Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

🤯 Does using Normatec boots and other similar recovery tools penalize your ROI in your training?
Quote | Reply
I’ve been listening to TrainerRoad podcast and in it (not sure exactly which one, sorry there are hundreds of hours) they mentioned recovery tools like the Normatec boots, ice baths, power dots, massages and such “cripples” (for lack of a better term) the adaptation process and as a return, diminishing the return of investment from your training.

Which begs the question then, in which scenario should you use them?

Both Normatec and Power Dots advice you should use them as recoveries within a few hours (2-4 if I remember correctly) from your workout, going completely against what the podcast mentioned.

Is it wrong to asume then, that one should only rely on them when you care more about recovering to perform the next day (cyclists racing? NBA players?) rather than absorbing the training you’re doing?

Or maybe the idea is to use them on the easy weeks of your training blocks right after the heaviest days?

I’m confused. School me.
Quote Reply
Re: 🤯 Does using Normatec boots and other similar recovery tools penalize your ROI in your training? [teixido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boots no, they wouldn’t.
But then they are a complete waste of money when you could just go for a walk instead

Ice baths yes. Avoid those after hard training
Quote Reply
Re: 🤯 Does using Normatec boots and other similar recovery tools penalize your ROI in your training? [teixido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took a different message from the TR podcast: Training produces stress/damage, the immune system is activated to repair such stress/damage aka the immune system triggers adaptation, inflammation is an indicator of such stress/damage, and thus avoid treatments (e.g. ice baths, ibuprofen) that reduce inflammation in order to preserve adaptation, UNLESS you are more focused on recovery (e.g. you are in the middle of a 3-day stage race) and place a premium on being recovered the next day (recovery) vs. building fitness (adaptation).

Ice baths/ibuprofen are designed to reduce inflammation, which in turn would hinder adaptation. But boots are not focused on reducing inflammation, instead they are designed to increase fluid flow and provide an assist to the lymphatic system, with the aim to assist in adaptation. Now whether boots actually make good on this promise is another story, but I think it's fair to draw a distinction between ice/ibuprofen and boots.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: 🤯 Does using Normatec boots and other similar recovery tools penalize your ROI in your training? [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Boots no, they wouldn’t.
But then they are a complete waste of money when you could just go for a walk instead

Ice baths yes. Avoid those after hard training

If my $300 AirRelax boots work just as fine as taking a walk, I'd rather put the boots on; the feel awesome, and I can just chill with them on while I watch Netflix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Compex even on light mode programs TOO long and it totally sapped my legs for the next day's race. Just like an easy massage mode even--I now would only use it post race but only after soreness subsides some. I'm better off with a protein shake and stretching or easy walk. I don't have Norma Tec boots so can't comment on those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

what about a hot bath or sauna?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teixido wrote:
I’ve been listening to TrainerRoad podcast and in it (not sure exactly which one, sorry there are hundreds of hours) they mentioned recovery tools like the Normatec boots, ice baths, power dots, massages and such “cripples” (for lack of a better term) the adaptation process and as a return, diminishing the return of investment from your training.

Which begs the question then, in which scenario should you use them?

Both Normatec and Power Dots advice you should use them as recoveries within a few hours (2-4 if I remember correctly) from your workout, going completely against what the podcast mentioned.

Is it wrong to asume then, that one should only rely on them when you care more about recovering to perform the next day (cyclists racing? NBA players?) rather than absorbing the training you’re doing?

Or maybe the idea is to use them on the easy weeks of your training blocks right after the heaviest days?

I’m confused. School me.

I am huge fan of walks but couldn't you make the same argument regarding recovery or even spinning? You are essentially moving blood around the body and using the muscles to help the lymphatic system. At the end of the day there is some positive science on compression boots and maybe there will be more in the future but it is pretty passive experience that is quite enjoyable compared to many much more laborious recovery methods.

I have used boots in many different ways from post-workout, to pre-workout, to a sort of pseudo-mediation while listening to calming music, to even helping me poop before a race. Maybe the science will prove us wrong at some point but the bottom line is I look forward to boot time before bed as I wind down for the night. If it is really slowing down the progression of development and adaption thru training then so be it, but I don't see a lot of professional athletes jumping of the bandwagon, they love them.

Give them a shot for 30 days, in the case of Speed Hound 45 days with their love-them guarantee. Unfortunately they are sold out until Mid-November.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 🤯 Does using Normatec boots and other similar recovery tools penalize your ROI in your training? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VN just had a good discussion on this topic. I haven't seen the data, but their take was compression did not impair training adaptation, but ice baths and antioxidants did. FWIW I'm shopping for boots now, like the speedhound price for sure.

https://www.velonews.com/...eorge-bennett_500181

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any training fatigue you have to "shed" through other means besides normal recovery is training not absorbed. Boots, ibuprophen, electrostim, those stupid headphones, etc.

There's a time and a place for excess fatigue, but not as a lifestyle.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It comes down to what your limiters are. If you are someone with a lot of time to train (ex.pro) then the value of being more recovered for the next workout (and the ability to absorb more training) probably outweighs the slightly decreased adaptation from the previous workout from using the boots. For most of us, the limiter on the next workout is time. If you have a job, kids, etc.; then the length/intensity of tomorrow's workout is probably more dictated by those factors. Speaking personally, I only use recovery aids post race (or some rare epic workout) where better recovery is probably the difference between me doing a light workout the next day vs. just sitting on the couch reading Slowtwitch*.

*typing this as I'm trying to motivate myself to hop on the bike

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply