Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$4.50 for a bottled water at the movie theatre....AND I PAID IT!
Quote | Reply
I just brought my kids to a movie here in NH and got banged this amount for a 31oz's of water. The sixteen oz version was $3.50. I am not sure how coorporate companies like Regal cinemas dont get hit with price gouging here in the US. Is it legal to charge whatever idiots like me will pay? The irony here is Staples is a stones throw from the theatre in Newington and they now have a 24 pack of 16 oz bottles for $4.50. This is like a well over 1000 percent markup isnt it?
Quote Reply
Re: $4.50 for a bottled water at the movie theatre....AND I PAID IT! [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I refuse to buy food at the movies! We sneak in microwave popcorn and a can of soda. Here in SoCal, a SMALL popcorn is $4.50 and a small soda is $3.75. I laugh because you can buy a CASE of soda for a bit over $5. Total gouge!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: $4.50 for a bottled water at the movie theatre....AND I PAID IT! [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of the reasons I haven't been to a theatre in over 6 months. I am fine with Netflix and my own water, pausing the movie when I need to, and countless other reasons I don't like the theatre.
It would take a pretty special movie to get me back there anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is why I never go to the theater - plus when I did go back in the day...well...usually there was some DNA left behind....ah, the good old days. I miss cheerleaders.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always bring my own water and munchies to the movies. It is insane what they charge!

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff

It's not even school vacation week yet and your spending $4.50 on water for the ankle biters? It's gonna be a looooong week!

Microwave popcorn? Right-o. I think you mean these don't you?

Ha, ha. Yes! The chocolate Zingers! Drroooolllll!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bring in an empty water bottle and fill it at the water fountain. But then I have no qualms about drinking tap water; some folks do, and some rightfully so. I even do that for hockey games when I have to limit myself to 1 beer (i.e.: driving). AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my husband and i gave up the bar scene, but have always been huge movie go'ers. we go to several movies a month, and watch more at home.

we don't have cable, but do have Netflix and go to Blockbuster's. so we're heavy users.

when we go to a matinee (it's ALWAYS a matinee) we do buy the popcorn and a drink. for us it's no big deal, especially since that's is a date for us. i count on spending 13 or 15 dollars on movie refreshments.

my husband doesn't like to break rules...so he disapproves of me "sneaking" in candy, etc.

i figure that i used to spend 13 bucks (the same price as refreshments) on one bottle of wine, so what the hell. it's not a big deal, and it makes for a fun date.

:)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Feb 18, 07 16:22
Re: $4.50 for a bottled water at the movie theatre....AND I PAID IT! [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speaking of sneaking food in.....a few years ago I snuck a smelly onion filled Italian sub into Donnie Brasco. They were smelling me ten rows all around me. And yes, it will be a long vacation week with the kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but what better food to eat and smell for that movie than an Italian sub? you were just helping provide the appropriate atmosphere. The movie theater really should have paid you for that.

In Reply To:
speaking of sneaking food in.....a few years ago I snuck a smelly onion filled Italian sub into Donnie Brasco. They were smelling me ten rows all around me. And yes, it will be a long vacation week with the kids.
Quote Reply
Re: $4.50 for a bottled water at the movie theatre....AND I PAID IT! [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do you know we don't buy a small and split it?

some people thrive on being negative and very judgmental, clearly from your responses, it seems you are one of them.
Last edited by: kittycat: Feb 18, 07 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: $4.50 for a bottled water at the movie theatre....AND I PAID IT! [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
my husband and i gave up the bar scene, but have always been huge movie go'ers. we go to several movies a month, and watch more at home.

we don't have cable, but do have Netflix and go to Blockbuster's. so we're heavy users.

when we go to a matinee (it's ALWAYS a matinee) we do buy the popcorn and a drink. for us it's no big deal, especially since that's is a date for us. i count on spending 13 or 15 dollars on movie refreshments.

my husband doesn't like to break rules...so he disapproves of me "sneaking" in candy, etc.

i figure that i used to spend 13 bucks (the same price as refreshments) on one bottle of wine, so what the hell. it's not a big deal, and it makes for a fun date.

:)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: $4.50 for a bottled water at the movie theatre....AND I PAID IT! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!
hey, if a "gainfully" employed person cannot afford to go out on a date and spend 15 bucks for refreshments at the movies, something is wrong.

as for me being a "rich woman" and spending frivously, come to our house next time you're in town. it would be like a trip through a history muesum for you...complete with rabbit ears on the television, a 30 year old refrigerator, a newly repaired (20 year old) washer, and no microwave. i think you'd get a real bang out of it! :)
Last edited by: kittycat: Feb 18, 07 17:59
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: $4.50 for a bottled water at the movie theatre....AND I PAID IT! [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would love Austin. We have a chain of movie theatres here called the Alamo Drafthouse and they show first run movies and even special release movies or cult movies along with serving beer and regular food. The best part is that the beer is priced the same or cheaper than most bars and the food is just as reasonable. Tickets are either the same as or $1 cheaper than most of the other theatres.

Scottsdale, AZ used to have the drive in theater that would show double features. Bring your girlfriend, subway, your beer, your dogs, and enjoy! I thinkthe IMAZ course goes right by the place.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Re: $4.50 for a bottled water at the movie theatre....AND I PAID IT! [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...We sneak in microwave popcorn and a can of soda...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word...

Camelback!

I personally find the whole movie experience nowadays not worth the expense. Especially the "commercials" that many theaters now play at the beginning. Last year, I think I saw a max. four movies. I usually try to hit the late matinees and splurg on a nice dinner afterwards.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]

...[/reply]
Has anyone looked for a sign? I just checked the local theaters web site it makes no mention that you can not bring in food or drink. I dont go often, and have not looked for a sign recently.

Just wondering.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we go on a date, I'd like to be the woman.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drive-In!

Lay in the tailgate with your honey or your tri-bike depending on which you like more.

Bring whatever food and drink you like

2 movies for the price of one

Bring your dog -- don't forget the Frosty Paws http://www.frostypawstreats.com/FrostyPaws/

http://www.driveintheater.com/index.htm
http://www.drive-ins.com/

Our favorite -- Route 34 Drive-In Earville, IL http://www.rt34drivein.com/ - grass instead of gravel in the parking lot, tour the projection booth between features and no light pollution. Closed in February - BRRRRRRR!

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HD Plasma TV w/surround sound, leather recliners, and a 300+ DVD collection, ~$10,000. Being able to watch a movie at home with the family,whenever, priceless!

Oh yeah, the microwave popcorn and bottle water are very reasonable at our house.
Quote Reply
Re: $4.50 for a bottled water at the movie theatre....AND I PAID IT! [goggles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we have a 61 inch plasma in the cellar with a kicking surround sound system yet the kids still love to get out and see the new releases
Quote Reply

Prev Next