Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$500 fine for passing cyclist incorrectly...
Quote | Reply
The City of Edmond, OK is trying to make the streets a safer place for those on bicycles. It comes in response to two deadly accidents last year. In just one weekend last July...

Motorists will now be required to give cyclists at least three feet when passing.
If a driver's caught not obeying the ordinance, they could face a $500 fine.

http://www.kfor.com/...tory,0,6846135.story
Quote Reply
Re: $500 fine for passing cyclist incorrectly... [astevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope it helps. But I think it's going to depend on how the police enforce it.

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Re: $500 fine for passing cyclist incorrectly... [Jiowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention if they see. Hardly ever see the police in the country where I ride
Quote Reply
Re: $500 fine for passing cyclist incorrectly... [Jiowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jiowa wrote:
I hope it helps. But I think it's going to depend on if the police enforce it.

fixed it for you
Quote Reply
Re: $500 fine for passing cyclist incorrectly... [FisH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly.

The last two close calls I had with cars passing me way to close were police cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's a bigger fine then hitting and killing a cyclist typically is.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hate to rain on your parade but this has failed every time it's tried. Here's the scenario, a motorist gets a ticket for being too close (I know, I know. We have to suspend disbelief in the case of this example). So motorist gets ticket. Motorist goes to court and asks police man (woman), "Did you measure the distance?" "How did you determine the distance?" "Oh, you eye balled it?"

Judge says "case dismissed".

All of this COST MONEY to the jurisdiction. No more tickets will be issued.

If they can figure out how to make money by busting divers that are dangerous to cyclists then we will be protected. Until then, watch your back. And watch the back of you fellow cyclist (even if he is a roadie, fixie hipster, triathlete, mtn biker, or whoever else you "hate").

Quote | Reply
ah, but in Flagstaff, AZ a cyclist IN a bicycle lane was passed too close by a city bus, the driver was issued a ticket AND convicted of the same 3ft law. Even with the cyclist in the bicycle lane and the bus did NOT cross into the bike lane, he was fined. BTW - there's a video camera in each bus and it showed the entire incident!!! L O L !!! This law in AZ now holds true even if you are in a bike lane and the vehicle does not even cross into your lane. The car MUST clear you by a minimum of 3 ft.

In most cases its gonna be a "he said she said" thing about the distance to get a conviction. I'm betting they'll think about doing it again after they miss a day or two of work, maybe hire a lawyer, etc. and lose money anyway, even without a conviction.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: $500 fine for passing cyclist incorrectly... [596] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bus drivers in Santa Barbara seem to have diplomatic immunity or something. Very dangerous. Virtually untouchable. Gotta love the Teamsters.

Quote | Reply
"All of this COST MONEY to the jurisdiction. No more tickets will be issued."

BTW - that's not true. Police officers have assigned days, in most departments, to be in court. They produce alot more tickets then just tickets for the 3ft law. Cops can have 50 or more tickets on a docket in one day. It costs nothing to issue that ticket, its just one more case to be heard out of dozens. In these cases, without an accident, a prosecutor is not involved, its just the cop, the bad guy and maybe his lawyer. In this case there is no direct cost to this ticket to the state, city, county, etc.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our city passed a similar law, but it's 5 feet here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It costs nothing to issue that ticket, its just one more case to be heard out of dozens. In these cases, without an accident, a prosecutor is not involved, its just the cop, the bad guy and maybe his lawyer. In this case there is no direct cost to this ticket to the state, city, county, etc.

Really? You can issue a ticket, send out the notice to appear, reply to driver's request for a hearing, have the cop, judge, stenographer, clerk, etc. spend 15-20 minutes dealing with your case in court ALL FOR FREE? Zero cost? Wow! Arizona really has efficient government. I assume you guys don't pay any sales, property, income, etc. taxes? Man, better not let this info go public. Arizona will be very crowded. I gotta go pack my stuff. Know of any places to rent while I look for house out there?