Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!!
Quote | Reply
My last experience with cheap bibs wasn’t great, I bought a pair of $50 shorts off Amazon and I was underwhelmed. The straps were loose, the leg openings undersized, and the chamois had no density.

But, I really needed new shorts. All my shorts, besides the Amazon ones, are over 20 years old and well past their service life. But I’m not all that enthusiastic about spending 150-250 for a pair of bib shorts. I checked out the black bibs (theblackbibs.com) but they didn’t have my size in the $40 bibshorts.

A few months ago Decathlon opened a store in Halifax, so yesterday I finally made it across the bridge to check them out. Picked up their least expensive shorts (c$45 , or about $35usd ) along with some overgrips fir walking on ice, some bright yellow cycling socks, a trainer tire, and a couple of Bjorn Borg terrycloth headbands, all for a bit over $100 incl tax.

Put the kids to bed and fell asleep right away last night, so I woke up at 3am. So I decided to try out my gear.

Installed the new tire, put on my new socks (nice and thin, and left/right specific) and new shorts. Padding was a bit stiff initially, but quite dense, a good sign. And the legs fit well, along with the torso.

An hour later I got off the bike and felt great. I was pleasantly surprised! Everything stayed where it should, even with no leg grippers. They also sell some higher end shorts (a whopping $85), a $12 jersey that I’ll probably pick up for shorter rides, and even an aero jersey with 5 pockets (3 back plus 2 side trash pockets).

Durability is the only questionmark, but they seem like they’re well made. I didn’t see any stray stitches anywhere. Material seems good.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 31, 21 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: $35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link for the bibs? I know you got them locally, but to make sure I order the same, a link would be helpful. Thanks.
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Jan 31, 21 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: $35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!! [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.decathlon.ca/...amp;objectID=2541194

That’s the link, but if that doesn’t work they’re easy to find on decathlon.ca

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are also great "bang for the buck" bibs...

https://www.amazon.com/...oding=UTF8&psc=1

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: $35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!! [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:

I've also had good luck with that brand- their base layer sleeveless shirts are very nice.

What's interesting is I picked up a NeoPro kit some time ago, pretty pleased with it ( particularly the size and fit) despite the 'Made in China' tag. For whatever reason I was under the impression it was Aussie made, I should have known. That kit came in the same exact packaging as the Przewalski product. Perhaps they are the actual manufacturer?
Quote Reply
Re: $35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!! [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decathlon kit is ace. Good quality and cheap. So much so that you can't believe it's going to be as good as it is. I have found that sizing is all over the place, so trying things on is a must.

It's my favourite store and the kids love it to. So much stuff for most sports and outdoor activities. 🤩

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love me some cheap ass shorts/bibs. I've got many pairs of Amazon cheapies and BlackBibs and they all work great. The only "expensive" bibs that I have are some $80 Pearl Isumi's that I found on sale awhile back. I'm too cheap to pay any more than that.
Quote Reply
Re: $35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!! [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zissou wrote:
I've also had good luck with that brand- their base layer sleeveless shirts are very nice.

Yes. Those are an excellent value, too.

https://www.amazon.com/...FCR24GMJRF37B3?psc=1

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:

I just picked up a pair of the thermal bibs for cold weather from them. $49 and I'm impressed. I've only got 2 rides in them but I don't have any complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:

Definitely! I've got a couple of pairs and use them for commuting all the time. No complaints at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in 2015, I bought 3 pair of $7 non-branded cycling shorts and 2 pair of $9 bib shorts on eBay that came from China on a boat. Still using ALL of them on the trainer. Took about a month for that order to arrive from China, but for value to $$ it was probably the best bang for the buck purchase I’ve EVER made!
Quote Reply
Re: $35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!! [ntl_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntl_tri wrote:
The_Mickstar wrote:

Definitely! I've got a couple of pairs and use them for commuting all the time. No complaints at all.

+1 on these.

I have two pair for Zwifting (to spare my Castelli/Assos shorts for longer outside rides).

"Decided to try these bibs, as I'm doing more indoor rides due to Covid. Just got them and did a 1:45 trainer ride including an ascent of Alpe d'Zwift, so here are first impressions:
They are well made with a good quality pad and stitching. I'd liken them to the bibs you'd get for $75 from places like Performance Bicycle and Nashbar 10yrs ago. They don't compare to brands like Castelli, but those are 3X to 5X more. I wouldn't do a century in these, but for a 20mi training ride or a spin class they are more than good enough. Overall a great value bib for everyday rides.

