Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$500 - best crit frame for breaking my collar bone?
Quote | Reply
I've got almost everything needed to build up a crit bike except the frame. What is the best frameset to be had (probably used) that will be a really good crit bike? I want to beat the crap out of it, and possibly crash it if necessary. My initial thoughts are aluminum frames like CAAD9 or Soloist. I'd like to get a consensus. Thanks guys!
Quote Reply
Re: $500 - best crit frame for breaking my collar bone? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've got almost everything needed to build up a crit bike except the frame. What is the best frameset to be had (probably used) that will be a really good crit bike? I want to beat the crap out of it, and possibly crash it if necessary. My initial thoughts are aluminum frames like CAAD9 or Soloist. I'd like to get a consensus. Thanks guys!

CAAD9 for sure. Stiff, responsive, durable, relatively light. That's what I race!
Quote Reply
Re: $500 - best crit frame for breaking my collar bone? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way too many good bikes out there to get a consensus. I also race an AL Cannondale. I've crashed it 3 times and it has survived each time. Light, stiff, nice handling and they can be found pretty cheaply. I know it works too, because my collar bone is currently broken.

TCW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built up an aluminum Solist with Easton EC90 Aeros and I am presently leading the Thursday Night Crit Series, so it seems to be working for me. It's stiff, responsive and fast!. To each his own though....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Umm... what does crit stand for?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size?

I've got a Fuji Rubaix Comp that's aluminum except with carbon fork and seat stays. It's a nice frame for your purpose. It's 56cm. It won't cost you much.
Quote Reply
Re: $500 - best crit frame for breaking my collar bone? [Jiowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Here is the answer.
Quote Reply
Re: $500 - best crit frame for breaking my collar bone? [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What size?

I've got a Fuji Rubaix Comp that's aluminum except with carbon fork and seat stays. It's a nice frame for your purpose. It's 56cm. It won't cost you much.

Thanks so much for the offer, but not interested in that bike. And, I'm a 54cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn something new everyday!

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned several bikes that are much better than my own ability and recently bought an S1/Soloist Team for rain/crap/dirt/crits and that bike is amazing. I am selling my other two road bikes and sticking with it. So if you want a 54 cm Scott Addict or a 54 CM BMC SLC01 I'll sell you one but for your purpose (and mine as well) go with thS1/Soloist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Here is the answer.

Best website ever. I can't tell you how many times I've wondered why people can't just type their damn question into Google. I hope you don't mind, but I'll be using this one a lot in the near future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the CAAD9. I think that's the perfect crit bike. Stiff, responsive, not too expensive. Don't think you'll find a new one for $500, though. Soloist is a good choice as are the Fuji and aluminum from Giant of Specialized, too.

Google Alan. You may find something to your liking.

Finally, Planet-X has their aluminum frameset on clearance at $375. I've never ridden it, but it looks like a great deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+2 on the CAAD9. I bought one back in 2007. Light, good geometry, stiff and cheap. I cut the "lawyer tabs" off the front fork with a Dremel tool and it was ready to go. Yeah sure it doesn't feel like carbon and you might marginally feel less "fresh" after a 80 mile road ride but screw it. You won't cry when you lay it out in a hard turn at 33 MPH behind a pile of broken carbon and weeping riders trying to figure where they will find the $3K+ to replace their frame when you are looking at a few hundred. If you don't crash valiantly at least once a year you are either not racing enough or riding aggressively enough. The math changes a little once you start riding Pro/1/2 events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leader bikes. Or, better yet, buy a used Cannondale. Then be a man and race it as a 54x12 single speed.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply