Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$30 for an IM Banquet?
Quote | Reply
The Vineman IM Banquet for participants is free but my wife and daughter will have to pay $30 each. This is my first IM branded 140.6. Is the food/event worth the price of admission? As I point of reference, I guess, how was the IM Texas banquet? Before I give them more of my money I would like a few more details. Any info is appreciated.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: $30 for an IM Banquet? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would probably get "better" food elsewhere for sixty bucks but you won't get the experience. Take your pick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take your wife and daughter out to dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: $30 for an IM Banquet? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
You would probably get "better" food elsewhere for sixty bucks but you won't get the experience. Take your pick.

Fair enough. I am all for enjoying an experience. What is the typical menu and "agenda" of an IM banquet?

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
mdtrihard wrote:

Fair enough. I am all for enjoying an experience. What is the typical menu and "agenda" of an IM banquet?

Depends on location. Since It is vineman, I can expect to at least get some wine. Ironman WIsconsin, some pasta, with meat sauce, a rather tasty salad, potato and roll. Can't remember if there is any dessert at Wiscosnin.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to my first IM banquet and won't be attending another. It wasn't worth it for free. Then again, some people like mass produced food and hanging out in crowds of strangers. YMMV.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
The Vineman IM Banquet for participants is free but my wife and daughter will have to pay $30 each. This is my first IM branded 140.6. Is the food/event worth the price of admission? As I point of reference, I guess, how was the IM Texas banquet? Before I give them more of my money I would like a few more details. Any info is appreciated.

Event yes, food no. If it is your first, you may want to partake. I've never attended one since my first IM.

Quote | Reply
Go once and take them with you for the experience. It's pretty standard buffet food (I've been to several) but IMO, worth doing at least once.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: $30 for an IM Banquet? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forge those who cut in line or use their hands to get the food out of the trough besides being all rude and selfish in any other way....

It was a gross experience on plastic furniture in an overheated tent.... I'd rather spend the time at a dinner where I can thank my family for supporting me.

If I were racing alone, I might go and fight it out.

Tri-Banter wrote:
I went to my first IM banquet and won't be attending another. It wasn't worth it for free. Then again, some people like mass produced food and hanging out in crowds of strangers. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: $30 for an IM Banquet? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:

More often than not, the banquets are a complete disappointment. What I typically do is go myself since it's already covered, and my wife and daughter will go out on their own and have a far better meal for $60 or less.

I've never been to a quality banquet in the US but I've had a couple good ones in Europe (and one stinker). Nor have any in the US been worth the "experience." YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have been you should have feel what it is like. Food is awful and I skip the food even when it's free. The atmosphere and some of the speakers/motivation can be inspiring if you like that type of thing.

I've never taken my kids only my husband for my first then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine if you skip it. I went to the banquet at my first one, but hat was by far not the most memorable experience of that weekend for me.

Go out to dinner with your wife & daughter, enjoy their time and let them enjoy being with you away from the circus.
Quote Reply
Re: $30 for an IM Banquet? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Raced in six IM's, been to two others that I was registered for but DNS'd. I would never attend an athlete dinner. They could offer to pay me $100 and I still wouldn't go. Can't stand banquet food, can't stand crowds, and I don't particularly like being around a thousand people I don't know... especially a bunch of triathletes two days before a race.

Two of the eight IM's were IMC-Whistler. No banquets. They gave out $25 or $30 vouchers to be used at restaurants in Whistler Village. That I can get behind.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd probably not bother unless you are in a place with few restaurants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've already been given answers that vary, so it is no surprise that I would say the answer is very personal. From a "value" standpoint, no it is not worth $30 per person for the food & event. But, if it is your first IM, it may well be worth it for the "experience". I went to the banquet at my first IM in Louisville 2011 and like mentioned before, it was bland, mass produced pasta & salad. They had a male pro & female pro where they asked a few questions and played some sort of egg toss game. I was glad I went, but said I would skip the banquet in the future.

I did skip the banquet in Louisville 2012 but the group I was with at Florida in 2013 wanted to go to the banquet, so we did. It was actually quite enjoyable. TO & Rinny were at that race to "validate" for the next Kona & Rinny gave a speech. There was also a physically challenged athlete that gave a pretty good talk.

