Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$80-$100 cycling baselayers
Quote | Reply
For any of you with $80 - $100 cycling baselayers, what do you think of them? Worth that crazy premium?

For what it's worth, I just ordered and received some Assos hi-end stuff including their $90 baselayer. It's really lightweight, has a great cut, my wife wants me to keep it. But I'm sending it back! Even though I can afford it, I can't fathom how this baselayer will serve me any better than my trusty $15 baselayers I got from some random Chinese company on Amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I absolutely love my merino wool base layers. They are super comfortable, and have a wider temperature range than most other synthetic undergarments / base layers. But so is my $15 Duo-Therm underwear. And my $10 Champion wicking T is my go to baselayer on warm and hot days. Assos garments are well thought out, and constructed. And of course, they are fashionable in the cycling venue. But they are no better than the cheaper garments you can get at Walmart, Amazon, your local outlet store or where ever. While there can be small differences in comfort, I put function before comfort in the hierarchy. I'm suitably comfortable in most any base layer that fits, so it's not my priority. Function is a priority, and in my experience paying higher prices doesn't buy any degree of added function - the wider temperature range of wool notwithstanding.
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you air dry the merino wool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally, I wash on delicate cycle, then dryer on delicate or super delicate, then hang to finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my 25+ years of cycling I can only thing of once that I paid that much for a jersey. No way I'm paying that much a base layer. Amazon knock-offs for me or Craft Cool Mesh when I can find them on sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Spatzwear baselayer that I impulse purchased a while back, and it's pretty great. When it's authentically cold out, I don't really want to ride in any of the other stuff in my collection.

They make the best booties in the business, too, for anyone who is venturing out in truly cold/wet conditions.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some Craft base layers that are about ten years old and still wear as new. Assos stuff a little younger. I run and ride a bit during the winter so pretty regular use. I have little experience with other brands but the few I have been given as gifts over the years have not held up over time. I am pretty rough on my gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing is better than Brynje in my opinion. I've used almost every base layer and Brynje is the best.

https://www.brynjeusa.com/...ategory/super-micro/

It looks like it would never work because of the mesh. However, it works the best of anything I've ever used.

The reason it works the best is because it is light and doesn't soak up sweat. The goal of a base layer is to move sweat from the skin outwards.

The worst baselayer for sweaty and high moisture cold weather activities is wool IMO. A wool shirt will weigh like 2 lbs more after a workout than a brynje layer. You'll end up freezing to death if you stop with all that sweat stuck to your body. Wool is great for low sweating activities but not for actives like xc skiing or cycling or running.

Downside of Brynje: It is not cute whatsoever. There is a reason companies don't copy the mesh design...no one will buy it. Bryne got a more S&M vibe that some people are into.
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Assos garments are well thought out, and constructed. And of course, they are fashionable in the cycling venue. But they are no better than the cheaper garments you can get at Walmart, Amazon, your local outlet store or where ever.

I'm all for saving money, and sometimes, I bargain shop. And, if people want to do that great. And, Assos prices can certainly be ridiculous. But, the quality is far superior than even industry-known brands, let alone a generic brand at Walmart. The idea that the cheaper garments referenced above are on par with Assos quality is complete nonsense, in my opinion.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 12, 20 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
NealH wrote:
Assos garments are well thought out, and constructed. And of course, they are fashionable in the cycling venue. But they are no better than the cheaper garments you can get at Walmart, Amazon, your local outlet store or where ever.

I'm all for saving money, and sometimes, I bargain shop. And, if people want to do that great. And, Assos prices can certainly be ridiculous. But, the quality is far superior than even industry-known brands, let alone a generic brand at Walmart. The idea that the cheaper garments referenced above are on par with Assos quality is complete nonsense, in my opinion.

As someone in this industry, different consumers have different expectations / values. This is true on things like "Quality", "Design", "Aesthetic", etc.
For some the increase from Hyundai to Mercedes has "value", for others, not so much.

Such is the same for cycling apparel:
Some think "All I do is sweat in this, so I'm not going to invest!"
Others think "All I do is sweat in this, so I am going to invest!"

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
NealH wrote:

As someone in this industry, different consumers have different expectations / values. This is true on things like "Quality", "Design", "Aesthetic", etc.
For some the increase from Hyundai to Mercedes has "value", for others, not so much.

Such is the same for cycling apparel:
Some think "All I do is sweat in this, so I'm not going to invest!"
Others think "All I do is sweat in this, so I am going to invest!"

Well said. That was my point but not said as eloquently. You can argue that the value proposition of Assos may not be great, but the quality is top notch.
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [xcskier66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcskier66 wrote:
Nothing is better than Brynje in my opinion. I've used almost every base layer and Brynje is the best.

https://www.brynjeusa.com/...ategory/super-micro/

It looks like it would never work because of the mesh. However, it works the best of anything I've ever used.

The reason it works the best is because it is light and doesn't soak up sweat. The goal of a base layer is to move sweat from the skin outwards.

The worst baselayer for sweaty and high moisture cold weather activities is wool IMO. A wool shirt will weigh like 2 lbs more after a workout than a brynje layer. You'll end up freezing to death if you stop with all that sweat stuck to your body. Wool is great for low sweating activities but not for actives like xc skiing or cycling or running.

