Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$5,500 to spend - let's see how you'd spend it...
Quote | Reply
So there have been a few of these "questions" in the past, but thought I get a fresh take...

Long story short - I was in a cycling accident a few months ago and my 2011 Cervelo P3 and tubular Zipp 404's are a total loss. I've got $5,500 to spend; how would you maximize these funds for a new tri specific setup as I already have a road bike? (I'll have already gotten a tri-specific fit.) The P3 worked well for me, I was very comfortable in aero...(I'm fairly fast but nothing crazy....Half IM bike split times are around 2:30.)

Some considerations:
  • I've never had a power meter and believe this might be a wise investment
  • Would like to have a race ready set up as well...(I still have the Wheelbuilder Aerojacket for my rear 404 for races...)
  • New bike, New Old Stock or pre-owned? Which?
  • Wheels - type and New or pre-owned?
  • Assume I don't need helmet, shoes, pedals or hydration.

Let's hear your thoughts and opinions on the approach you'd take to maximize the dollars.

Let the fun begin!
Quote Reply
Re: $5,500 to spend - let's see how you'd spend it... [obohlman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5500 GUs? all flavors.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Last edited by: Mr. October: Jul 3, 13 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: $5,500 to spend - let's see how you'd spend it... [obohlman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would look at the deals posted in classifieds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt DA4. Fits similar as the P3. $3600
Powertap in an Open Pro Rim. $1000
Flo 60 or 90. $450
Wheelcover. $100

$350 left for beer or 15 minutes with Suzy Hamilton.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
generic training wheelset with powertap - $7-900 (classifieds)
Deep front wheel - $3-600
808 powertap with wheelcover for racing - $1000
Used bike out of the classifieds - the other $3000.

Maybe pick up one of the last model garmins (705 works excellently) for $100 or so.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You always get the best bang for your buck used, but only if you have enough experience to know what to look for. That being said:
1. The Flo wheels seem to have the highest ROI. At some point (maybe even now) clinchers will leave tubulars in the dust. Maybe even tubeless.
2. At our level of competition I believe that frame fit trumps frame aero. Find another P3.
3. The stages power meter is one hell of a good deal. Buy the Rival/Ultegra crank and never look back.
4. Electric shifting. I spent 15 minutes at the side of the road at IMTX trying to sort out a bike that was dialed, DIALED, before I started. I can't explain it, but if I never had to worry about cables again I would do so. Ultegra electronic shifting can be had for $1,200.00
5. Make this one go to 11. Time trials are probably the only place that it makes a difference, and since you are starting from scratch, you aren't limited by your old wheels.

I think you will have a hard time staying under $5500 unless you are looking used for the frame/wheels or go cheap somewhere. A new set of 404's with powertap is north of $3K just to start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how much work you want to do. Ultegra/Rival level superbike (that fits) + Flo 90/disc + preferred power meter (new stages or used quarq). I would make sure to get whatever is compatible with my road bike and stay 10-speed.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you liked the P3, then I'd consider getting a P3 Ultegra (2012 or 2013). The 2013s list for $3600 and I'm sure you could find a killer deal on a used P3.

If your components from your old bike are still good, I'd definitely scour the web and shops for deals on a P3 frameset. If you can't find a good deal there and want new, I'd buy the P3 Ultegra and sell off the parts.
Quote Reply
Re: $5,500 to spend - let's see how you'd spend it... [strathconaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4. Oh this point x1000. I had someone smack and bend my rear derailleur at IMUK70.3, only having 3 usable gears on the rear cassette for that course was hellish. Auto index on di2 for me on any bike I buy from this point out.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt DA4
Stages PM / Cateye Stealth 50
Flo Disc

I'd go new across the board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hookers and blow.

This is always the correct, default answer to the "how should I spend X amount of $" q's.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

P3sl - $1k
Vision aluminum aerobars/base bar - $100
cheapest version of the saddle I liked - $100 (with any luck)
Microshift derailleurs/shifters, 105 (or no-name) compact crank, KMC chain, Vision brake levers, Omega brakes. ~$1k
Nokon cables - $200
H3 / 404 Front - $500
Tough cheapo front wheel - $100
Bomb proof Powertap Rear - $1k
Wheel cover - $100
Race Tires and Training Tires - $200

Used bike, bars and wheels, everything else new.

Still got a grand to spend on some blow.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: $5,500 to spend - let's see how you'd spend it... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Hookers and blow.

This is always the correct, default answer to the "how should I spend X amount of $" q's.

This is exactly what I came in here to type...so there goes that.

Are you Bill Clinton?
Quote Reply
Re: $5,500 to spend - let's see how you'd spend it... [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:

[..]

Nokon cables - $200

[..]

Still got a grand to spend on some blow

Wait, what?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflex, powermeter, electronic shifting.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point in time:

http://store.insideoutsports.com/...3571&detail=true

+

http://www.westernbikeworks.com/...KclLgCFadxQgodMUMAtg

That leaves you with ~$700 to get an old pair of 404s (which should be doable easily).

Might have to go a bit over budget if you need a fancy pants 810 or something - but if not, I'd bet you could end up with that bike, wheels, the powermeter, a used 500, and Conti GP4000s for under $5500.00.

Actually - scratch all that. just browsing the classifieds - you can find similar deals on bikes. I'd buy used.
Last edited by: SurfingLamb: Jul 3, 13 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: $5,500 to spend - let's see how you'd spend it... [JasonW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why bother with the generic version when Felt's DA 4 is cheaper, can be had locally, and though the TTR wheels are more shallow they are cfd/wind tunnel designed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you still have the wrecked 404's? If so, you might be able to get new firecrests @ crash replacement cost (~$400 each I think). If you bought from wheelbuilder, you can upgrade to a PT hub in the new build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EPO

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2k on used bike and wheels.
3.5k to take a few weeks off of work during peak time of training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how tall are you? what size p3 did you ride?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: $5,500 to spend - let's see how you'd spend it... [TriPigeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriPigeon wrote:
4. Oh this point x1000. I had someone smack and bend my rear derailleur at IMUK70.3, only having 3 usable gears on the rear cassette for that course was hellish. Auto index on di2 for me on any bike I buy from this point out.

I don't understand this comment. If someone smacked and bent a di2 derailleur, you think it would work fine?
Quote Reply
Re: $5,500 to spend - let's see how you'd spend it... [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you knock one a little out of whack, the auto indexing will give you at least some functionality, it's not ideal, but it's not a total mauling like mine took (even hopping off the bike, trying to bend it back once I realized what was up, and trying to reindex on the fly only partially worked).

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Re: $5,500 to spend - let's see how you'd spend it... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
how tall are you? what size p3 did you ride?

5'9" and rode a 54 P3.

Some great, and amusing, comments! Keep 'me coming!
Quote Reply

Prev Next