Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

“Optimal Tire Size” - HED disc
Quote | Reply
I live and mostly race in Michigan. Lots of suboptimal roads. I went with 28mm GP5ks on Vanquish 6 wheels this summer and really enjoyed the experience. HED said 28 was the optimal size.

I just got a Vanquish rear disc. HED says 25 is optimal for it. 25s are cheaper and easier to source, so that’s cool.

However, if I’m running a 28 up front, is it an aerodynamic penalty to do 25 in the back? I also wonder about comfort, but my taint was able to handle 23s recently enough, so I should HTFU there.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: “Optimal Tire Size” - HED disc [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

However, if I’m running a 28 up front, is it an aerodynamic penalty to do 25 in the back?

I very much doubt it. Probably a very marginal benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually surprised they recommend 25s on that. The external width is 30.6mm and the internal is 21mm, so I wouldn't expect 28mm tyres to balloon much.

At any rate extremely marginal to no penalty running 25s in the back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From an aerodynamic perspective, the tire you run in the back has no dependency on the one you run up front.

Also remember that the wheel performance is highly impacted by all that happens to the air before it reaches the wheel. A disc is typically tucked behind a curved seat tube, and the airflow has been disrupted by other tubes, the drivetrain, legs, etc. As a result, rear discs are less sensitive to tire width than other wheels. This is especially true of a rear disc, since any airflow separation at the front will always have a chance to rejoin along the length of the disc. The performance difference between a 25 and a 28 is probably negligible.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by BigBoyND [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by turdburgler [ In reply to ]
Re: “Optimal Tire Size” - HED disc [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, just noticed we are talking Vanquish disk, not Jet disc. What I had posted was about Jet, so don't mind me.

It is a bit odd to recommend 25 on some of the wheels and 28 on others given they have the same widths, but I would trust HED did their homework. Given it's in the rear, though, 28 shouldn't hurt.

Also important to note that the aero chart is for GP4k, so the sizing recommendations may be based on that tire. Given the GP5k is smaller, I would go with 28 front and rear
Quote Reply
Re: “Optimal Tire Size” - HED disc [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the info!

Sounds like minimal difference, so I’ll likely go 28s for the slight comfort advantage. A happy taint is a fast taint, right?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: “Optimal Tire Size” - HED disc [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mounted the 28 and it sure passes the “eyeball aero” test.

My Wheelbuilder rear cover had stickers that fit over the valve opening. Do people commonly tape discs like the Vanquish up, or leave it open?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, taping over the valve opening is pretty standard. You can buy some Zipp "stickers" that are pretty nice (below from Daytona), or just go with heavy grade 3M packing tape (cheap and doesn't leave residue).

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jan 8, 21 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: “Optimal Tire Size” - HED disc [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine how much better Paula could have done if she put her feet inside the shoes 😂

Thanks for the 3M tip. I would use electrical tape on my Wheelbuilder stickers. I still have some, so I might just use that combo, but with 3M tape.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I always keep a roll in my transition bag. It also ends up being useful for attaching bike numbers, and helmet numbers (stick the number on the tape and then the tape to the helmet...easy to remove post race).

Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jan 8, 21 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty sure I tested covered and not covered for the valve cover and there was no gain by taping or covering it

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: “Optimal Tire Size” - HED disc [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - thanks!

I'll probably start a bidding war for corporations to put their logo on my valve cover. That new GM logo would look nice... While my agents are sorting that out I'll ride coverless without fear.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC Flo has windtunnel data of a test with and without valve hole cover on their site somewhere. I think it was around 1W difference.

I would personally cover it just to avoid getting water, dirt, etc. inside the wheel. A piece of black gaffa tape work fine and looks clean.
Quote Reply
Re: “Optimal Tire Size” - HED disc [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Yes, taping over the valve opening is pretty standard. You can buy some Zipp "stickers" that are pretty nice (below from Daytona), or just go with heavy grade 3M packing tape (cheap and doesn't leave residue).

I wonder how much time you're losing running the 858 backwards. She could also learn to orient the front skewers better.
Quote Reply