The cut is US fit. A medium worked well for me, though I usually take a large in Euro fit brands (Castelli, Sportful, Assos, etc.). The straps are on the shorter side (I'm 5'8" and they were slightly tight)."

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was fit size compared to other brands? Thinking I might order a pair to the west coast so hoping to avoid any returns/exchanges
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for these shorts.

Bought a pair over a year ago and they are perfect for indoor rides. The Lycra has lost some elasticity, so for modesty sake, I wouldn’t wear them outside now.

I bought a pair of The Black Bibs at the same time, they have held up much better.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year tried some of “the black bibs” and they were as good as anything I’ve tried including some Castelli competezone I picked up for $90 on clearance. Oddly enough I actually like the no silicone grip. They don’t ride up on my even a little bit and really just slide on my leg. So for me personally it’s an absolute no brainer. My favorite shorts are some of the cheapest.

I know I’ve heard mixed reviews on them. But they’re def worth a try. General consensus from big reviewers is they feel like something up to or equal to the previously mentioned Castelli. And I’d say that’s about right. But for $35 full price instead of $90 clearance I’ll take that all day every day.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:

Thanks. Just ordered
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of my running gear is from Decathlon. Comfortable, durable and great price.
I bought some cheap photochromatic running sunglasses from Decathlon and they are great.
Quote Reply
Re: $35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!! [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same Decathlon bibs, as well as Decathlon Tri-suit. Both are exceptional for the price. I would have much more kit from them if they actually had consistent stock on their US website. Even before the COVID bike boom, popular sized cycling kit was almost constantly out of stock.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: $35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!! [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
Back in 2015, I bought 3 pair of $7 non-branded cycling shorts and 2 pair of $9 bib shorts on eBay that came from China on a boat. Still using ALL of them on the trainer. Took about a month for that order to arrive from China, but for value to $$ it was probably the best bang for the buck purchase I’ve EVER made!
I get 95% of my cycling kits from China. Sometimes they aren't all that good but for the most part they turn out great. But for $35 per kit shipped you can't go wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: $35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!! [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another shoutout for Decathlon. I buy much of my running gear, cycling gear and hiking gear from them, unbelievable quality fro the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is the Chamois on these (and/or the amazon link bibs) versus like the black bibs?

I found the black bibs overall fairly nice for the price, but the pad itself was massive.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

But, I really needed new shorts. All my shorts, besides the Amazon ones, are over 20 years old and well past their service life.

Either you don't ride with others, or you have some really twisted buddies that tolerate looking at your bare ass in the hope of seeing you get ticketed for indecent exposure!

I had a heap of kit that was bought in a period between 2008 to 2012. I thought it was fine right through until later 2019, when I started hearing remarks from cycling buddies. After buying 6-7 new kits I can't believe how loose the old ones feel and how thin and see through they'd become. Needless to say they are all computrainer only now.
Quote Reply
Re: $35 cheap bib shorts.... they don’t suck!! [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

But, I really needed new shorts. All my shorts, besides the Amazon ones, are over 20 years old and well past their service life.

Either you don't ride with others, or you have some really twisted buddies that tolerate looking at your bare ass in the hope of seeing you get ticketed for indecent exposure!

I had a heap of kit that was bought in a period between 2008 to 2012. I thought it was fine right through until later 2019, when I started hearing remarks from cycling buddies. After buying 6-7 new kits I can't believe how loose the old ones feel and how thin and see through they'd become. Needless to say they are all computrainer only now.

Surprisingly, they haven’t gone see-through. I have a pair of Hincapie bibs that are still good (one tiny hole at a seam that is hidden by a jersey, and the leg grippers are done, but I don’t really like leg grippers all that much anyway). My Voler shorts are indoor only, and my Cannondale ones are still opaque but the pad is like sandpaper on cardboard now

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Surprisingly, they haven’t gone see-through. I have a pair of Hincapie bibs that are still good (one tiny hole at a seam that is hidden by a jersey, and the leg grippers are done, but I don’t really like leg grippers all that much anyway). My Voler shorts are indoor only, and my Cannondale ones are still opaque but the pad is like sandpaper on cardboard now

Are you sure? I thought most all of mine were fine too, until I was told in no uncertain terms they weren’t. It can be hard to tell until stretched over your ass with direct sun shining down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next