Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Best" Shorty Bar Options
Quote | Reply
Due to financial constraints (I can only afford 1 bike right now) I will be riding a traditional road race bike setup in my tri's this coming season. I am considering putting some shorty aero bars on it, mostly just to give myself the option of getting my weight off my hands in long, flat sections. However, Slowman's newest article (quite a nice explanation, by the way) indicates that there are not any really good shorty bar options out there. I would love to hear a more in depth explanation of what would make a superior shorty bar and what existing options would be the "best" choices in an imperfect world.

Re: "Best" Shorty Bar Options [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Due to time and interest constaints I will not give a big long answer.

The Vision Mini TT clip on is a great tool for the task.

It has the lowest stack height possible, it is very short reach (so you end up with a fairly good upper arm extension).

The Profile T2 DL is good IF you configure the extensions from under the bar, otherwise it is too high. The DL can give more forearm comfort than the Vision (if that is a consideration) due to it's ability to place the arm pads behind the base bar.

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get a flippable seatpost and an adjustable stem.

then get some regular aerobars.

if you still insist on getting some shorty bars, get some hed fliplites with lazy bends and cut down the extensions a lot. that way, you can flip the elbow pads up when you're grinding up a hill.
Quote Reply
Re: "Best" Shorty Bar Options [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, what you said.

HED flip-lites with Lazy S-Bends and cut them way down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like the oval stem faceplate where the extensions are clamped underneath the bar. then cut the extensions short. if you have a flat topped bar theres really no need for arm rests
if youre unwilling to get a new stem the vision bars mentioned earlier are solid too, the flat bridge is great for resting your palms on, super comfortable

sorry if that doesnt make sense im a few beers deep already
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tegra and BMAN are spot on - get a post like a Thompson Elite Set Back and spin it 'round so it's "set forward" and then a tri saddle (san marco zoncolan tri). Then put a set of Profile T2+ clip-ons on the bike but mount them under the road bar rather than atop the bar (you'll have to jack up the arm pad just a bit with double plastic spacers and some longer bolts.

In the end you'll have a perfect road bike and a 96% perfect tri bike that can convert back and forth with usually one tool (5mm allen) and ~2 minutes.

Ian

PS. the only horror is that you have a bike with a proprietary post tube, some bikes (cervelo soloist and look) have oem posts that can go forward but the best bet is if you're running a standard, round 2.72 post and with comes good freedom.

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat as you until I can talk my wife into letting me buy a tri specific bike. Keep the ideas coming.
Quote Reply
Re: "Best" Shorty Bar Options Pictures? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a photo of the Hed Flip Lytes mounted on their road bike? I have some on the way with the Lazy S-Bend. Thanks.
Quote Reply