Anyway, don't make the decision based on the $30. Decide if this is the type of event you would like to experience at least once and then make the call.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Jul 5, 16 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: $30 for an IM Banquet? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
You've already been given answers that vary, so it is no surprise that I would say the answer is very personal. From a "value" standpoint, no it is not worth $30 per person for the food & event. But, if it is your first IM, it may well be worth it for the "experience". I went to the banquet at my first IM in Louisville 2011 and like mentioned before, it was bland, mass produced pasta & salad. They had a male pro & female pro where they asked a few questions and played some sort of egg toss game. I was glad I went, but said I would skip the banquet in the future.

I did skip the banquet in Louisville 2012 but the group I was with at Florida in 2013 wanted to go to the banquet, so we did. It was actually quite enjoyable. TO & Rinny were at that race to "validate" for the next Kona & Rinny gave a speech. There was also a physically challenged athlete that gave a pretty good talk.

Anyway, don't make the decision based on the $30. Decide if this is the type of event you would like to experience at least once and then make the call.

As I have read the various responses I guess it seems like for the most part this is a once and done type of thing. The Vineman people have put together quality activities in the past so hopefully that continues even under WTC ownership. For the 2014 25th year celebration they had a Wine and Cheese reception on the Thursday before the race and they did an excellent job with it. I just need to get over the continual sticker shock of the WTC pricing structure and get the full experience at least once.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am probably in the minority, but I go every time because I already paid for it. Sometimes it is pretty neat (Tremblant), but usually it is average (Texas) or downright bad (Arizona). I just don't pass up a free meal when I'm already spending a lot of money on a destination race.

No, it is not worth $30 for family members who probably don't give a hoot about anything discussed on stage.
Last edited by: jpk_phx: Jul 5, 16 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All World Banquet subscription is $100 annually. You only need to do 4 IMs per year to come out ahead. Its a great deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't bother. I don't think I went to the last one and it was free.

Whistler give out a $25 (I think) meal voucher for the local restaurants, which was a way better idea.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: $30 for an IM Banquet? [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, give it (business) to the local places. The Ironman dinners may be good for first or second timers (to meet & see people they may know & experience the mass dinner thing), but after a while, even the first time--the food has never been something that "wow'd" me for quality. The *show* part in Kona is pretty cool when they announce the winners, less cool if it is a drawn out boring speech--though they earned the right to say what they want. Doing your own thing means less hassle in lines and certain better food for both pre & post race meals. Take the $30--spend it elsewhere is my vote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised that there are some IMs still doing a "welcome banquet". The last few I've done gave the meal vouchers for local restaurants, but still had a "welcome ceremony", but no meal.

As others have said, it's fun to go to if it's your first IM, but the food is not even close to being worth $30 a head. Mike Reilly will say motivational stuff, they'll show motivational videos and he'll typically bring up on stage the youngest and oldest in the race, read stats about how many states are represented, honor people that have raised money through their training, and generally try to pump everyone up about their day ahead, but you'll also have to sit through speeches from the town's mayor or chamber of commerce president, etc.

I'd say if it's your first IM, go and bring the fam.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say go- especially if its your first one. I find them to be motivational and entertaining. I will add that not every banquet is the same. Arizona didn't have one. Florida I thought was terrible because it was overcrowded, but i thought Louisville and Wisconsin were both well ran and the food was edible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds like it's your first one. For the food, I'll come right out and say that it's nothing special. Tasty and healthy, but what you'd expect from mass-produced food. But nobody goes for the food. You go because the organizers are going to make a big deal out of your being there, and you get your first taste of race day by being in a room packed with people who're only two days from blasting off. You can talk with other athletes and swap stories or just watch hundreds of people getting ready for one of the best days of their lives.

You only get one first. I would really urge you to take your family to experience it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:

I'll give WTC this, the price was the same, maybe $25, in '99 at IMUSA (Lake Placid), so inflation has not kicked in...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had way better food from a military field kitchen, and it was less crowded.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply