Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$ after the big $equipment is bought
Quote | Reply
does it seem to anyone else that even after the big ticket items are bought, that racing and training pretty much cost as much as or more than getting into the sport. I'm not complaining as much as wondering if I'm alone on this. with all the big gear bought my wife and I still spend at least 5K year on races and on the lesser items needed. Does that sound about right?
Quote Reply
Re: $ after the big $equipment is bought [d.j.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds cheap to me...hell just yesterday was new Record Chainrings, Chains, Cogs, and food...$400.00+

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 No way am I spending that much! My wife and I both race and I'd say we spend $1000 - $1,500 a season without big purchases. That's figuring in 7 races each at 50-60 bucks a pop. Hotels and gas for two out of town races. Nutrition goodies, bike repairs and perhaps a garment or two.

You must be traveling alot to spend that kind of money. I suppose we're lucky to have so many races within an hour of home.
Quote Reply
Re: $ after the big $equipment is bought [Charlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe I am nuts - but when I add up my costs I try to include my training fluids (that is more than beer!), GU (.99 cents each - I use about 50+ a month), EAS nutrition stuff, Power Bars (and the like)...I mean, it goes on and on $80.00 for the YMCA a month (with my own private locker and laundry service)...it just does not stop. Tires, tubes, chains, cogs, bar wrap....bottle after bottle after bottle. Clothing....jeesh...I am getting sick now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well one person seem to think I'm getting off cheap another thinks I'm on the high end

I guess the silent majority would probably call our expenses about right.

gym dues alone 109 a month, it's a good gym giant rock wall, swimmng pool ect. year of running shoes is almost $1000.00 year with our club discounts. a month worth of hammer gel products is about $100.00. bike tune ups, tires, tubes, CO2 deals at least $500.00.

lake placid and wildflower are our out of state deals. even with out those we're still up there. But I have friends that spend more on Fishing and Golf Vacations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I was living in my blissful ignorance, and then you have to go and make me think about how much it's costing me to have my a$$ handed to me in this sport! I got to $1200/year for Endurox and Clif bars, and had to stop there- otherwise I'd feel waaaaay too guilty to accept the new Renn disc that my wife's going to buy me for my birthday. Entry fees, hotels, running shoes, tubes/tires..... and I thought golf was expensive.
Quote Reply
It never ends! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to side with the "It never ends!" crew. Performance Bike practically sends me birthday cards. I probably spend a grand/year with them for clothes, parts, Endurox, etc.

I upgraded my crappy mountain bike to a decent bike last year, only to find that I have to spend about $300/year to replace tires, chains, chainrings, cassette.... or it runs like crap.

My road bike is only 6 months old, so nothing has broken...yet. But it will.

Oh, and sneakers. 3-4 pairs/year at $85/pair.

And this is my first year doing tri's, so trisports and sportsbasement should be inviting me to their Christmas parties.(wertsuit, trishorts, etc)

When you look at your credit card bill at the end of the month, it should be perfectly clear why most of the people who do this are finance or computer geeks, some other kind of white collar professional(I'm a computer geek in finance, so I'm not dissin').

That guy who spends $1,000/year and his wife races too, he must have adamantium bike parts, because my experience is that the 'better' parts wear out much faster than the cheap parts.

Let's be honest: Given equivalent operational quality, wouldn't you rather have a $20 steel chainring that will last forever than one that costs $100, and needs replacement every season, but weighs 30 grams less?

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: It never ends! [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here! It definitely never ends.

Between coaching fees, race entries, travel, clothes, food, bike stuff, running shoes, swimsuits, blah-de-blah-blah............

I started to figure it up once and quit when I got over $6000 and scared myself!

Have to say it's definitely worth it though.........no question about it!

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
then you get into another discipling of racing and its really nuts, I switched from MTB to Tri/Du to TT in a span of 3 years.
Quote Reply
Re: It never ends! [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont spend that much on racing because I cant afford to. But I've found I can still enjoy the sport and be competitive without breaking the bank.

I keep my bike in good shape, buy tires and tubes when I need them - but I often deny myself extra goodies, I just cannot afford it. I spent 2k on my bike 2 seasons ago. I'm sure I could go another two seasons on it.

