Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

??? for doctors --- high ankle sprain
Quote | Reply
ok dont post much but I have a question So three months ago I suffered a high ankle sprain. It was bad enough that the doc sent me to the hospital to get an xray which showed that I didnt fracture it.

So now three months later I still cant run without pain/limping and the ankle still randomly swells and achs... although I can walk around normally. I went back to the doc who said that there was still fluid in my ankle which isnt normal for this long after the injury. Long story short he think I might have chiped my cartalige and is sending me to an orthopedic doc who he said might give me an MRI.

Does this sound right?? How serious an injury would this be?? Any docs out there care to explain what my doc will be looking for??

Thanks guys
Quote Reply
Re: ??? for doctors --- high ankle sprain [DanTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan:

A high sprain can still be swollen 3 months down the road, but the ankle joint itself should probably not be. It can can also cause your running symptoms - some sprains are symptomatic for a long time.

An MRI looking for damage to the cartilage of the talus sounds reasonable. A repeat plain xray to make sure that the ankle still fits together right would not be a bad idea either. A "high sprain" involves the ligaments that join the tibia to the fibula, and can spread the ankle bones apart.

If these are OK, and you haven't done it already, a good physio is your friend.

Deke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I agree with Deke - ankle joint diastasis is often missed on plain film X-rays, especially since most are not taken weight bearing. An osteochondral defect would be unusual with a "high ankle sprain"

Lastly, I've seen quite a few Peroneal tendon injuries misdiagnosed after an ankle sprain as well. Make sure your likely MRI is read by a good musculoskeletal radiologist. General hospital radiologists are fair to middlin with subtle tendon pathologies.

Re: ??? for doctors --- high ankle sprain [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it sounds like its a toss up in the air about if its still just a sprain or something more serious.

rroof you must excuse my ignorance but you lost me with some of the medical descriptions of possible injuries.

As far as who im seeing I have an apt with an orthopedic surgeon in the city named Bazos who seems to specialize at least in part in sports injuries, so i think thats good.

thnx for the help

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: ??? for doctors --- high ankle sprain [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I got an apt. with the orthopedic doc. this week but in the mean time have been doing some research of the possibile injuries. You ever heard of osteochondritis dissecans. Reading Web MD it made it sound like a likely possibility :

If a sprain does not appear to be healing, a condition known as osteochondritis dissecans may be present, causing persistent symptoms.

I know that you cant depend on the internet to figure out whats wrong but i figured the more I know the better.

Thanks

Daniel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that uncommon for a true high ankle sprain to take several months to heal. I usually tell patients that they can expect pain and discomfort for up to 6 months following a high ankle sprain. Agree with Deke and rroof about getting the second x-ray and MRI. I know it's frustrating, but this may be something that just takes more time to heal. Oh yeah, if you haven't gotten yourself to physical therapy yet...run don't walk...errr...on second thought, just get to PT sooner rather than later

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a high ankle sprain (and a mortons neuroma on the same side which i can manage). Had the sprain about 4 months and just started running easy every other day(few twinges when i run but nothing distressing), bit sore after when i'm sat at work, i do ice it in a bucket as soon as i get in office. Doing balancing and band strengthening and calf raises too. Anyway when u returned to running did the soreness stick around for a long time? Just trying to get a real answer from someone who has actually experienced this annoying injury. Please answer, actual experiences are very valuable to my recovery mindset.
Quote Reply