Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$600 vs $3000 bike
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have searched and can't find anything so please feel free to point me in the right direction. Thanks

I recently had a fit done and it confirmed my thoughts that my 2013 Cervelo P2 is one size too big (purchased second hand 2 years ago to see if I liked time trialling, I do so it's on the market and I'm looking for a new bike). We have fitted it the best we can for now but it is still a bit too big.

I like the P2 because it has standard brake positions and stem and has heaps of adjustability.

I was looking at second hand bikes and I can buy a second hand older (10 speed Ultegra) Kuota Kalibur for $600 AUD which has the same brake/stem set up or a new P2 (11 speed 105) for about $3000 AUD.

I will put my race wheels on either.

I'm not super fast, averaging about 35kmh for a 25km TT with limited training time.

My question is, is there any real benefit in buying the Cervelo when, if it fits, the Kuota (or another second hand bike if any come up) is so much cheaper?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers
Last edited by: Bianchi928: Apr 25, 19 4:30
Quote Reply
Re: $600 vs $3000 bike [Bianchi928] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't been a data freak for years now, but isn't the frame one of the least bangs for your buck when it comes to time savings (based on pure aerodynamics)?

Assuming you can get similar, optimised positions on either, then I would have thought you'd get more time savings spending that $2400 difference on upgraded wheels/helmet/bars then you would on the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Main thing is fit, particularly given you've got fit issues on your current bike. So whatever you do, work with a fitter and make sure your next bike is going to fit well and have enough adjustability to allow your position to evolve a bit over time. E.g. if flexibility is currently a bit of a limiter and something you're likely to improve, make sure the bike will allow you to get lower as it does.

Assuming you can get a good fit on either bike, then all other things being equal (race wheels, snug-fitting suit, aero helmet, clean front end, smart hydration placement, etc) there isn't a huge difference between frames themselves as far as I'm aware. So really comes down to how much you're happy to spend in the pursuit of marginal gains.

Personally I'm still riding a 2005 QR Lucero with 2008 Zipp 808s, so I'm likely giving up a reasonable amount of time to the most cutting edge equipment, but up until now I've been OK with that as the equipment is good enough for me to turn in a decent bike time (2:18 at my last 70.3) and overall I'm not in contention for podiums or KQs so a few minutes here or there isn't that big a deal to me, or at least isn't a big enough deal to spend $$$ on when I can make much bigger improvements on the swim and run. However what I would say is that I feel there is no point in spending money on any bike upgrades (wheels, bars, drivetrain, etc) with the current frame. So as and when I do upgrade (and it's likely to be this year as I'm now getting into ITT and TTT where I can be competitive and where a minute or 2 here there is a big deal) I'm looking at a whole new bike. I would say a new P2 is a significantly more "upgrade-worthy" frame than a second-hand Kalibur, so if you're looking to incrementally improve your equipment over the next few years I would be tempted to stretch to buy the P2 new as it's less likely to hold you back and lead to a much more expensive replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: $600 vs $3000 bike [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this.

A long as the top tube isnt too long you can have a lot of fun with second hand upgrade options... Disc, helmet, seat, pedals...

If its your first bike have a bike racer come along to check the state of bearings, wheels, drivetrain but really at that price everything is replaceable
Quote Reply
Re: $600 vs $3000 bike [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't been a data freak for years now, but isn't the frame one of the least bangs for your buck when it comes to time savings (based on pure aerodynamics)?

Assuming you can get similar, optimised positions on either, then I would have thought you'd get more time savings spending that $2400 difference on upgraded wheels/helmet/bars then you would on the frame.
^ I'm with this guy. Especially since, at 35kmh, you're probably not racing for sheep stations.

Buy the bike that fits.
Get comfy (fit adjustments and saddle as required)
Optimise the shape of the meatsack that's perched on top. (helmet, skinsuit, position)
Then worry about the bike details. (aero bar, wheels, etc)

Plus it's way more fun to beat people on more expensive bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could post pictures of your current fit. I'll guess that your current P2 could be adapted with a bar stem combo for less.
One size too small normally isn't too big a deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bianchi928 wrote:
I recently had a fit done and it confirmed my thoughts that my 2013 Cervelo P2 is one size too small

I doubt it. I agree with bluntandy. I'm 6' spent years riding a frame that is shorter than anything Cervelo makes, and never had an issue with handling (even 50mph descents). This is the *only* potential problem you could have with a "too small" frame. If the supposed issue is that the bike isn't tall enough (stack) that is flat out silly. Super easy to fix. Post up some info and photos... be happy to show you how to do it. Very good frame BTW. Don't get rid of it if you don't need to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bianchi928 wrote:
my 2013 Cervelo P2 is one size too SMALL... fitted it the best we can for now but it is still a bit too BIG.

too small or too big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What year is the the Kuota Kalibur? The older models that Stadler rode were aero dogs. Not sure about the newer model.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: $600 vs $3000 bike [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doh. Too big. Apologies
Last edited by: Bianchi928: Apr 25, 19 4:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes sense bianchi928. I am also 6 foot and ride a Cervelo P2 which is why I found your post interesting.

If it's too big I guess that's a problem & maybe you need a new frame.

Had it been too small, then as others say there are the obvious workarounds: high saddle and a long stem. Which is what I have on my 54cm P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bianchi928 wrote:
Doh. Too big. Apologies

What is "too big" about it?

That bike is very adjustable. Still at least 95% sure you don't need a new one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emma Pooley was among a number of elite female riders who were stuck riding a cervelo that was 1-2 frame sizes too big but made it work. Here are pictures of her on a P2 and a P3 (https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/...ampion-Emma-Pooley-0 and https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...e-650c-wheels-273313) and quick google will reveal a lot of other shots of how she modified her bike.

I am not advocating you stay on a bike that's too big but its an adaptable bike if you are willing to play around with it. The biggest compromise is handling and you do need to be carefully about throwing money at unusual parts when trying to bodge a fit.
Quote Reply
Re: $600 vs $3000 bike [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your post and feedback (and apologies again for putting wrong info in the original post).

This has given me something to work with. Hopefully leading to being in a better position when on the tri bars and not needing to run a really short stem with the seat as far forward as possible.
Quote Reply