Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$4k Peloton Treadmill - Would you buy it?
Quote | Reply
Just saw that Peloton, the $2k spinbike company, is launching a $4k treadmill.

https://www.nytimes.com/...-future-gadgets.html

At first, I immediately though "heck, no!" as I assumed it would be a $1000-equivalent treadmill with a monitor slapped on for virtual classes.

Interestingly though, the unit looks a lot more like a Woodway-style design, with moving slats. Dunno if it's any better, but it's def not the typical $1-2k treadmill deck design from the pics.
Quote Reply
Re: $4k Peloton Treadmill - Would you buy it? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty nice. I'd strongly consider it as against the Woodway if I were in a cold weather climate. The price doesn't strike me as too exorbitant if it is as advertised.
Quote Reply
Re: $4k Peloton Treadmill - Would you buy it? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the Verge,

" Its controls are meant to be intuitive; the slat-deck running surface, made of carbon steel and thick rubber, is designed to have less impact on a runner’s body than the flimsy single-band tracks most are used to. There’s a secret storage compartment on the machine’s base, for workout accessories or sneakers. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
Looks pretty nice. I'd strongly consider it as against the Woodway if I were in a cold weather climate. The price doesn't strike me as too exorbitant if it is as advertised.

I wonder if you'd have to also get the monthly subscription when purchased??? That would definitely turn me off. One of the things I looked for when I purchased a treadmill three years ago was as few frills as possible, but a need for robust motor.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: $4k Peloton Treadmill - Would you buy it? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article says Peloton's service is $39/month additional. I would imagine you don't have to use their service though. If the thing has cable tv capability or apps, that would aid in the decision since it has a nice big screen.
Quote Reply
Re: $4k Peloton Treadmill - Would you buy it? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:

I wonder if you'd have to also get the monthly subscription when purchased??? That would definitely turn me off. One of the things I looked for when I purchased a treadmill three years ago was as few frills as possible, but a need for robust motor.

I dunno, but I'd be shocked if they let you run the treadmill without the subscription, which seems to be the main differentiating and selling point of these items.

I'm like you - I couldn't care less about the classes/subscription, but I'm intrigued by the looks of that Woodwayesque treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So my girlfriend has the bike, and at first I thought what a waste of money. But I have to say the entire ecosystem is pretty cool. I like the quality of the bike and the live classes are actually kind of fun. I worry about the display technology getting old quickly, but I think they are doing a good job with the equipment. It's premium for sure, but when the power meter didn't work correctly they sent someone out to fix it right away. So I'd say yeah, I'd consider buying it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$4,000 for a treadmill only means that one has an overabundance of disposable income. Get outside and run for $0 or buy a treadmill for $1,000 to $1,500 like the ones at every gym across the nation. Other responses that made me laugh were the one about storage under the deck for shoes, clothes, etc. Yeah, that totally justifies the high price tag right. As well, cable TV compatibility. Okay, so it does indirectly come with a subscription cost. Sorry, but sometimes you see that products are geared toward folks with money to blow. The only thing good about it is that it could have less impact on the body. How about cutting down the garbage yards and making the training miles count. That easily can reduce impact. Totally not worth it IMO.
Last edited by: mwanner1: Jan 9, 18 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: $4k Peloton Treadmill - Would you buy it? [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, anybody who's dropping $2k on a freaking spin bike has PLENTY of disposable income. And apparently, the market for smart TMs is 3-4x bigger than the very successful Peloton market. So there is cash to go around!

My Sole F80 is great, but I have to admit that my one hangup about it is that the deck gets pretty hot after 60+ minutes of running faster than 8min/mile. I used to think it was just my feet getting sweaty, but now that I'm with minimalist shoes, it's definitely the deck. And yes, I lube my deck - a LOT. Like every week, and even before every longer 75+ min run, just to keep it as cool as possible. So a slat-type TM that doesn't heat up the deck would be very welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
$4,000 for a treadmill only means that one has an overabundance of disposable income. Get outside and run for $0 or buy a treadmill for $1,000 to $1,500 like the ones at every gym across the nation. Other responses that made me laugh were the one about storage under the deck for shoes, clothes, etc. Yeah, that totally justifies the high price tag right. As well, cable TV compatibility. Okay, so it does indirectly come with a subscription cost. Sorry, but sometimes you see that products are geared toward folks with money to blow. The only thing good about it is that it could have less impact on the body. How about cutting down the garbage yards and making the training miles count. That easily can reduce impact. Totally not worth it IMO.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:

Wow, what a douchey response.
Quote Reply
Re: $4k Peloton Treadmill - Would you buy it? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heh - I actually didn't think his response was THAT douchy - I actually felt the exact same way before I read the article - like "who the F needs a smart-enabled treadmill!?"

Then I remembered I would have said the exact same thing except x10 about the Peloton bike (given stuff like Trainerroad and Zwift which is cheaper in every dept, and arguably better trainingwise) and yet that's a $1 billion company as we speak. They're lucky I'm not their CEO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:

who gives a damn what someone else spends their money on?

everyones needs are different. myself personally, i dont always have the ability to go outside and go run like i want. if i had my way id run every day of the week outside, but its just not feasible. life gets in the way.

where i work, OFFSHORE, i cant go run outside. so im stuck on a treadmill. a $4k treadmill thats easier on my body is much better than the precor "gym level" ones we have. however, im thankful i have the precor option to work with.

so should i just give up running completely?

also, some people NEED the accountability and guidance. a class atmosphere is always a good motivational tool. not everyone has the same personal drive and commitment.

so, should someone that has the income or desire to buy a product like this NOT because its expensive and gimmicky, but fits their needs?

drink your cup of tea and let everyone else drink theirs.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: $4k Peloton Treadmill - Would you buy it? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I’m not trying to be a douchebag, it just comes naturally I guess. Lol. To answer the question, I don’t think it’s worth it for me. It could be for others, but to me I think there are better values. In addition with all the bike costs in this sport I could never justify a $4,000 treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman was sold for 650 million, and Peloton is valued at 1.25 billion, per the article based on recent outside investor funding. Pretty interesting. I do have a friend that raves about their peloton workouts. It might be the same reason so many riders use zwift, also like their peloton: high motivation app to get a great workout done indoors, in the comfort of your home.
Quote Reply
Re: $4k Peloton Treadmill - Would you buy it? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
Ironman was sold for 650 million, and Peloton is valued at 1.25 billion, per the article based on recent outside investor funding. Pretty interesting. I do have a friend that raves about their peloton workouts. It might be the same reason so many riders use zwift, also like their peloton: high motivation app to get a great workout done indoors, in the comfort of your home.

"comfort of your own home" is key here.

getting on the trainer in front of the tv and safely getting 20 miles in before the day really gets going, and that 20 miles being STRUCTURED work is better time spent versus getting out and fighting morning traffic with all the rednecks where i live.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply