Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$4k to spend: Felt DA4, BMC TM01, or other?
Quote | Reply
Trying to find the best bike for the money. Really like the Speed Concepts, but looks like the cheapest one with integrated bars is the SC9.5 at $6k.

Basically narrowed it down to the DA (which rides superbly) and the TM01 Ultegra, which I haven't been able to ride/see in person.

Thoughts on these two bikes? Or other options in my price range? Not a fan of Cervelos and I can't bring myself to like the wonky-looking Shiv with its fat downtube.

I really like the Felts components but don't mind BMCs Ultrgra at all really. Really don't like the Felts exposed front brake though.
Quote Reply
Re: $4k to spend: Felt DA4, BMC TM01, or other? [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another option you might not have considered, you can also go used and get a nicer bike for less money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a main brand bike- hard to beat Felt for 'bang for the buck'.

but isn't the BMC fit very different than the Felt? So- you'd fit on one, or the other, but not both?

I solved my Felt front brake problem by just sticking a big Torhans bottle in front of the front end. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't the BMC $5k?

I'd go with the BMC. Have you looked at Giant's? The Trinity's are nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a speed concept 9 with the integrated bars. To me they are great but they don't make the bike. I'd go for a 7 series Speed Concept and never look back.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by hankscorpio [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott Plasma?
Quote Reply
Re: $4k to spend: Felt DA4, BMC TM01, or other? [hankscorpio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently had the same dilemma and same budget.

Ended up just barely over the 4k mark:

- new Felt B12 frameset
- SRAM force component group (new)
- SRAM TT900 carbon shifter upgrade and TT900 carbon brake levers
- ZIPP new Vuka base bar and carbon aerobar setup
- ZIPP 808/404 wheelset (slightly used, eBay purchase)

While the DA frame is newer generation, they do not offer the DA frame alone unless you want the full-on DA frame which is $5k alone. The 'off the shelf" basic DA (complete bike) was $3900 (in budget) but had lesser components than described above and heavier, basic wheels.

I 'spose I paid more money for arguably an older frame design but got better 'stuff' with it. And it is bad-ass.

Now if I could only get my fat sorry ass to find another 3 miles an hour through effort without trying to purchase it instead....
Quote Reply
Re: $4k to spend: Felt DA4, BMC TM01, or other? [Voice of Reason] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Voice of Reason wrote:
I recently had the same dilemma and same budget.

Ended up just barely over the 4k mark:

- new Felt B12 frameset
- SRAM force component group (new)
- SRAM TT900 carbon shifter upgrade and TT900 carbon brake levers
- ZIPP new Vuka base bar and carbon aerobar setup
- ZIPP 808/404 wheelset (slightly used, eBay purchase)

While the DA frame is newer generation, they do not offer the DA frame alone unless you want the full-on DA frame which is $5k alone. The 'off the shelf" basic DA (complete bike) was $3900 (in budget) but had lesser components than described above and heavier, basic wheels.

I 'spose I paid more money for arguably an older frame design but got better 'stuff' with it. And it is bad-ass.

Now if I could only get my fat sorry ass to find another 3 miles an hour through effort without trying to purchase it instead....

I forgot to mention, the main reason I did not buy the Speed Concept is because it says 'TREK' on the frame like 18 times. That's obnoxious to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should read this thread:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...um.cgi?post=3879344;

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my DA, absolutely in love with it. Aside from the wheels (which you can tell Felt made an honest effort to move them from "basic training wheel" to a entry level race wheel) it is a superb ride. I 'may' buy some new wheels soon, but considering more watts can be saved elsewhere I am not in a rush. The Metron shifters kick ass, super smooth and comfortable... and will definitely grab the attention of any passer-by-ers at your next race. I agree the standard front brake may seem a little behind, considering a lot of bikes are starting to come out with a covered version, but you have to keep it mind that the front brake has been situated on the front fork for years and years... and people continuously break bike records regardless.

But IMO, after being in the same dilemma as you for weeks and weeks, that the DA is best bang for your buck.

-----------------------------------------------------
But, he said I was an Ironman.
Last edited by: kwolo8: Apr 16, 12 22:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it fits, our Kestrel 4000 with Ultegra or Sram Red should do nicely!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used P3/P4 frame, with new Sram Red build and 3t/Hed aerobars.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the DA...I recently bought a DA3 and love it. Coming from a 2010 Slice 5 it feels worlds better in terms of frame stiffness handling and ride quality. Great bang for the buck in the DA line. I wrote a review on my blog as well.

-------------
My Stupid Blog
Gatorade EndurAlliance Ambassador
Last edited by: trikicks: Apr 18, 12 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: $4k to spend: Felt DA4, BMC TM01, or other? [trikicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great review!

-----------------------------------------------------
But, he said I was an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: $4k to spend: Felt DA4, BMC TM01, or other? [kwolo8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, good luck on your search! Happy to answer any questions about the DA. Won my first TT on it this past weekend too. Definitely felt fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops, that was for the OP :) Glad you also like your DA too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

And, D'oh on my part, the BMC TM01 is $5000 as someone pointed out. I could have sworn the Ultegra version was $4000. Guess that's out as I don't have $1k of wiggle room in my budget.

So after doing some rides this week, I am really happy with the DA and think I'm going to go with that. However, I also like the Shiv Comp (after riding it, still not a huge fan of the fat downtube), which is $3300 and upgrading the front derailleur/crank to Force with TT chainrings would put me right where I want to be component-wise for not much extra.

Both the Shiv and the DA fit me well according to the shop. Is this just down to personal preference at this point? Supposedly the Shiv is a little more aero, but who really knows. I really do like the DA's metron shifters.
Last edited by: jjabr: Apr 20, 12 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Shiv and Felt have completely different fit points according to my fitter. That's why I went with the DA4- it's long and low. So far, it has been a great bike and I have no regrets getting it. It's a heck of a deal with the Dura-ace mix components.

I'm not 100% sold on the Metron shifters. They are ok, but can be a little more difficult to use when your hands are sweaty. Will probably go back to regular bar-end shifters on it.

speedySTATES
Last edited by: fartleker: Apr 20, 12 5:45
Quote Reply