Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review
Quote | Reply

Prior to purchasing these carbon fiber wheels I tried to research how other people’s experience was purchasing “un-branded” carbon fiber wheels from China. I found a lot of people asking the same questions I had, but I didn’t find a lot of answers from people who actually purchased wheels.

So here is my review based on actually purchasing $500 carbon wheels from Kwinster.com

My expectations

I was not expecting to buy wheels of comparable quality to $1,500+ Zipps or HED wheels. I was expecting lightweight wheels that performed well, felt sturdy and held up during my training rides and races. Did I get this? The answer is YES.

I’ve ridden my friends Zipp and Reynolds wheelsets and the biggest difference to me was the hubs. Overall the high-end wheels do feel a smoother than my chinese wheels, it is only noticeable during full force efforts on flats. That being said my wheels from Kwinster are significant upgrades from the stock wheels that came on my CAAD10. I’d say the difference between the stock aluminum wheels and the chinese carbon wheels is significant and the different between the chinese wheels and the Zipps and Reynolds was less so..albeit having Zipps on your bike gets serious style points. On a side note the weight between the Zipps and the chinese wheels were comparable and much lighter than the aluminums that came with my bike. That said it was the deeper V that made the biggest impact since I ride mostly flat terrain (I noticed the difference even in slight wind)

How long have I had the wheels?
The latter half of the 2015 season. Put about 600 miles on them. Ridding them on my commute and group rides.

How did I choose a vendor?

I had read mixed reviews about a lot of chinese vendors, but I was still determined to test the waters myself. I had originally planned to order off of ebay until a friend told me about PlanetX. PlanetX imports wheels from China and gives them their own brand. I figured there was probably more quality control through PlanetX than on ebay. Unfortunately, PlanetX is based in the UK and after shipping it was going to cost around $1,000. That is when I found Kwinster, which basically does the same thing out of Southern California, they also sell other cycling related items, but wheel imports appear to be their focus. I was very happy with them. Shipping did take around 3 weeks, but they are very upfront about this, so I was expecting it to take awhile.

Would I buy them again?

Yes. If I had more discretionary funds, I’d grab some Zipps , but I feel I got a major upgrade for a fraction of the cost going with Chinese wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [bdoyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought some 88mm from Lightbicycle and they were OK. I had them a year and then buckled the front when I hit some metal object in the road. I'm surprised it
buckled so easy to be honest. No idea if the same would happen with a "genuine" wheel like Zipp. I didn't end up going with Chinese wheels again, I sold the rear and gave the front away and ended up buying 2nd hand Zipp 1080/808s for $1000.I paid AUS $660 (inc shipping) for my Chinese wheels, so really not a massive saving when you consider the 2nd hand market, not really worth it in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRA.

Hahaha...
Totally legit!

zedzded wrote:
I bought some 88mm from Lightbicycle and they were OK. I had them a year and then buckled the front when I hit some metal object in the road. I'm surprised it
buckled so easy to be honest. No idea if the same would happen with a "genuine" wheel like Zipp. I didn't end up going with Chinese wheels again, I sold the rear and gave the front away and ended up buying 2nd hand Zipp 1080/808s for $1000.I paid AUS $660 (inc shipping) for my Chinese wheels, so really not a massive saving when you consider the 2nd hand market, not really worth it in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
JRA.

Hahaha...
Totally legit!

huh? I buckled my wheel when I hit something in the road.. what's not legit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I split a ZIPP hitting something in the road.

JRA, FYI....

zedzded wrote:
windschatten wrote:
JRA.

Hahaha...
Totally legit!

Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

JRA, FYI....

zedzded wrote:
windschatten wrote:
JRA.

Hahaha...
Totally legit!

Ah OK.. I didn't know wheels buckled that easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a 50 mm carbon clincher rear from carbon-cycle. Had been using my 808 rear for both training & racing & decided I wanted to save it for just racing, plus bought a wheel cover and it's a hassle to install & remove for races. So wanted a training wheel that didn't require me to change brake pads, which is a real PITA on the rear wheel on my speed concept. For my racing wheel, I would buy a Hed next time for the aluminum brake track but got a great closeout deal on the 808.

Pluses:
Pretty light wheel for this depth, ride nicely.
Delivered quicker than promised.
Seems at least moderately aero.

Minuses:
Finish quality on inside of clincher bead is not great.
A bit out of true as delivered, did a bit of touch up myself and couldn't quite get completely true, but adequate enough.
Braking isn't great. There's plenty of grab, but the modulation is not very good, the wheel has a bit of pulsing when I brake hard, making it overly easy to lock up.

Summary: Glad I didn't buy a full set as the lack of braking modulation would be a show stopper for a front wheel. For the price, they're acceptable but no more, don't buy these thinking you're getting Zipp or Enve quality, that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might want to ask Slowman about advertisement before hawking your products on the forum.

From the black friday thread:

bdoyle wrote:
Kwinster.com is offering $25 off Carbon Fiber Wheelsets with code BLACKFRIDAY. Wheels range from $450 - $650 for a set. The deal is already open and ends on the 30th.

FYI so you don't end up like DISHED Wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
windschatten wrote:
JRA.

Hahaha...
Totally legit!

FYI,

JRA = Just Riding Along.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bdoyle wrote:

Prior to purchasing these carbon fiber wheels I tried to research how other people’s experience was purchasing “un-branded” carbon fiber wheels from China. I found a lot of people asking the same questions I had, but I didn’t find a lot of answers from people who actually purchased wheels.

So here is my review based on actually purchasing $500 carbon wheels from Kwinster.com

My expectations

I was not expecting to buy wheels of comparable quality to $1,500+ Zipps or HED wheels. I was expecting lightweight wheels that performed well, felt sturdy and held up during my training rides and races. Did I get this? The answer is YES.

I’ve ridden my friends Zipp and Reynolds wheelsets and the biggest difference to me was the hubs. Overall the high-end wheels do feel a smoother than my chinese wheels, it is only noticeable during full force efforts on flats. That being said my wheels from Kwinster are significant upgrades from the stock wheels that came on my CAAD10. I’d say the difference between the stock aluminum wheels and the chinese carbon wheels is significant and the different between the chinese wheels and the Zipps and Reynolds was less so..albeit having Zipps on your bike gets serious style points. On a side note the weight between the Zipps and the chinese wheels were comparable and much lighter than the aluminums that came with my bike. That said it was the deeper V that made the biggest impact since I ride mostly flat terrain (I noticed the difference even in slight wind)

How long have I had the wheels?
The latter half of the 2015 season. Put about 600 miles on them. Ridding them on my commute and group rides.

How did I choose a vendor?

I had read mixed reviews about a lot of chinese vendors, but I was still determined to test the waters myself. I had originally planned to order off of ebay until a friend told me about PlanetX. PlanetX imports wheels from China and gives them their own brand. I figured there was probably more quality control through PlanetX than on ebay. Unfortunately, PlanetX is based in the UK and after shipping it was going to cost around $1,000. That is when I found Kwinster, which basically does the same thing out of Southern California, they also sell other cycling related items, but wheel imports appear to be their focus. I was very happy with them. Shipping did take around 3 weeks, but they are very upfront about this, so I was expecting it to take awhile.

Would I buy them again?

Yes. If I had more discretionary funds, I’d grab some Zipps , but I feel I got a major upgrade for a fraction of the cost going with Chinese wheels.

Just so you know, you can buy Planet X wheelsets in US for around 500-600. If I was going to buy cheap chinese wheels, I would do so from PX, at least you get some quality control, rather than some brand like kwinster.

Just to clear things up, would you please let us know if you have a financial connection to this kwinster?
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guy posted the exact same thing on weightweenie forum as well. Thanks for being so 'helpful' with the review...
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Braking isn't great.

This^. The brake track quality on the unbranded carbon clincher rims is generally abysmal. That's really the main reason I have Zipps.
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:

Braking isn't great.

This^. The brake track quality on the unbranded carbon clincher rims is generally abysmal. That's really the main reason I have Zipps.

I wouldn't advise people to not buy Chinese wheels, but perhaps explore your local 2nd hand market first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
windschatten wrote:

JRA, FYI....

zedzded wrote:
windschatten wrote:
JRA.

Hahaha...
Totally legit!

Ah OK.. I didn't know wheels buckled that easily.

I hit some crud on the road (it looked like a lump of asphalt about 2-3" thick) at over 70kph in the rain (IMNZ 2009). My HED3's survived (even after launching me in the air). My titanium seat rails both snapped and my balls ended up spread all over the top tube, but the HED3's survived unscathed. I didn't even get a pinch flat!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Chinese carbon clinchers have been great for me training and racing over the past year. I have done numerous cra and cda tests and they perform equally to my other set of top branded wheels. They have survived some very rough rides and potholes. They stop on a dime when my brakes are properly adjusted. Just saying.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my trispokes. They really are bomb proof.
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just sold mine :-)

They only fitted my old 650 tri bike and I ride 700 now. TriSpouse said they were worth half a motor for the 1960's wooden boat I'm restoring, so I sold them. I'm still allowed to be sad, right?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be pretty stoked with a boat!
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Might want to ask Slowman about advertisement before hawking your products on the forum.

Fake reviews are even worse than hawking your product directly on the forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bricklayer wrote:
I'd be pretty stoked with a boat!

By saying I have a boat, might be glorifying it a bit. I bought an old14 foot Kauri (native NZ timber) clinker construction motor boat, from the 1960's. It's been in the same family since new. The dad died a few years ago. Eldest son inherited it but it really didn't suit his needs and he didn't have space to store it. His younger brother is a boat builder and fibreglassed it. He also has depression so never finished it. That's where I came into the picture. I stole it for $500 and am now restoring it. It will take all summer and then some (I'm a bit finicky when it comes to woodwork). It's a bare hull pretty much. It needs floor, seats, lights, gauges, motor, trailer and, and and........ If I get it on the water for under $5k I will be very happy. Currently I'm finishing the fibreglassing and replacing the transom.

The real trick will be finding a period outboard that's good enough to restore to reliable working condition.

We live just 1 km from the beach and the nice protected Hauraki Gulf in Auckland. Lots of islands to visit and the fishing is pretty awesome too.

Once it finally gets on the water, I will be a happy camper for sure.

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of tubulars that are FFWD knock-offs from Ebay. I have been happy with them so far. The bed of the rim where you glue has a few imperfections, but overall not bad. Biggest beef is that I was sold mine as legit FFWDs only to find out later (problem with the seller, not the product). I paid $500 for mine, thinking it was a good deal because used. So just be aware of that type of stuff if you're considering buying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
I just sold mine :-)

They only fitted my old 650 tri bike and I ride 700 now. TriSpouse said they were worth half a motor for the 1960's wooden boat I'm restoring, so I sold them. I'm still allowed to be sad, right?

Which ones did you have? I'm pretty happy with mine but I can't speak for how aero they are. They sound cool though.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the velobuild for my brother. 50mm deep, 25mm wide, their "true U". I rode them and thought they were awesome, he has had them all year and no complaints.

I have a set of 88s from ebay, 23mm wide and U shaped. The front is great, spins smooth, strong, sturdy. The back is awful. So I guess it's hit or miss, for the price I did not lose much. The rear seems as though the fairing has too little layers of carbon. It buckles and make snapping sounds lol. Brutal!

One thing we both did notice - is the difficulty to mount tires. It's very difficult to mount a tire (on our sets at least), impossible to mount new rubber. So get your thumbs ready even if you do get a good set!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bricklayer wrote:

Now that would be an interesting wheel test. Lots of manufacturers claiming their frames and wheels are bomb-proof, but have we ever really seen such a test?
Where are Mythbusters when we need em?
Quote Reply
Re: $500 Chinese Carbon Wheels Review [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zissou wrote:
bricklayer wrote:

Now that would be an interesting wheel test. Lots of manufacturers claiming their frames and wheels are bomb-proof, but have we ever really seen such a test?
Where are Mythbusters when we need em?

Ship me your wheels and frame, I'll try yours first. ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next