I dont spend much on foodstufs.. 20 bucks a month on a box of carbooms.

A big bulk can of gatorade from Sam's Club = 8 bucks.

Of course I'm not racing any IM's (this year) and our local races are pretty cheap and nearby.

I'd spend the money if I had it. But you dont have to go broke to do this sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn the art of landing schwag. I ain't giving away my secrets, but learning how to deal with individuals and batering a saleable skill (illegal things not advocated here) can help you out a bunch.

I have not budgeted my spending, but being able to buy in bulk helps in the food, tyre, glue, and other things department. And don't neglect the car-pooling thing. This is the only way I like car racks for the bike. Also, buying things from a dealer and negotiating the cost (especially in the special orders- no overhead for them) can cut your spending costs. Sending the dealers your friends can help oodles, as well..

I do about ten races per year at anywhere from $25-55 each, not including my running races, bike races, and the like. Joining a bike team can help in the schwag department, as well. It might not be free, but you can land excellent deals with a small $$$ involvement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot, d.j!!! I thought I was in the sub $2000 / year category until I read through this thread. Heck, this weekend's Boilermaker with my wife and I is going to run my over $500.

And the little irony here is that because we do this, we live longer ... If you are looking to make sure your kids get a big inheritance, the I guess the money will be better spent on cigarettes and good liquor ... we might spend the same amount per year but without the long lifespan. I say, let the kids make their own money ... Here's to hoping my kids have enough money after I die to pay off my latest credit card bill ... and hopefully they will enjoy using up the remaining Accelerade and Endurox still in the pantry ... and, of course, that fine bottle of red wine that I was saving for after the race on Sunday.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: $ after the big $equipment is bought [Chubby Hubby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other day I was at a LBS where a man purchased a new Softride Rocket R1 - mostly just like mine, full Record10, carbon crank...all the right parts...damn near $8k!!!! Thank GOD that I dont have to pay retail for anything...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
......and my weight coach, tri coach, physical therapist, .......
Quote Reply
Re: $ after the big $equipment is bought [huffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this week alone so far: $92 on a USE Alien carbon post NIB, $230 on Ovals 1 piece bars w/Syntace levers, $7.50 for some repairs that I didn't have time to do, $27 for a new back tire after the old one blew up at 37mph down a hill. Thank the lord for wire beads as 4inches of sidewall disappeared. $11 on 2 tubes, $6 on 2 CO2 cartridges. (got a flat, fixed it then had the spare tube blow)
Last week: $800 on my new custom TT frame
Next week a credit for $1917 for a TT frame I sold!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a Buzz Kill this topic is! and thank you for that bitter dose of reality!

I was very happy keeping my head buried in the sand and saying witty little things like "It's only money" or "I'm sure I'll regret that (Rocket R1, Dura Ace, Alfa-Q Pro, etc...) on my Death Bed" or "I work a second job for a reason". I just started adding the cost for this year alone. New bike, travel, etc. Egads!!! It's true, I've got a real monkey on my back here. I've turned into a some kinda' "Stuff Junkie" with a bad case of Wander Lust. That said, my wife just started doing triathlons this year. Last week alone she says to me "I think for our Anniversary I'd like and Alfa-Q fork"! The Velo News that comes to our house isn't in my name it's in her name! So I don't get to read it until she's done with it! This little problem of mine is only going to get worse. Now, I find I'm married to an Enabler. Is there a 12 Step program or something I should be checking in to?

On second though never mind, and please pass me the Zipp wheels. Did someone say Dura Ace 10 speed for 2004? WOW! New Scandium sprint bike with aero... everything maybe? I Jonesin' here! I need a Fix, and a new aero drink bottle just ain't going to cut it. If I were down to my last dollar, I probably would spend it on a Gu.

This is sad... very sad... but can you think of a better way to live your life? I'm sure I'll regret all these awsome memories on my Death Bed. Besides, it's only money!

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: $ after the big $equipment is bought [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd make mine Vanilla Bean.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish that my life was one hobby orientated. Problem is that tri shares hobby time with scuba diving, photography and skiing. All of them are expensive and spreading my hobby money over more than one is the reason why I can never quite afford the bike, camera, or dive trip that I really lust for.
Quote Reply