. Or, I can mold a mount (female end to armpad cradle bolts) directly to the basebar for the armpads to bolt into, so I can still remove the armpads and move them around (bolt mount would be at 10 degree tilt). The first option seems more reasonable. The second option is cool.... and I'd like to be that low. Thoughts?

Well, I'm not very clear on how you're going to mount the armpads to the basebar, but if you make a dropped armpad bracket it's going to be almost on top of the basebar anyway, so that would be the more elegant solution if you can make it work. I had actually considered fabricating a new armpad bracket to get lower, but once I got the bike set up I found out I didn't actually need it.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I think that bracket option would be the best. The direct mount would be a custom carbon/epoxy job

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Agreed, I think that bracket option would be the best. The direct mount would be a custom carbon/epoxy job

Sounds pretty cool, you should post here when you get it done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will do.

Also removing FD hanger.

And, the main reason for sending the bike out: the seatpost clamp block that the bolt threads into pulled out on one side. I tried to re epoxy it in, but that did not work... so, will most likely bond carbon seatpost in frame, cut post, make custom adjustable carbon sleeve topper, mold the removable aluminum speed concept saddle clamp into the top of the topper. Will post when done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn that’s low! Chop shop Speed Concept! I like that you’re not scared to make the bike what you need it to be. So many people treat these bikes as museum show pieces and moan that they aren’t what they want...kudos. Hope it works out !
Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigertater wrote:
Damn that’s low! Chop shop Speed Concept! I like that you’re not scared to make the bike what you need it to be. So many people treat these bikes as museum show pieces and moan that they aren’t what they want...kudos. Hope it works out !

Thanks! The good think about the custom armpad bracket approach is that I can go back to the original bracket and nothing is permanent. As for the seatpost clamp, the only other option is to take Trek up on the not so great of a deal for a warranty frame. Yes, this may seem really low, but I have longer than average arms, so when you factor that in, the relationship between my shoulders to hips height is not extreme. Like with my road bike, when people had seen my 25deg stem, they thought I'd be slammed, but then when they've seen me riding, the realize I'm actually kind of sitting up... so have been eyeing bikes with low front ends for future bikes, that are also long enough. anyways.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the process on the warranty frame? Did you purchase bike originally new? Is that a requirement? I bought my SC second hand, and wonder if I have the dam rights should something arise...
Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigertater wrote:
What’s the process on the warranty frame? Did you purchase bike originally new? Is that a requirement? I bought my SC second hand, and wonder if I have the dam rights should something arise...

Bought it second hand so didn't expect anything. The bike shop kindly let me know that Trek would let me purchase a new frame a discounted rate. That's commendable and good on Trek. But, I'm just personally not interested, but that doesn't say anything about Trek providing assistance for faulty second hand frames. As for the defect, a friend of mine had the same exact issue with his Speed Concept, but Trek told me they had never heard of it happening before.... maybe that's beside the point, but also possibly helpful information for others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigertater wrote:

Trek has a Lifetime warranty on the frame to the Original Owner, there is no warranty to 2nd hand owners. On warranties, that is very common to get no warranty when buying 2nd hand. I am sure there might be a company the warranties 2nd hand, but have not heard of one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever create the dropped pad holder? I’m asking as I am on a size 50 speed concept and it’s still a bit too tall for me even with everything set as low as it will go.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This from Wattshop could be an option: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsIlxKql6iN/
Quote Reply
Re: Speedconcept Owner Question: quick measurement needed [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a chap in the UK, Liam Maybank who did this and has some extras to sell.

Quote Reply