Downside of Brynje: It is not cute whatsoever. There is a reason companies don't copy the mesh design...no one will buy it. Bryne got a more S&M vibe that some people are into.

I was going to mention these, I wear mine for cold rides that I'm going to sweat a lot and am always both warm and dry. Really weird looking, also shrink like crazy if you accidentally put them in the dryer. It's the only base layer I would buy for high output winter activities.
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [xcskier66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brynje works, real deal. This stuff also very durable. I've had it about 8 years, I bought it after a similar Castelli item lasted about 3 washes.
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on North Face base layers? I’ve never bought anything from them, but they have a nice nurses discount through the end of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be honest, I'm a Pactimo ambassador, but I haven't tried their base layers yet.

I do have some base layers from a mainly European company, Decathlon. I bought mine in London. I think they're sold online too for $20.

https://www.decathlon.com/...eless-base-layer-500?

If you want a discount code to try Pactimo's give me a message.
Last edited by: damn lucky: Nov 13, 20 13:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen them, but if you're getting a discount on nurses you definitely take advantage!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
Any thoughts on North Face base layers? I’ve never bought anything from them, but they have a nice nurses discount through the end of the year.

I believe strongly that base layers need to be on skin to be effective as a "baselayer" and not just another layer. This does not mean "tight" persay, but they ought to be engaging stretch.

Looking at The North Face base layers, they are hanging loose which I believe is less than ideal.

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Nov 13, 20 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

Well said. That was my point but not said as eloquently. You can argue that the value proposition of Assos may not be great, but the quality is top notch.

Agree completely.

[thread drift]
For a brand this is a common conversation. How do best serve both consumers? It's very difficult to support both high-end product and value-oriented product. The more you focus on one, the more it detracts (in the consumer's eyes) from the other. There's a reason Toyota Motor Corp. Has three brands (Scion, Toyota, and Lexus) to serve 3 price-tiers.
[\thread drift]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
For any of you with $80 - $100 cycling baselayers, what do you think of them? Worth that crazy premium?

For what it's worth, I just ordered and received some Assos hi-end stuff including their $90 baselayer. It's really lightweight, has a great cut, my wife wants me to keep it. But I'm sending it back! Even though I can afford it, I can't fathom how this baselayer will serve me any better than my trusty $15 baselayers I got from some random Chinese company on Amazon.

$90 for a baselayer. No f'ing way. $10-20 base layers from AliExpress, or there commercial identical twins for $20-50 are good enough for me. Even those I wait until they go on sale.
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Care to share a link? I went to buy a Black Friday Craft, and got irritated with the $75 price point.

Yes, I should just drop the coin given that the vast majority of us have come to terms with this sport being expensive. However if you've found a nice $20 alternative....I'm in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
Care to share a link? I went to buy a Black Friday Craft, and got irritated with the $75 price point.

Yes, I should just drop the coin given that the vast majority of us have come to terms with this sport being expensive. However if you've found a nice $20 alternative....I'm in!

For midweight and lightweight, these LAPASA work great. You can pick either lightweight or midweight (different price) in the color selections, pay attention to the labeling before you buy. (Heavyweight is a different link)

I returned the Assos I bought, ended up getting Lapasa mid and heavyweight. The heavweight is almost sweatpants-thickness and blocks like 80% of wind (my estimate) on its own without any windproofing since it's so thick. I think light and midweight are best for cycling, but if you know you'll be in colder dark canyons that can drop to freezing on an easier effort, it works great even just with a minimal jersey on top.

No doubt, craftsmanship and materials are superior on Assos, but at least for baselayer, no performance gain in my opinion.

The $$$ jackets are nicer, in particular fit more body-snug compared to cheap jackets on Amazon, but no joke, I found a $35 jersey with front windproofing on Amazon that works so well at 37-50F that I returned everything else pricey as well.

It's actually pretty amazing at how functional the cheap stuff is compared to the $$$ stuff. Like 98% of the function for 1/5th the price. As well, if you train hard at some point, like very hard intervals or hard climbing, you'll overcome the breathability of all the fancy Windstopper etc membranes - I think these membranes are a lot more useful for folks who try to keep a steady lower effort and intentionally not pour sweat off. Zippable layers def work better than all the membranes - you can zip down to your thin baselayer if hot on a hard climb, even if you've got 3 on.
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 27, 20 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: $80-$100 cycling baselayers [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'll be honest, I'm a Pactimo ambassador, but I haven't tried their base layers yet.

I was going to mention Pactimo as a good alternative. I only have their zero weight baselayer, but it's really nice. They have everything on sale right now so it's a good mix of quality without paying so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of DeFeet base layers (one white and 'soft', the other thinner and a sort of brown color). They work great. Last year, just before a trip, they were misplaced and I needed one for travel. Bought some knockoff from Amazon for super cheap, but mostly b/c it arrived in two days, arriving before the trip started. Just fine from a performance POV, but the fit is not nearly as good as the DeFeet and the sewing is rougher. If I had to buy today, I'd probably hit a middle ground - something above the Amazon cheapies but not $90...I'd look for a recognizable name in the $40-$55 range...
Quote Reply